NeoOffice :: View topic - Apache performance tweaks
Apache performance tweaks

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Apache performance tweaks

In light of some of the perceived performance issues that cme up in another forum (and that there's still available memory & processor overhead on trinity) I went ahead and increased the keep-alive timeout and spare server pool size. Trinity has come under higher load in the last few months in terms of number of users (check the "who's online" stats for number of unique IPs active in the last five minutes...they used to be < 20 but now are usually ~100) so I guess we'll see if these tweaks help response times at all Smile

Feedback, either positive or negative, appreciated.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ed,

I have been noticing increased wait times when messages are re-painted. Beyond the time delay for re-painting new answers.

fyi: Funny thing is that PREVIEW still paints pretty fast (when I review messages before SUBMITting).

Philip ( average 100 Guest(s) and 5-10 Member(s) Exclamation )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

OK, thanks for the feedback. If it's a delay while posting chances are that the database may be the bottleneck. Even just in the time since I increased the web server availability the database load has increased significantly. The problem with posting or using private messages is that the database can't "cache" the query. Unfortunately it's always going to be a bit faster at viewing then posting, but I'll see if there's anything I can do to help the database be a bit snappier.

ed
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

No Ed, I have no degradation now. The site now for me is very responsitive. Very Happy

Valter
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:

The keep-alive timeout is 2 mins. Figured 2 mins between clicks on topics and writing posts is probably a good average. That may have done the trick...

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The keep-alive timeout is 2 mins. Figured 2 mins between clicks on topics and writing posts is probably a good average. That may have done the trick...

ed
Ed,
Not sure what that means?

I often take many minutes writing responses. Sometimes I leave my computer for a few minutes while I'm editing a response. Will that be affected? tanks

Philip ( Slow ... thinker! Rolling Eyes )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I never found trinity slow in most cases, but it seems extra-snappy now Smile

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:

No you shouldn't be affected...what will happen is what happened in the past in that the server will just handle you normally Smile Keep-alive is a feature of web browsers that keeps the connection between the web browser and the server open for a specified time period as long as the browser keeps pinging the server. In short, this helps eliminate latencies between making a new connection and potentially spawning a new server process. The increased timeout should help those folks who are browsing through the server by letting their browser reuse the same connection to the server Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Heh well that totally didn't work Smile

I modified the settings again to be quite not as generous...guess I had less overhead than I thought Wink

The keepalive timeout is still longer than it was originally but is nowhere near as long. I believe the machine hit the kernel limit on open connections at some point today, sniff.

ed
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject:

Yesterday afternoon (here in Rome...), it can't be access!!! I didn't have problems first (only with neowiki...)
Thank you Ed for your work.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1