Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki: Organization of Tips and Hints Page
NeoWiki: Organization of Tips and Hints Page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: NeoWiki: Organization of Tips and Hints Page

Looking at the NeoOffice Tips and Hints page, I got to wondering if we should regroup some of the tips in the "Miscellaneous" category by NeoOffice "program." I.E. create a section for Calc tips, one for Math, potentially one for Writer, etc. I note that there is already a Databases section.

I'd be willing to do the editing as time allows, but I didn't want to start making changes without feedback/permission.

Blessings,

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I think that's a good idea. Initially there weren't any Calc, Math, or database tips, and the we added one or two, so we just labeled them as such in the Misc. section. As we're getting more, it's good to break them out (like we've done with the database section).

"Make it so" (but please try to re-arrange the other languages' Tips and Hints pages as well, especially the German one, as Yessica is not here as regularly as the Fr/It/Es teams).

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

I'll work on it as I have time, then. (Probably not for a couple of days, as the weekends are prime work time for me.) I hadn't thought about the parallel pages in the other languages. Initially I wasn't sure I could do that with the Italian version, but I just looked at it, and it looks like I can probably figure it out. I remember enough German to manage that page without too much trouble, especially since I still have my German-English dictionaries. The French version, of course, isn't a problem for me. I didn't see a link for the Spanish version. I know RoyFocker's been working hard on the Spanish wiki. I'll try to remember to watch for when the link for the Spanish tips page is up; I don't know any Spanish to speak of, but if I can manage to rearrange the Italian page, I should be able to do the same for the Spanish one.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:

Another way to check is to click on the link and see where its botlangbar English link points; I used that when I last synced the Fr/De Tips and Hints page with the English one.

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:

thank you LORINDA!
One article for a day is my goal...
Maybe if I leave a personal message to you everytime I finish a translation... ???
Shocked
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I've done some work reorganizing the Tips and Hints page.

I put the module specific tips near just under the "Components" section. I also added a "Templates and Styles" section just above Miscellaneous Tips.

I have also reorganized the German tips page. I'll get to the others as I have time, unless somebody else beats me to it.

I had a question about the Databases section. I'm assuming that it should be reorganized into a 1.x section and a 2.x section. If that makes sense to others, I'll add it to my to-do list. (unless, again, somebody beats me to it Smile )

I also took the liberty of copying the "Using a spreadsheet as a database" link to the Calc Specific section. It now occurs in two places on the page, but I think it makes it easier to find. (That change was also made in the German.)

To Roy: Yes, if you want to let me know when you finish a page, I'll add it to the English tips page and alter the English botlang bars. I can probably do the same with the French. It would help if you can give me the actual English title or, if it is an "original" article you have written in Spanish, a trough translation of the title.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I had a question about the Databases section. I'm assuming that it should be reorganized into a 1.x section and a 2.x section. If that makes sense to others, I'll add it to my to-do list. (unless, again, somebody beats me to it Smile )

The original plan for the "new" database article was to have it be one "master" article that linked to all the others to keep the number of items on the main Tips and Hints page smaller.

At this point, I don't think it's worth even mentioning the 1.x articles on Tips and Hints. If people still need them, they can find the links in the Intro to Databases article.

I'd move the Styles and Templates tips closer to the top. I have mixed feelings about moving the Mac OS X specific stuff "so far" down. I see the logic behind putting the component-specific tips right after the intro, but part of me still thinks they belong right above the Misc Tips section Sad :sigh:

Smokey
/going crazy?

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about moving the Mac OS X specific stuff "so far" down. I see the logic behind putting the component-specific tips right after the intro, but part of me still thinks they belong right above the Misc Tips section Sad :sigh:

Well, one option would be to move the OS X tips above the NeoComponents section.

Quote:
The original plan for the "new" database article was to have it be one "master" article that linked to all the others to keep the number of items on the main Tips and Hints page smaller.

This makes sense, and makes me wonder about another possibility. That would be to move the module-specific tips off the Tips and Hints page to the "Component" articles. It would mean quite a bit of reorganizing. I'd be willing to work on it on the English page, but I'm not sure I have the time or the skills to reorganize all the other languages.

As long as I'm making your life difficult by suggesting more reorganizations Wink , I might as well also ask:

Should the Endnote article go under "Compatibility"

And are any of the remaining "Miscellaneous" tips Writer specific?

Of course, part of what we are running into here is that are as many ways to organize the wiki as there are wiki editors. I'm not tied to the changes I made. I'm a suggestion-maker and a "perfector," by nature, but I'm more than happy to bow to the greater wisdom/authority of the community and/or you specifically as one of those in charge of the wiki. (Respect for authority is also part of my nature Smile )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Of course, part of what we are running into here is that are as many ways to organize the wiki as there are wiki editors. I'm not tied to the changes I made.
I'm a suggestion-maker and a "perfector," by nature, but I'm more than happy to bow to the greater wisdom/authority of the community and/or you specifically as one of those in charge of the wiki. (Respect for authority is also part of my nature Smile )
As one Suggestion-maker to another I think that your suggestions have great merit! Smile
With respect to the community and/or Keeper of the Wiki ( whose name rhymes with Smokey Wink ), of course.

+1
The recent updates to the Wiki have made something good even ... Better! My thanks, and praise.

Philip ( Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1