· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New: NeoOffice User Guide
New: NeoOffice User Guide

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

Patrick and I really dig the NUG. As we're preparing for another release, we were wondering if you guys think it's in a good state for integration. Due to size constraints, we don't think we can push it in the application download, but we were hoping it might be in a state where we can push the PDF onto the mirrors and then add a "User Guide" entry in the Help menu that can then direct the user to a website where they can download the manual.

Thoughts? Reservations?

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I haven't read it all, mostly because it is almost 600 pages long. But what I have seen is quite nice. I'd say go for it.

As with the application, we should state it is a work in progress on a moving target (the app changes as well). But it is pretty likely to help people who haven't used it before.

Although the 600 pages may scare many of them. I think a link to the wiki tips page should be noted in between the app link and the user guide link. These answer the frequently asked questions, after all.

Best wishes,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Although the 600 pages may scare many of them.
I think a link to the wiki tips page should be noted in between the app link and the user guide link.
These answer the frequently asked questions, after all.

Best wishes,
Oscar
I think the best idea would be to add a link to Neowiki ( http://neowiki.neooffice.org ).
It would last longer and provide an important link to the resources in the Wiki.
Add a paragraph that offers this URL as a source of extended information ( of GREAT Value). Shocked

Depending on how long you want the link to last, maybe a direct link to Documentation_and_Related_Resources??
While this URL many not last forever, it's probably the best one available?

Other suggestions?

Philip ( "All your BASE are belong to Neo" Wink )

jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

OPENSTEP wrote:
Patrick and I really dig the NUG. As we're preparing for another release, we were wondering if you guys think it's in a good state for integration. Due to size constraints, we don't think we can push it in the application download, but we were hoping it might be in a state where we can push the PDF onto the mirrors and then add a "User Guide" entry in the Help menu that can then direct the user to a website where they can download the manual.

Thoughts? Reservations?

ed

I agree with you. Peter and I have been working on the NUG for a couple of weeks, now. I think that it remains some "cosmetic" problems plus probably a problem with the Open Symbol font that I know and which can be fixed easily by rebooting the Mac.
I'm waiting for an answer from Peter about that font problem and try to convince him that the guide is very usable now.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Depending on how long you want the link to last, maybe a direct link to Documentation_and_Related_Resources??
While this URL many not last forever, it's probably the best one available?

And with the Wiki software, it's easy to have this page redirect to whichever new page we create, so the URL's duration is really a non-issue Smile

As for other suggestions : I haven't had an extensive look at the user guide yet, but I suppose there is a section dedicated to spellcheck; having something about the new native spellchecker (and the limitations introduced by the fix for bug 2513) is probably a good idea. Similarly, the new features we get from ooo-build, odf-converter and Omer Bar-Or should be described when they differ from what the original OOo user guide says.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

FYI. Starting with NeoOffice 2.2.1 Early Acces, I have changed the behavior of the Help :: Support menu to open the Trinity forums page in your default browser. Previously, this menu would open OOo's help window and go to the Support entry that, you guessed it, had a link to the Trinity forums page.

Eventually, I'll just change the URL to point to a NeoWiki page that has the NeoOffice User's Guide and other links. However, the NeoWiki's IT support is a lot weaker right now than the rest of the neooffice.org sites so I don't want to link directly to the NeoWiki until Jake, Ed, and I get the NeoWiki moved into the IT infrastructure that Ed and I have setup for the other sites.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

jgd wrote:
I agree with you. Peter and I have been working on the NUG for a couple of weeks, now. I think that it remains some "cosmetic" problems plus probably a problem with the Open Symbol font that I know and which can be fixed easily by rebooting the Mac.
I'm waiting for an answer from Peter about that font problem and try to convince him that the guide is very usable now.

Excellent news! Once you think that this issue of yours is ironed out, please let us know and we can push it onto the fast mirrors Smile I was reading through yet more of it and am still amazed by the amount of work that's been done on it, thank you!

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Eventually, I'll just change the URL to point to a NeoWiki page that has the NeoOffice User's Guide and other links. However, the NeoWiki's IT support is a lot weaker right now than the rest of the neooffice.org sites

Also, that entry page should be locked from edits. It will get an enormous amount of traffic, and a lone vandal could put some nasty dents into our overall credibility..

EDIT: Oh wait, a memory comes back that you need a login to edit anyway..

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. Starting with NeoOffice 2.2.1 Early Acces, I have changed the behavior of the Help :: Support menu to open the Trinity forums page in your default browser. Previously, this menu would open OOo's help window and go to the Support entry that, you guessed it, had a link to the Trinity forums page.

This is also a good change since the Support entry was really redundant. It was no different then opening up the online help via the top "NeoOffice Help" entry.

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

OPENSTEP wrote:
Excellent news! Once you think that this issue of yours is ironed out, please let us know and we can push it onto the fast mirrors Smile I was reading through yet more of it and am still amazed by the amount of work that's been done on it, thank you!

ed

Good news, the font problem is fixed (always the same old problem with Open Symbol which appears from time to time afer a new installation of NeoOffce. Patrick said somewhere in Bugzilla that that is a Mac OS X bug. Anyway, it works now Very Happy )
Peter told me he will contact Patrick and you in a couple of days. For the moment, he is probably still…asleep Wink .

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

jgd wrote:
Good news, the font problem is fixed (always the same old problem with Open Symbol which appears from time to time afer a new installation of NeoOffce. Patrick said somewhere in Bugzilla that that is a Mac OS X bug. Anyway, it works now Very Happy )

This fix is an extra bonus from my fix for an installer bug that Smokey found in Neo 2.1. The bug was that if you were upgrading an installation that was already in the /Applications/NeoOffice.app folder and that old instance of NeoOffice was running, the NeoOffice installer would not detect that it was running and would happily upgrade your installation like it was a clean install.

Glad that fix also fixes this issue.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Integration with Neo 2.2.1

jgd wrote:
Peter told me he will contact Patrick and you in a couple of days. For the moment, he is probably still…asleep Wink .

Excellent news! I'll await Peter's feedback Smile

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
pluby wrote:

This is also a good change since the Support entry was really redundant. It was no different then opening up the online help via the top "NeoOffice Help" entry.

ed
Question? -- Does the support entry tell the user that their Browser is going to open - first?
Some folks have mentioned that they have concerns/problems with Neo opening a browser window.

I think this will be an excellent update! Thanks!!

Philip ( keeps trying to read the entire N.U.G. , but NOT in one sitting! Rolling Eyes )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Question? -- Does the support entry tell the user that their Browser is going to open - first?
Some folks have mentioned that they have concerns/problems with Neo opening a browser window.
No. And it never has. Clicking on a link within OOo's help or an HTML document always has opened your default browser. We've only shortcutted one step of the process.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

cool.

Cool
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7