Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How do I change from web to print layout?
How do I change from web to print layout?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stolzy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: How do I change from web to print layout?

Clicking 'Print Layout' does nothing
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

Click on View->Web Layout again, that will get you back to Print Layout.

This is a bug, but I don't know whether it's a NeoOffice bug or an OOo v2.0.4 bug (the current version of NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice v2.0.4 code).

OOo X11 v2.1 behaves as you would expect (clicking on Print Layout when in Web Layout returns you to Print Layout), so either this bug got fixed since 2.0.4, or it needs fixing in NeoOffice (I don't have OOo x11 v2.0.4 to test this with).

But then in a few weeks' time, NeoOffice based on OOo v2.1 will be available, so this may fix itself, and meanwhile, the above workaround... works around Smile. Can someone using the test builds of NO 2.1 confirm whether this behaviour persists?

- padmavyuha
stolzy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks for that, workaround works Wink
Can you also tell me how to make the web layout usable - at the moment, typing takes ages to appear on the screen and deleteing causes a complete re-draw of the window. Its entirely unusable as it is.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:

I see no difference between print and web layout typing speed or redraws happening on my mac, but then mine is quite high-spec.

Can you tell us what your mac's specs are? i.e. model, processor speed, how much RAM, which version of OSX? This might help in solving your problem.

- padmavyuha
stolzy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject:

iMac 2Ghz PPC G5, 2GB Mac OS X 10.4.8 updated yesterday - should be enough iron to run a wordprocessor.

On the speed, I can be more specific - the delay in characters appearing is variable. Commonly after moving the mouse to a new insert there is a delay of 0.25-0.5 sec before anything appears on the screen. After that, during typing, the characters appear irregularly on the screen. it makes typing very difficult, if not impossible..

For the redraws, it seems that it occurs with large documents - every time I hit the backspace and delete key, the whole text redraws.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

There are issues with the way OOo 2.x triggers recomputing of the layout of fonts, and this is particularly exacerbated by deleting text at the end of pages (almost like repagination). Computing text layout on OS X itself is a very expensive operation compared to other platforms and we're continually trying to tweak the layout caching code.

It's tricky enough to get the layout code and font metrics correct that we focus on correctness first and optimization second, especially as underlying changes in OOo that make things faster on Win32 break our optimizations in Neo.

If you can find a document with a specific reproducible case that doesn't contain any proprietary text, it'd be nice if you could file an enhancement request at:

http://bugzilla.neooffice.org

As we're gearing for an EAP and full release with other major features, we probably will not be looking at doing further layout optimizations for a while, however.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1