· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't import MS-Word document
Can't import MS-Word document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Zimmerman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Can't import MS-Word document

I can start Apple X11, and start OpenOffice, and get a blank word processor window. I then try to open (from the word processor's "File" menu) an MS-Word document; a status line "importing document" appears, along with a progress bar, and the mouse cursor changes to a stopwatch. The progress bar speeds to the right of the window and disappears, along with the "importing document" status message; but... the word processor window remains empy, and the cursor remains a stopwatch. The program will remain in this state for more than ten minutes. Attempts to close OpenOffice using the red "close" button fail; in order to quit, I have to exit X11.

Any advice?
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Posted a couple questions in the ooodocs.org forums for your problem.

dan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Does your document contain version histories or are you tracking changes? I've experienced similar behaviour when versions/track changes are enabled and the document to be imported contains OLE components (embedded formulae, spreadsheets, etc.) or graphics.

ed
Karl Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can't open an MSWord document

The document does indeed have change tracking enabled, and contains graphics...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject:

OK, I'll run through when I have time (dammit, ed, get away from your computer for the afternoon!) and try to create a leaner test case...or does anyone want to try?

My thoughts on the approach are to create a new doc in Word, enable change tracking, put in one or two graphics, save a version, change one of the graphics/remove it, and save a new version...then...open the doc in OOo. That would narrow down the problem a little bit or show if I'm completely off the mark.

ed
Karl Zimmerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: test results...

test 1 : Text, no graphics, change tracking enabled, text has not yet been
accepted:
result : pass
test 2 : Text, no graphics, change tracking enabled, some accepted text,
some not yet accepted:
result : pass
test 3 : Text, one graphic, change tracking enabled, some accepted text,
some unaccepted text, graphic unaccepted:
result : came up OK, although unaccepted text box contents in graphics
was not highlighted (unlike in MS Word). Change does show up
in change list, though.
test 4 : Text, one graphic, change tracking enabled, some accepted text,
some unaccepted text, part of graphic accepted, unaccepted
edit to graphic:
result : same as for test 3.
So, it's not a simple problem, or else it's unrelated to graphics and change tracking. I'll see if I can whittle the original document down to a simple
case...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Furk. I thought it was simple Sad Unfortunately the doc that I use as my test case is:

1) Quite large (8MB+)
2) Contains sensitive company info

so I can't share it and I haven't been able to whittle it down except for the stack trace where I see the OLE portions of the filters being invoked and a version tracking entry before them in the stack. It may be that this is totally causing me to bark up the wrong tree. Something could be wrong within the graphics themselvs, or perhaps verisons? Bleh. I hate mysterious crashes Evil or Very Mad

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1