· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - page Creating_a_Table_of_Contents need some polishing
page Creating_a_Table_of_Contents need some polishing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: page Creating_a_Table_of_Contents need some polishing

Jacqueline and Lorinda, here what I have to say about this page:
In section "Création/Actualisation de la Table des matières" there is this:
"Notez cependant que cette case devra être décochée pour pouvoir supprimer (détruire) la table des matières créée" but if you right-click on a part of the index and choose "Cancel Index/Table" (this is a free translation of the italian context menu) the index will be deleted even if that box is selected. So I have that this possibility has to be added to the section "Suppression de la table des matières".

Also for "Actualisation de la table des matières" the context menu has an entry to update the index so you don't need to go via Insert menu.

I have done some changng in the italian text, so fell free to chage it and let me know what you think about it.

I have also added something in "Aspect de la Table des matières" section

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Valter. I'll go and look at that page and test your changes. But I did not write it, and I never used a table of contents in Neo. So I've to learn a bit before telling you what I think about all that stuff. Crying or Very sad

Jaqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the heads up, Valter!

Could you post an English translation of your additions to "Aspect de la Table des matières" either here or on the English page in the wiki? You can comment it if you like; don't worry about the English menu/dialog terms being exactly right. I can check them easily enough. I've had to do that a lot with the French original, as some of the terms are quite different.

Thanks!

Lorinda
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
But I did not write it,
oops Embarassed

[quote=Lorinda]Could you post an English translation of your additions to "Aspect de la Table des matières" either here or on the English page in the wiki?[/quote] I'll do it.

Valter
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Thanks Valter. I'll go and look at that page and test your changes. But I did not write it, and I never used a table of contents in Neo. So I've to learn a bit before telling you what I think about all that stuff. Crying or Very sad

Jaqueline

I've never worked with Tables of Contents before, either, so I'm learning a lot. Once I have gotten the whole thing translated, I need to work through the whole process and make sure it's right; I have a feeling that this was done under Neo 1.x.

I have been rather free at some points in the translation, sometimes eliminating whole sentences that I didn't think were necessary, and other times restructuring the phrasing significantly.

One of my biggest challenges in translating is related to the fact that when reading, speaking, or hearing French I often think in French. I can understand the French sentence perfectly, but not be able to figure out how to say it in English. Often in those cases, I have better luck paraphrasing than trying to translate literally.

One small example: While on a trip to France in high school, my classmates and I had a bit of an adventure taking the métro and the RER from our hotel in Paris to Versailles. It is a story I told frequently once I got back home, but for well over a year, I could not remember the (American) English word for "quai." So I would have to say, "when we got to the quai--I don't remember the English word, but it's where you wait for the train--" And English is (supposedly!) my native tongue! (For the record, for Americans, the word is "platform"!)
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

I just succeeded in creating a table of contents Very Happy. I'll check Valter's notes, and translate them. I can read Italian : the miracles exist, but Italian and French look enough like.

Lorinda, I don't translate literally, either. But I don't think in English Crying or Very sad

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

I can't think in French nearly as much as I used to, especially with computer related texts. I never managed to do math in French, either, not even simple addition. I always had to work the problem through in English and then translate the result back into French.

You're still ahead of me on the number of languages you can translate! Very Happy
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

The original français page was written in november 2005, so it certainly belongs to 1.x era Smile
Anyway I have seen some works on it during last days, and that's the reason way I decide to start the translation in italian.

I have added some comments in the english page hoping they are clear enough to be readable.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:

Anyway I have seen some works on it during last days, and that's the reason way I decide to start the translation in italian.

I added new templates buttton, window, section etc, but I didn't read the page (it's a shame, I know Rolling Eyes )

Off topic: Lorinda do you notice that I'm no more a "Council_man_" ? One and only one way to get the mutation: post, post and post again in the forums. It works. Wink
Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Off topic: Lorinda do you notice that I'm no more a "Council_man_" ? One and only one way to get the mutation: post, post and post again in the forums. It works. Wink
Jacqueline

Yes, I did notice! It gives me hope I'll soon have my correct gender back! Laughing Then Ed won't have to worry about the title until another woman is transformed!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Valter,
I translated your additions. I don't understand why you delete the second method of actualisation?
And if I don't uncheck "Protected against manual changes" I can't delete the table. Are you able to do that and how ?

Thanks, I learned how to create a table of contents Very Happy

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Valter,
I translated your additions. I don't understand why you delete the second method of actualisation?

I think that the second method was only a duplication of what I wrote after... But maybe I'm wrong. I will check it again.

jgd wrote:
And if I don't uncheck "Protected against manual changes" I can't delete the table. Are you able to do that and how ?

Well if I don't uncheck "protected against manual changes" I'm still able to remove the Index just right-clicking on the Index entry (any point of the index) and for the contestual menu I choose "remove index/table" (as I say before this is a free translation of whatn is writte in the italian version: it's the 3rd entry about indexes)
We need to uncheck the "protecetd..." only if we want to remove the index highlighting the entire index.

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
I think that the second method was only a duplication of what I wrote after... But maybe I'm wrong. I will check it again.

Not exactly a duplication, the two methods are slightly different. So I keep both of them.

jgd wrote:

Quote:
Well if I don't uncheck "protected against manual changes" I'm still able to remove the Index just right-clicking on the Index entry (any point of the index) and for the contestual menu I choose "remove index/table" (as I say before this is a free translation of whatn is writte in the italian version: it's the 3rd entry about indexes)
We need to uncheck the "protecetd..." only if we want to remove the index highlighting the entire index.
Valter

You are perfectly right. I've corrected the French page after having checked the Ctrl-clic method. Thanks.

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I find the background of the table very, very "Win/Lin like". (Why do they like that sad grey?). So I added a tip for changing that ugly thing in the section "Aspect de la table des matières".

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1