· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - bigger?
bigger?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: bigger?

it seems to me that we are building an amazing resource. we have an openoffice wiki for FIVE languages.

and this thread may be more of a philisophical discussion, rather than a call to action... but here it goes:

should we be thinking about the openoffice community as a whole? meaning, should we be thinking about expanding into non-mac specific realms?

already we have tips and tricks that are independent of platform.

hm. i dunno. there would be more editors, more people involved. oooforums would have to be tapped for resources.

and yet, i still think we are light years ahead of the 'offical' wiki (you can thank smokey for that one)

anyway, discuss.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

It's a generous idea. But unfortunately it seems that the OOo community does not consider Neo as a member of the family.
And particularly the French team (I'm sorry -and sad- to have to say that, but it's the reality).
Nevertheless, if they wish to help, they just have to ask Smokey or you for an account. We'll welcome them. Smile

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

It may be difficult to get any official partnership with oooforums. Even if they are amenable to the idea, oooforums seems to be staffed mostly by volunteers just like our forums and wiki so anything official might not really mean much.

What might be more easily attainable is to lead by example. For example, if there is a good tip on NeoWiki or in the NeoOffice forums or in Bugzilla that is applicable to all OOo platforms, then definitely post a link to it in oooforums. I think we already do this to some extent but of course I am sure that there is more data within oooforums that we could link to for the benefit of our users.

Granted, these are small steps. But look how far NeoWiki has come starting and that started with very small steps.

From what I understand, oooforums.org is independent of Sun (the domain is registered to some guy in Burlingame, Calfornia) so the worst that I think they will do is censor your posts. Hopefully they won't.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:

It seems to me that many of the tips on the individual apps in NeoOffice are equally applicable to OOo. And I see now reason why we shouldn't point OOo users to these tips if they need them.

Ideally, people from that community would then be motivated to share their expertise as well and the wiki would become even better.

Best wishes,
Oscar

RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

ya! I became an user of OOoforums today like RoyFokker (that's the right way of write the name of the "Robotech" series).

I will see...
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I've already posted a message about a problem related with references in master document that answer in our wiki and people at oooforum didn't know how to handle.

Valter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject:

I really have no desire to see us becoming (or competing with) the official OOo wiki, mostly because of the management, etc., that is involved, but also because all of our Neo/Mac stuff will be marginalized. We are first and foremost a quality resource for Mac/NeoOffice users, where users won't have to translate Windows-specific conventions and instructions in order to employ the tips and hints.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with sharing and referencing content between communities; the easier answers are to find, the better Smile And if someone wants to contribute content, they're very welcome--but because we are the NeoWiki, I'll go through and edit all of their "Ctrl-F" to "Cmd-F" and the rest of the NeoWiki style Wink See above Wink

Incidentally, you don't have to be an active member of the Neo community to get a wiki account--all that's required is a trinity account (to PM me) and a valid email (to receive your password from the wiki), and I've never not created an account. Activity in the community does seems to relate to activity in the wiki, though (I've created 4 accounts in the past month for people with no posts on trinity, and they've made no edits...yet. That's fine, too, but I certainly was hoping for some more manpower to help with our little growth spurt Wink ).

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I really have no desire to see us becoming (or competing with) the official OOo wiki, mostly because of the management, etc., that is involved, but also because all of our Neo/Mac stuff will be marginalized. We are first and foremost a quality resource for Mac/NeoOffice users, where users won't have to translate Windows-specific conventions and instructions in order to employ the tips and hints.
Smokey

indeed, this makes sense.

my thinking was that even though we are not coding, documentation is nearly as important to an opensource program. if we have non-neo (or oo.ox11) specific tips and hints, etc, we should pass them back to the community as a whole.

especially since we can do it in five languages. five. that is really the big thing, since i'm not sure that any of the official wiki is this organized.

like i said, it was mainly philosophical. perhaps i should propose a wikia on it, and post around and see who comes?

=) or maybe i should just keep my head out of the clouds, at least until the semester is over.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

A better cooperation between the two communities would be a very good thing, of course. It's clear that 99,999 % from the Win/Lin users don't even know the existence of Neo. We can tell them (where?) there is a wiki here and invite them to come, get infos and (why not?) help us.
But to help, they have to register on trinity. Why would a Win/Lin user register on trinity?
We dreadfully need volunteers. Editing, translating the wiki are timeconsuming. The "real life" too.

Jacqueline
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
It seems to me that many of the tips on the individual apps in NeoOffice are equally applicable to OOo. And I see now reason why we shouldn't point OOo users to these tips if they need them.

Ideally, people from that community would then be motivated to share their expertise as well and the wiki would become even better.
Best wishes, Oscar
+1

I agree that common tips would be useful to the whole OOo community.
Seems that OOoforums has a lot of users looking for common answers.

Guess I'll need to register at OOoforums also. Rolling Eyes
No reason why knowledge can't be shared by ... ALL!

Philip ( let's see: read OOo Lists, respond Trinity, read NeoWiki, read OOo documentation....
Ya there should be enough time for OOoforums Shocked Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
A better cooperation between the two communities would be a very good thing, of course. It's clear that 99,999 % from the Win/Lin users don't even know the existence of Neo. We can tell them (where?) there is a wiki here and invite them to come, get infos and (why not?) help us.

The where is probably http://oooforum.org (although I imagine there are a number of large user communities/fora based around their native languages, too).

jgd wrote:
But to help, they have to register on trinity. Why would a Win/Lin user register on trinity?

Originally, Jake was going to have some sort of email alias which prospective users could email, and which would in turn email Jake and I so whichever of us got there first could create the account. That's still the plan, but given Jake's internet situation at the moment, I doubt he'll be able to resolve the original problem with this any time soon. Sad

Hmm, I wonder if I could set that up at my domain?

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1