· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki: Proposed Style Guide changes
NeoWiki: Proposed Style Guide changes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: NeoWiki: Proposed Style Guide changes

Hi everyone,

I spent a bit of time today working on the templates for different UI features we often have to describe in Neo, and I think they're in pretty decent shape.

I'd like everyone to have a look at the Style and Formatting Guide (which displays the new templates) and let me know what you think.

Window and button both use -moz/-webkit-border-radius properties to make them round-ish, but they degrade OK (IMHO) to distinct items in Safari 1.3.x and presumably in other browsers not supporting these properties (iirc, shipping versions—rather than just WebKit trunk—of WebKit browsers on 10.4 support these, but I'd appreciate someone verifying in Safari 2 and OmniWeb 5.5.x).

Button I went with a blue-ish color to evoke the idea of Aqua buttons, and prefs are grey because they typically are text on a grey background. Window is also grey to evoke the idea of the titlebar (boy do I wish background-image and background-repeat were allowed, so we could get the gradient rather than a flat grey...). Menu is just templatizing the existing menu rule (bold) so that if we ever want to change it, we can simply change the template rather than every mention of a menu/menu item Wink

If everyone thinks these are OK, we can begin the process of back-porting them to all of the articles in the wiki Exclamation Shocked

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I added a template importing method to http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Editing_Default_Styles_and_Using_Templates#Importing_Templates

I tred to follow the new guidelines for templates; not sure if I got everything right. I like the button and preferences templates. I find the dialog title template a bit distracting/unnecessary. --Just my two cents, and from someone relatively unfamiliar with wikis, so my opinion may not count much. Smile
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:

if i could get the wiki at work i'd have more constructive input. rather i'll simply throw in my confidence in smokey's work. (see previous play post)

the biggest thing is consistency, and i think we've done a good job at that so far. And of course reusablilty, which i know we've done (hello blue box!)

-j
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

I like it...! It's very easy to understand...

I'm a wikipedist on the spanish "wikipedia", and there's many groups of bottons that you can use and add to apply "templates", there's a way to add them into "our" wiki...? Wink
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject:

I'd like "rounded" rectangles, more Mac-like than "squared" rectangles which look a bit Win/Lin. Is it possible without a lot of work ?

Why not create a new forum "NeoWiki" and move into it all the topics related with the wiki (topics about It/Es/De/Fr/translations + this one +…) ? (just a suggestion)

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:

The "Window" and "Button" templates look noticeably different in Safari (2.0.4) than in Camino 1.0.3 (they look somewhat rounded in Camino, and rectangular in Safari).

BTW I like the "Window" template as I see it in Camino, but I find the "Button" template unattractive in both browsers ...
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
The "Window" and "Button" templates look noticeably different in Safari (2.0.4) than in Camino 1.0.3 (they look somewhat rounded in Camino, and rectangular in Safari).

And they look different in Safari and in Firefox 2.0.0.1.
In Firefox, the "Window" template is rounded at the top and squared at the bottom, and the "Button" template looks nicely rounded…

Jacqueline
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

Can I get a screenshot in Safari 2.0.4? Perhaps the -webkit CSS properties were only on Webkit trunk, but so much of the web talks about them, without saying "you can't use them now"....

Jacqueline, what browser are you using? Button should be rounded (see above), and is for sure in Gecko, and Window should have the top corners rounded.

Edit: I see you posted while I was writing that.

I wonder what's up with the Webkit properties? Can someone try changing/adding the Webkit ones to -khtml-foo and see if that works in Safari 2?

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Why not create a new forum "NeoWiki" and move into it all the topics related with the wiki (topics about It/Es/De/Fr/translations + this one +…) ? (just a suggestion)

That's OK with me (initially we had a lot more fora, and a lot less wiki talk), if it's OK with Ed (and if he will do it Wink)

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

in Safari 2.0.4.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:

In Firefox 2.0.0.1

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Do we have a final decision on these style guidelines? I just realized that I haven't been using these templates on the page I'm currently translating. It's a simple fix, but it would be nice to know before I finish the page.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject:

Samwise didn't like the look of Button, and I guess people generally were unhappy with the squarish look in Safari (which really can't be fixed easily now, but will be fixed automatically when the next version of Safari comes out)....

Given that they're implemented as templates, I think we can really go ahead and start using them and when we agree on final styles, we can change the templates and all will magically be pretty Wink

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I try to include the "window", "button", "section", etc templates in the wiki. But I'm a bit confused : I don't understand exactly the difference between "section" and "prefName" Crying or Very sad
I don't see any template for the keys "Entry", "F11" etc. Do you plan something for them ?

Jacqueline
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
I try to include the "window", "button", "section", etc templates in the wiki. But I'm a bit confused : I don't understand exactly the difference between "section" and "prefName" Crying or Very sad
I don't see any template for the keys "Entry", "F11" etc. Do you plan something for them ?

I've uploaded an illustration that (I hope) will better explain "prefName" vs "section" (note that we still need to figure out how to mark up the "tree" view on the left side of the prefs window Sad) to the English version of the Style Guide.

Keyboard commands and shortcuts (but not long strings of text) have traditionally been marked up using boldface, just like menu titles/items. There's now a "key" template for these with that style.

Hope this helps Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2