Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Do we need the NeoWiki Early Access page?
Do we need the NeoWiki Early Access page?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Do we need the NeoWiki Early Access page?

I keep noticing that Google puts the NeoWiki's Early Access FAQ pretty high up in its search results. However, the page still feels like it has the "you must buy your way into the program" tone left over from the last EAP.

Since the official EAP page is translated to more languages than the wiki page and the wiki page has a conflicting tone, would anyone have any objections if I chop out most of the text and replace it with a link to the official EAP page? I can leave the "here's how much it costs to run NeoOffice" pagagraphs as that is not duplicate information.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

Why not Smile.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

( +1 )

Edit : Is NeoOffice still averaging 2 million downloads a year ? I thought that number had increased significantly. If this section stays on the EAP-FAQ page, perhaps it should be updated ?

Edit 2 : Having re-read the page, there is a paragraph about the switch to the donation-based system. Considering that the wiki hasn't been offline due to traffic for a long time, I'm not sure the high Google ranking translates into that many actual visitors. So I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea. The "Please note that you are purchasing..." paragraph, however, should be removed.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

actually that page has been accessed nearly 7500 times since it was created in April of 2006.

the wiki itself, btw, gets about 3000 visitors (not page hits) a day. it gets about 15,000 pages views a day, which translates into about 75,000 visitors a month and 500,000 pages views.

i suspect all of those are smokey, btw.

that being said, the only time the wiki actually went down was during a slashdotting. i have not gone over my monthly bandwidth allocation.

-j
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i suspect all of those are smokey, btw.

Very Happy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:

rampant Elf activity!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I made a first pass at syncing the data in http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Early_Access_FAQ with the text on the official Early Access page. I also copied in any French and Italian translations as well.

The page is now probably a bit rough, but at least the tone is consistent and the statistics are updated. Note that I haven't put in the tags for EAP version and begin and end date yet. I merely copied and pasted the text from the main site in many places but I'll try and add those back in tomorrow.

Feel free to modify my changes.

BTW, to give everyone a sense of the hits that our main web site gets, since I posted the EAP page 3 weeks ago, the English EAP page alone has had over 25,000 hits. This may seem like a lot in comparison to the NeoWiki page, but it is actually pretty small in comparison to the our English main download page which gets aobut 9,000 hits each day all year long.

Edit: I have put back all of the {{EAPversion}} and {{EAPend}} templates.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1