Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Downloaded Aqua Beta 3 on CD, wants to open Excel test drive
Downloaded Aqua Beta 3 on CD, wants to open Excel test drive

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WebKat5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Downloaded Aqua Beta 3 on CD, wants to open Excel test drive

I am on dial-up (no choice, I am in the country)...so am unable to download the files myself.

My sister downloaded the free 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 for Power PC and put it on a CD.

I brought it home and attempted to open and install the files on the CD.

When clicking on one of the files (one should have been the application and one is the patch), it wanted to open Excel (the test drive version on my iMac) which expired a while back. The files on the CD also did not have their extensions listed...unsure what they were, but appeared to be Microsoft documents.

After reviewing your installation instructions, it seems as though what is on the CD is not what I should have....

Any thoughts here on where we went wrong and what we should do??

Thanks so much.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:

Hmm, that's rather unfortunate Sad

Assuming that everything is OK with the files (other than the extensions), try copying the files from the CD to your hard disk and giving them the .dmg extension (try first with the patch, which is smaller).

If the file is OK, double-clicking on patch.dmg should mount a disk image, inside of which is an Installer .pkg. If that works for the patch, then repeat with the main program, install (double-click the NeoOffice.pkg and follow Installer's prompts) and then the patch.

Hope this works,
Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Well, now the CD won't even load....

Guess that was a waste of time.. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for trying to help, anyway!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:

After you install the software, to map Microsoft document extensions to NeoOffice you'll need to do an additional steps as noted in this wiki article.

You may also want to delete the Microsoft Office Test Drive from the computer as after that 30 day period it's useless but may still claim the default MS Office document types and try to open them just to display the "buy office today lolz!" prompt.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

I think they mean the Neo app itself. What format is that file in (Neo app and patch) one can download. If it's a .zip or .gzip or .tar or whatever, the OP can get (download free) a program to open that kind of compressed file with and then right-click (or Control-Click for you Mac purists) and assign the file Neo app or patch to open with that. Once Neo itself is opened and successfully installed, then they can continue with your/wiki directions to have Neo open Excel (.xls) files instead of MS Office Test Drive. But I think MSOTD is trying to open the Neo app/patch file.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Huy boy, guess I'm braindead today, looks like smokey right above said it's a .dmg file and renaming just the file extension to .dmg didn't work apparently. To OP, to copy the files from your CD to your HD, single click on it in the opened CD folder and control or Command - click (it's been a while) on it and drag it from the CD on to the HD where it should copy itself to.

Could be the proverbial corrupted download or a funkily burned CD so have your sister download it again and burn it to another CD.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

dang it! forgot to add to have her add the proper file extension to the file(s) this time also before burning to CD.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I may have misread. Neo's not universal; to install on a Mac with a particular flavor CPU you need to have downloaded the correct installer. When we do CDs now we do both platforms. That may be the crux of the issue.

ed

/does this mean I'll have to compile ARM soon?
WebKat5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm

Ok...I followed your instructions: dragged/copied to the applications folder, changed/added the file extension of .dmg and then installed the sofware .pkg inside.

I also dumped the Microsoft file in the trash (haven't emptied it yet, though).

Seemed ok...UNTIL I tried to start up the NeoOffice application...nothing, nada, zilch.

Attempted to open a .doc file (open with NeoOffice) and nothing happened.

To top things off, I know have an alias of my hard drive (with the little arrow) listed within my hard drive main files....need to set that back the way it was....not sure how it got there in the first place...any suggestions??
WebKat5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Yes....

It was the download for PowerPC...which is what I am running on (not Intel).
WebKat5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Correction

That should read "I now have an alias of my hard drive"....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Re: the alias, simply click once on it hold the mouse button down and drag it to the Trash.

Now, RE: the Neo installation, you are sure the .pkg installed properly? There should be only the NeoOffice app icon in your Applications Folder. I would take the .dmg file out of there and put it on the Desktop or in the Hard Drive (Macintosh).

Following smokey's instructions further, did you install the patch as well?

If so, not sure what else there is left to do except maybe open the Preferences Folder (Home Folder(the House)-->Library-->Preferneces) and drag and preference files associated with NeoOffice (say Neo in the file name) and then try to open (launch by double-clicking) NeoOffice in the Applications Folder again. Also, be patient I think the Neo launching speed has gotten way better but I don't know how powerful your Mac is or how much RAM it has, but it just may take along time to actually open the first time.

Any other ideas gang? The OP will like Neo if they can ever get it running...
WebKat5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Ok...

I tried it again....same thing....seems to install without a hitch, but no launch of app. The icon in the dock bounces once then stops....generally if an app is slow to start, the icon will continue bouncing until it gets going.

The .dmg files do remain in the app folder....can they be removed or do you think they are causing a hitch?

I have 768 MB of RAM...should be plenty considering I had no other apps running at the time.

I am going to have my sister download one more time....and will ask her to attempt to add the file extensions prior to.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated....I really need this for my upcoming computer class that I am required to take.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Any other ideas gang? The OP will like Neo if they can ever get it running...

The OP really should consider downloading NeoOffice from our download page. If they are having this much trouble with the copy that someone made, then I suspect that the copy is corrupted or improperly done. The safest bet is to go to our download page and follow the instructions that we have so carefully written out.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:

WK5 said:

"...I am on dial-up (no choice, I am in the country)...so am unable to download the files myself. "

The sister will try again so if it was corrupted last time that may fix it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2