· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Tips to Add to the Wiki
Tips to Add to the Wiki

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I was following some user comments on the fora and found the following items: What is NeoOffice?
Quote:
- Paragraph 4: "How does it do this? Get ready for a pretty technical explanation—NeoOffice adapts OpenOffice.org code that uses the X11 windowing system...."
Do we still need to say X11? I thought Patrick/Ed were using the OOo Windows base code?

- Paragraph 5: "At least that's the goal. At present (August 2006), ..."
Old reference

- Paragraph 6: "Best of all, even though it's still in the "beta" phase of its development, NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta is remarkably stable. It's actually ready to use right now. Thousands of people and organizations use NeoOffice to do their daily work!"
Needs to be undated to Release 2.1?
I did not check everything in detail but this page could probably use some other "minor" updates.

Philip ( Seems to be ... stuck on Marketing / PR! Wink )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Hey Philip,

Didn't someone give you a login to the wiki so that you can fix little stuff without having to post?

Seems easier, and also more rewarding because you can admire you fixes at once..

best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:

That's one of the locked pages (since it's our primary explanation of Neo on the wiki), so in this case Philip couldn't Wink

I've fixed the dates/version stuff. The X11 reference is still correct; on Unix-like systems, OOo runs under X11. On the Mac, Neo replaces any sort of code that would use X11 with calls to Java, Cocoa, and Carbon.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks all,

I think there was a vote and I decided to stay with my (one) strength. Embarassed
I did get a Wiki login (sometime in the distance past). http://www.despair.com/disservice1.html
I seem to be Wiki-impaired and so I concentrate on other things. Rolling Eyes

And I did not remember that that page was one of the locked pages.
I remember the discussion..... ( I'm having some-timers disease )

Plus, Is it really safe to allow "me" the ability to ... Change wording? Shocked
Next thing I'd be thinking is that I could write ... code!! Twisted Evil

Philip ( Runs with scissors Wink )

\. http://www.despair.com/warninglabels1.html
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject:

vote? what is this vote you speak of?

i vote you get your #$@ back to work!

Wink

sorry, practicing being a manager. don't think it is working too well.

seriously tho. go wiki! it keeps a record of EVERY change we make, so at the worse, smokey or i revert a page back to the way it was.

we all kinda learned it together.

just no slashies on articles.
unless it is an article on slashies.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Shocked

Got the first part ( Manager! Wink ) funny!
I'm learning much more about the difference between Leadership (good) vs. Management (not ... so good)

Wiki's ... kinda scare me. All mods and codes and "text" - Oh MY! I worry that a(nother) (secret) vote might be taken by the Mystic Wiki Elves and I'll be forced to toil and slave in a dark and dingy ... Wiki for the rest of my lifes. Shocked
OR
Don't buy that excuse er... Reason. How about I can't edit the Wiki because it (still) does not have a "favicon.ico" So I can't see the link in my bookmarks (or something like that! Rolling Eyes )

Third part: slashies on articles?
Hmmmm, Rolling Eyes OH, you mean the \. thingies?
(Yes, I finally figured out the "\." is Back-Slash Dot. So I'm not hip / cool Cool )
SEE! I'm easy to cornfuse. Confused

Philip ( many be suffering from Drain Bamage Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: "Tips'n'Tricks that somehow didn't make it to the help

I just found a GREAT link on the OO lists. Full of GREAT T I P S!

Tips'n'Tricks that somehow didn't make it to the help (yet) Multiple Sections for:

CONCEPTS
Some available extensions to OOo are the following files:
* Sun Weblog Publisher (from the Sun Store) -- Something New? Would these work for NeoOffice Question
* Professional Template Pack (from Sun Store)

HELP DEVELOPMENT

IMPRESS
- Inserting Spreadsheet Tables into Your Presentation
- Printouts of Your Handouts

WRITER: http://blogs.sun.com/oootnt/category/Writer ,
http://blogs.sun.com/oootnt/entry/writing_vertical_text
- Didn't someone recently ask about "Writing Vertical Text"
- " ... how to add a word count icon to the main Writer toolbar.""

and many MANY MORE!!!!

Didn't have time to search out where it would best fit in the Wiki.

Philip ( Wheeeeeeeeeeee - loves those GREAT web finds! Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject:

Philip,

I added all the links-except for Sun Web publisher--to the wiki, in various places. Even the ones you didn't give me links for! Wink

I added the OpenOffice Help TNT blog to the Blogs section of the Documenation and Resources page.

The Impress and Writer specific tips I added to the appropriate component page. A little hidden at the moment, but I've been meaning to propose revamping those component pages and moving component-specific tips off the long Tips and Hints page to the component pages. Assuming I get around to doing that, the external links will then be in the right place, and more findable.

I didn't add Sun Weblog Publisher because Mac OSX is not on the list of supported operating systems. (It is for the Template Pack, so that got added to the list of Template sources on the main Template page). If somebody wants to spend the $10 and see if it works, I can always add it, but I am hesitant to do so when it looks like it is not mac compatible.

Thanks for the links,

Lorinda
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I didn't add Sun Weblog Publisher because Mac OSX is not on the list of supported operating systems. (It is for the Template Pack, so that got added to the list of Template sources on the main Template page).
If somebody wants to spend the $10 and see if it works, I can always add it, but I am hesitant to do so when it looks like it is not mac compatible.

Lorinda
Thanks.
I have been waiting for someone else to look at Sun Weblog Publishing. I'm not sure if it would work with NeoOffice or not.

I have been thinking about the Templates pack. It would be interesting to see it it includes the templates StarOffice is "famous" for. Rolling Eyes

Guess what, I found some more stuff.
Quote:
Creating Forms in OpenOffice
Introduction
As part of the MVC Data Entry Alternatives project, OpenMRS is attempting to replace its current dependency on Microsoft InfoPath for data entry with open-source applications that utilize the XForms specification. One such alternative is OpenOffice.org, an open-source fully-fledged office suite.

This guide will show you how to [re]create the InfoPath forms that OpenMRS currently uses in OpenOffice. Everything in this guide will work on Linux, OS X, and Windows. It is a work in progress and will be constantly evolving.

Looks like it would be an interesting resource and a way to learn more about XForms in OOo. Cool

Philip ( and the links just keep ... coming! Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject:

I added the XML form link to the Writer Component page. I think Solveig has an article on XML, too, but I don't have time to go looking for it this morning.

Lorinda
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject:

I found some more Tutorials for OOo.

Quote:
Home --> OpenOffice --> OO VideoTutorials OpenOffice Tutorials
http://www.vodes.net/rev/en/Open-Source/OO-Course/OpenOffice-Tutorials/
- Customising Thesis Template
- Course on Customising the template:
- ParagraphStyles
- Page Styles

Philip ( Wheeeeeee Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Philip. I've added the link; I also found the Solveign Haugland XML article I was thinking of.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6