Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO Installer Crash Mid-Way
OO Installer Crash Mid-Way

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfeld
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: OO Installer Crash Mid-Way

New member here...I've searched thru the forum for similar topics and don't find what I think I'm looking for. So my apologies if this has already been covered and I've missed it somehow.

I've got a beige G3 266 with 288Mb RAM and 60Gb HD running 10.2.8 and all updates except just-released security update (I always wait a short time to see if anything blows up). Apple X11beta 4.3 installed and runs. It's not fast, but it works and I even had OO 1.0.1 final beta running on it previously (slow but okay for what I use it for).

Problem is that I went to upgrade to 1.0.3 and so uninstalled the 1.0.1 prior to installing. Now when I try to install the updated OO, it hangs (frozen solid) half-way thru the installation, requiring a hard boot.

I've reinstalled X11 but it doesn't make any difference, and I even tried to reinstall the 1.0.1 version of OO again, but even that hangs now during the installation.

I've got over 2Gb of free space in my OSX partition, so from what I've gleaned here, that should be sufficient. I get a message at the beginning of the installation of OO indicating that XDarwin is not in the OO path/directory, but I assume it's looking for XDarwin and ignoring the fact that X11 is installed?

I have upgraded the JVM to 1.4.1 and saw a post related to that, but I have no idea if that should matter.

Is there something I've missed or not done right? Am I looking at a reinstall of Jaguar? (I can't run Panther since Apple decided not to support my machine in Panther... Mad Any help would be appreciated.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject:

When it "Hangs", what is shown on the screen? If you see a message akin to "Waiting for *** to complete" check to make sure it's not waiting for you to manually step through one of the subinstallers. There are a number of points in the install where you may need to click on an Apple Installer window that has been opened behind the main OOo installer window...check to see if there's an installer icon in the dock.

Or is it hanging before you even get to the installation wizard?

You may need more then 2GB of free space depending on how much memory is in the computer. The old IA installer's a pig when it comes to requiring lots of memory.

ed
tfeld
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks Ed.

It's hanging in mid-installation of OO (i.e., not any of the other installs--it never gets there). Way past the point of looking for feedback.

I was able to install 1.0.1 a while back so I'm not sure it needs more space. But in any case, I won't be able to give it more space since the partition is limited and I've only got like 2.2Gb of free space on that partition.

As I continue to read up on this, is it possible that the file placed in the user directory needs to be deleted?

Tom
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Oh, so it's hanging on the splashscreen right after you launch the installer? I remember reports this happening a while back in our final beta test installer and thought it had been related to corrupt jpegs and I swiched everything over to gifs in the 1.0.3 installer. Even so it still barfed for a few folks and I was never able to reproduce that. The prevaling theory was that it was related to running out of swap space...for some doing a fresh reboot and immediately running the OOo installer before anything else cleared it up.

The JVM update doesn't affect the IA installer as it still will use Java 1.3.

When it hangs, can you try doing a "df" in a Terminal and checking the available space on the drive with the swap file? It'll probably be "/" if you haven't relocated the swap file. Also, do you have debugging tools installed on the machine?

Worse comes to worse I can try to come up with a set of instructions for manually extracting things out of the installer. The internal format of IA is just a "zip" archive, but you'll have to do some extra manual stuff to properly set up symbolic links and the like.

ed
tfeld
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject:

It's not actually hanging at the splash screen...it's hanging when trying to install one of the lib files, about two thirds of the way thru the installation. Well after all the dialogs have been answered. File name was libs...mxd; can't remember the exact name--I wrote it down at home and will have to post tonight the exact name.

I can't do a df since it hangs completely (frozen mouse, keyborad, etc.) and the only way to get it going again is a three-finger reset.

I tried again last night after deleteing the file saved to the user account, and no luck. This is really frustrating...especially since I had installed it before and had it working well.

Tom
tfeld
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay, after reinstalling the BSD subsystem this evening, I tried to install 1.0.3 yet again. This time it conked out while trying to install the following file:

libfwk641mxp.dylib

Previously, it would freeze while trying to install:

libsc641mxp.dylib

I have absolutely no idea why this is happening...

Tom
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject:

Oh wonk. That's truly a bad sign if you're getting the frozen mouse and all. That's one I've never seen. There's nothing terribly special going on at the spots where you're seeing the freeze. The only thing I can think of is that you're running out of swap space and the like Sad I was running beta 1.1.1 installers on a machine with only 1.7 GB free disk, but then again it has 512 memory so may not need as much space for swap. Is there any way you can free up some more space on that startup disk?

ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP:

I finally sorted this problem of mine out after may attempts and periods of giving up.

Seems I have an Orange Micro USB2 card installed (well...I knew about that but didn't give it any thought), and when in desparation just pulled it to try again, whalla! It installed perfectly and runs fine. Now all I have to do is fix the fuzzy fonts tonight (X11-->millions) and I'll be set.

Thanks for your help; I hope that if someone else has experience this sort of problem, this might help. In the future, I think I'll just pull everthing that isn't soldered in before trying any other installs Laughing

Tom
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject:

Bizarre. I would have expected a bad card to result in a kernel panic instead of a freeze. That said, I have noticed that 10.3 seems to "freeze" a lot more then 10.2 did where everything just hangs. I never would have expected device issues. Not that I'm aware it could save me a lot of headache trying to debug driver issues myself Smile

Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad that you managed to track down what was locking up your machine!

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1