New: NeoOffice User Guide

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF's

aussie149 wrote:
Can somebody please help with PDF's. I haven't touched the last few pages of that sample chapter because it describes I can't seem to find any references to in the NeoOffice version.

I think all that stuff is new in 2.1 (or 2.0.4), so we don't have it (yet).

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Progress report

OK Folks

Here's an update on this. I have edited chapters 2,3 and half of chap. 4. There are 14 chapters...Sounds dire, eh? Sad actually, that's the bad news. The good news is that I am actually nearly half-way through, because I started on the long ones! I have put chaps. 2 and 3 up on this site here for download - now in zipped format! Smile I also put chap. 2 in pdf form for those who download where they have no access to NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org.

I know this is feasible now, so my motivation is strong Smile And I am learning quite a bit that I didn't know Very Happy

Some help please: the original is in US Letter format. I have stuck with that. I don't have US Letter paper, only A4, and I find that it prints out with different level headers on left and right pages. I seem to be able to cure that if I format it all in A4, but... Can someone please print some pages out on US Letter paper and tell me whether it lines up left and right?
Peter
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject:

Just output to a PDF.. Then print it from Acrobat without adjusting the size. The page will not look nice in the margins, but it will probably fit on A4 1:1.

Thanks for taking on this massive task!

Best wishes,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

A-MAZING work! Shocked

Peter, Is it possible to list the chapters on your web page in order. (is Chapter 1 available? I forget...)

Listing them in order (.odt .zip, .PDF, etc) will help us track what is available, and what to expect/hope/rejoice !

Philip ( Lots of reading to do Cool )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks, and...

ovvldc wrote:
Just output to a PDF.. Then print it from Acrobat without adjusting the size. The page will not look nice in the margins, but it will probably fit on A4 1:1.
Best wishes,
Oscar

Thanks Oscar. That works fine, tidies up the different header heights left-right on A4. That is good for us all to know. A good solution for the A4 user. But I guess I am left with three compelling reasons to know how it looks in .odt format on US Letter paper:

1. Llicence issues, where there appears to be some requirement to produce in .odt format, with edits able to be examined. I stand ready to be corrected on that: I have left the licence document on the same website for others to interpret, and I am no lawyer..
2. I want others to be able to edit my versions, to keep improving and updating them.
3. I presume that the originals from G Roderick Singleton [Gerry, I think? Not sure, because I haven't had a response from my emails yet] were in US Letter format because that's what people in the northern hemisphere use? i don't know, we are all A4 down here Smile.
Cheers
Peter
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject:

A4 is the standard in most (all?) European countries (also in the northern hemisphere!).

Wink

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject:

I think the Letter format is mostly used in North America.

It may be worth having a look at localized versions of the OOo User Guide (if they exist) to see how the translator(s) dealt with the paper size issue ...
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Actually, unless you have very tight margins, Letter users could print A4 in the same way. PDF in any case will scale quite well.

As for the license, why not go for Creative Commons? Or does that not work with the NeoOffice GPL?

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

Need the User Guide be compatible with the GPL ? It describes NeoOffice, but is not "linked" to it in any way, unlike, let's say, an icon set ?

Regarding the license, from what I understand (see the license file on Peter's website), the PDL requires that you license any modified version of the documentation under the same license, so you just can't change the license.

I wonder whether you could include both a PDF and a .odt. Otherwise, you could make the .odt read-only (the document would still be editable, but it would prevent accidental modifications) ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

While you can apply GPL to documentation (after all, it is based in copyright law), a lot of the verbiage of GPL doesn't really make sense for documentation. There's creative commons (as was mentioned before), but there's also FDL, the Sun PDL, etc.

In general people argue over the compatibility of these licenses and yes, it's debatable. In general, everything in the NeoOffice CVS repository is GPL licensed *unless* explicitly stated otherwise. If you want to get it in there we can always put it in a new module and state that the documents in that module are FDL or whatever.

Our use of the GPL doesn't affect the licensing or copyright placed onto materials that are related to NeoOffice. It's really the source code or things directly used for building the application that have this licensing compatibility requirement.

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: mille grazie

Thanks to all: that was exactly the sort of discussion I needed. I'll keep going in US Letter form for now, but I can see there are options. I still haven't heard from Gerry/Roderick Singleton. This US Letter business reminds me of Gallons and Fahrenheit [now that sounds like a good Ranting topic Laughing ]

Philip, I have put up an odt.zip file which contains a list of the chapters in the OpenOffice.org original. The first couple are brief and in fact may be even briefer in "translation" because a lot refers to Windows and/or Linux stuff. Likewise, some of the later chapters are quite short. Very Happy

I'm struggling a bit with the Calc stuff, partly because I am a dunce at spreadhseets, but mainly because the samples which were used in composing the OpenOffice.org pages, were apparently lost in a later disk crash . Crying or Very sad

I should be OK with the Impress chapter, but the one on Base may be a stretch [maths again Sad - my background is English/humanities]
Peter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

Maybe I can help you with the maths difficulties (I'm a maths teatcher). Feel free to PM me, if you need help Smile

Jacqueline
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks

jgd wrote:
Maybe I can help you with the maths difficulties (I'm a maths teatcher). Feel free to PM me, if you need help Smile

Jacqueline

Offer gratefully accepted, along with one other Smile

Progress: I have put up Chapter 1 [a brief one, on Help] and Chapter 4 now. Ed/Patrick: I have mentioned the Forum as a fourth source of Help: is that likely to be a problem [don't want to lead to overload?] Let me know, it can stay or go easily. I also lobbed up on the website A preface/intro chapter from the original OpenOffice.org document called New Features. It's brief, but it needs checking. I had to change quite a bit from the Windows/Linux versions, and took some stuff about NeoOffice 2.1 from the trinity news page.
P
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Linking to the Trinity forums is a very good idea, IMO.

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Toiolbars

Progress report: have been tidying up ch 4 with help. Have finished a draft of ch5, on Impress, and lobbed this up onto the website here.

I'm at work on Ch 6 [Draw], and I am stuck. Can't get this to work. I want to turn on the Circles and Ovals toolbar [which OpenOffice.org calls Ellipses toolbar]. I can find it under Tools > Customize > Toolbars, and it appears to be linked to Draw. But there appears to be no way to make the actual toolbar appear anywhere on the screen. I can create a new toolbar and load it up with all the icons, and that will appear via the View>Toolbars path, but I don't want to have to teach readers how to do that when they don't need it.

Can someone help me please? I can't get past this section of the chapter without doing this, and would probably have helped with last chapter, which I will go back and edit if I can find a solution to this.

Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7