Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Question about outline bullets in Writer
Question about outline bullets in Writer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Question about outline bullets in Writer

OK, This probably shows how anal I can be, but here goes...

I am brand new to the NeoOffice alternative world (and so far, I love the forum but am not totally sold on the software) so bear with me.

My question is, when I am outlining something, and set the bullets to outline mode, when I increase the indent it changes to the new sub-set appropriately but when I decrease the indent it keeps the subset under which it was working rather than finding the higher level set and continuing it.

Is this some preference setting I have not yet found?

Help! Confused
kmorris
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

The paragraph indentation and the bullet level are two unrelated features. How are you decreasing the indent?

You increase the bullet level using the tab key (at the start of the line), or using the hollow arrow button with tooltip "Down One Level", and undo it (decrease the bullet level) using shift-tab (at the start of the line), or using the hollow arrow button with tooltip "Up One Level".

It's easy to confuse these with the paragraph indent buttons - the icons for the paragraph indent buttons include little red arrows pointing left or right with a stylized block of text, and the tooltips are "Increase Indent" and "Decrease Indent".

If this is not your problem, please reply with a more detailed description of what you see.

-kam
Switch
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

kmorris wrote:
It's easy to confuse these with the paragraph indent buttons - the icons for the paragraph indent buttons include little red arrows pointing left or right with a stylized block of text, and the tooltips are "Increase Indent" and "Decrease Indent".

Kam, you are a genius.

In Microsoft Word, I just use those increase/decrease indent for the paragraph level and it works to also change the level of the outline. I have now found the buttons you are mentioning (hollow arrow that change the outline level and indentation level simultaneously), and the shift-tab command works wonders. I don't know why I did not think of that?! Embarassed

Thanks for your help!
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Icon-dependent

For others who may be confused, the arrows referred to here are on a menu bar which pops up when you turn on "bullets and numbering" eg by selecting the bullets icon. Whether they are hollow and have little red arrows will depend on the icon set you are using. Those using Akua icons will see green arrows: a single green arrow pointing left or right to go down or up one level and a big-small pair of green arrows pointing left or right to move down or up with subpoints [as in 1.2.1 and 1.2.1.1 etc]. uhhh..is that clear? Smile
kmorris
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject:

You can also dock the "bullets and numbering" menu, as I do.

I'd assume that most people are using the default icons - but the tooltips should be the same (of course, then it becomes a question of language as well - I'd guess that the French version has different tooltips, for example).

Is there an icon dictionary somewhere? How can someone using the Akua icons know what we're talking about?

-Kate
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1