· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing
OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The fun begins...

OPENSTEP wrote:
- OS X 10.2.8
- XFree 4.2.0.1
- pluby dlcompat patches
- kevin java patches

That should address the freetype concerns. Here's hoping Terry's Jag build gets accepted as the tech preview!!!!

I built on Mac OS X 10.2.6, XFree86 4.2.1.1, with the same patches, plus a pyuno patch that you might need - see my post to the porting mailing list for details.

I have been testing the build for the past day or so - looks good so far, but I need to do more testing.

But the bigger issue for me is that my build does no-one any good, until someone can suggest a place to which I can upload the installation files.

Since you are closer to a server than I am, and you are building OOo 1.1.1rc3 anyway, why don't we release what you build (without IA Installer) as the tech preview?

I have looked at other Installers a bit more, and I have some other ideas now for using Apple's Installer. But I have to find the time to do a good job, and get all the pieces together.

More later...

Regards, Terry
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject:

Terry,

PM me and we can talk about server space. I've got plenty at the moment.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Terry: I'll look for the pyuno patches. I was trying to get a build to work on perhaps speeding up IA installers, but kevin's e-mailing us as to which build to use for the preview. I do agree that we should try to release a Jag build Smile I think Kevin's builds are Panther only.

Jake & Terry: Is the issue server space, or more bandwidth? I seem to remember that Terry's on a dialup...not good for uploading 80 megs...Sad Eventually we need to get things onto stardiv in Germany as it's the main mirror. I never really got beter then a 10k/s upload link myself (1/3 of my available bandwidth). I'm unsure if Jake's bandwidth would get rid of the overall bottleneck Sad

ed <--- wishes we had complimentary UPS red accounts to overnight CDs Wink
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.1 builds/releases

OPENSTEP wrote:
I think Kevin's builds are Panther only.

Yes, and ironically I think our Jaguar builds will actually work on both Jaguar and Panther (I have only tested on Jaguar so far)...

OPENSTEP wrote:
Jake & Terry: Is the issue server space, or more bandwidth? I seem to remember that Terry's on a dialup...not good for uploading 80 megs...Sad Eventually we need to get things onto stardiv in

I definitely would not try to upload from home, but would do it from work. The issue was more of a server with enough space that I have write access to (then someone from OOo could take it from there, and put it on the official mirrors) - if the installer package for the preview release is only 80 MB, I might even be able to put it on my personal ".mac" site, but bandwidth issues would be a problem.

When we last released OOo 1.0.3GM, didn't the owner of the oodocs.sourceforge.net site offer to host an image for us, too late for OOo 1.0.3GM, but maybe we should take his offer up again for OOo 1.1.1. Of course I could upload to a SourceForge project I have access to, but I believe there is a 100 MB quota (since I recently got a nastygram from SourceForge for exceeding that on a project I am involved with).

Anyway, I will check out another site I have access to, and take Jake up on his offer.

Regards, Terry
Rooster
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Hey, I just installed "ooo111fix3rc1.dmg" on Panther (10.3.3) with Apple's X11 1.0. I only briefly looked at a couple of files but it seems to run. A couple of points (forgive me if some of these comments are dumb or off-base):

1) One thing that's been mentioned already is that the "Start OpenOffice.org" app doesn't seem to recognize 1.1.1 automagically. I got it to recognize 1.1.1b by editing my .sversionrc file in my home directory to read:

Code:
[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.1.1=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1

As you said earlier it doesn't overwrite the .sversionrc, but it doesn't seem to write anything to it either.

2) There's no weird volumes, no files named Perdition in their path or name.

3) Running it from the command line gives some weird statements in the terminal while its running e.g.:

Quote:
Warning: still couldn't load the PPD, MacShared.ppd may be missing. Will use generic printer PPD.
Could not get printer PPD file.

...so it doesn't look like MacShared.ppd has not been installed in a friendly place. There isn't any file called MacShared.ppd on my drive.

4) The Symbol font is screwy. It looks like Zapf Dingbats. This is the Symbol font I installed manually from an Adobe program (one of its required fonts) so I could port files to the non-unicode world.

Hope this helps and isn't completely redundant. Thank you so much for putting in your time and effort on this project!!!

Cheers,
Andrew
Rooster
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject:

P.S. That Symbol font I've got does work with 1.0 and with NeoJ.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:

General note...

The "Technology Preview" that Kevin's posting is *not* the fix3 installer. It's a separate installer. The idea behind TP is to get the latest binary in the hands of testers to help in bug location and bug fixing until the full on installers and translation can function.

So...if you're testing the binary of 1.1.1 itself, then you want to get TP to replace the fix 3 one in this installer. If you're doing installer testing, then keep pantyhose on and wait for a couple Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Miracle of miracles.../usr/sbin/installer

OK, so I'm a douche, I realize this...

I just learned of this miraculous entity called "installer". It's a command-line utility that can dump .pkg files onto a default install location.

Can anyone with a raw 10.2 verify that they have /usr/sbin/installer for me? My 10.2 has all kinds of dev tools installed. I want to see if it's included in the standard 10.2 install or if it was something special. If it was included standard, then I can do a single authentication at start and get rid of all of the sublaunching stuff from the IA installer through unholy use of the command line and sudo Smile

On Panther systems, open a terminal and do "man installer" to find it. I stumbled across it while searching google for support on the command-line softwareupdate command.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:

Ed,

The /usr/sbin/installer executable exists on my 10.2.8 machine. Also, I verified that it was installed by the core OS since this executable is listed in an "lsbom /Library/Receipts/BaseSystem.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep installer".

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Cool beans. I had it on my 10.2.8 partition, but wanted to make sure it wasn't dumped there by something else. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to bypass the GUI on all of the subinstallers of the X11 build Smile Now I just have to figure out authentication and avoid relying on whoami in scripts...(authenticated apps are running as the root user)

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: command line Installer

OPENSTEP wrote:
Cool beans. I had it on my 10.2.8 partition, but wanted to make sure it wasn't dumped there by something else. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to bypass the GUI on all of the subinstallers of the X11 build Smile Now I just have to figure out authentication and avoid relying on whoami in scripts...(authenticated apps are running as the root user)

ed

I probably was aware of /usr/sbin/installer a long time ago, but had forgot about until about a week ago when I was looking at various installers, and discovered it (again). You have picked up on the same approach I was going to try (I haven't done anything major with it yet).

Not sure exactly what you are doing with authentication, but look at :

http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/GS_Security/index.html

I have had some experience recently writing helper tools that handle authentication as per the documentation, based on the available sample code.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject:

I've actually done authentication on OS X for a long time all the way from using the standard BSD crypt() approaches to the new services ones. Let me say the 10.3 upgrade was a fun learning experience Smile

Right now the way I'm hoping authentication can be dealt with for the installer is the following:

Previous IA based installers ran under the user account themselves. E.g. the OOo installer itself was never authenticated. Subinstallers would require their own authentication as necessary.

New approach: require the IA installer for OOo to be authenticated from the getgo. This means it should eventually be running as "root" and be able to use /usr/sbin/installer to dump the other packages on the machine. The hope is that if the spawing process already has execution rights by being root, the spawned installer processes won't need to be reauthenticated when running multiple installers. From my understanding, I think this is how the authentication rights should propogate, but of course it needs further testing. worse comes to worse I can always write up a custom authentication dialog Very Happy

I don't think the tricky part is going to be authentication, but rather going through the processing scripts and making sure that the login name is still valid. There are parts of the configuration files set up by the default installer in the home directory of the first user that do configuration based upon the user name. Chmodding is also going to be affected. Of course, if the installer's authenticated "whoami" will return "root" and not the login name of the user (sidenote: $HOME still seems to point to the original home directory of the login user). So the scripts need to move away from whoami. I already had it going to an environment variable in the past so it should be an easy transition, but it will still require some testing. Right now I'm leaning towards using "id" or "who am i" (spaces important) for extracting the actual login name of the user who authenticated the installer.

ed
jsmanrique

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Accents (tildes) not supported

Hello,

I have used the installer in my iBook G4 with MacOS X 10.3.3 and Apple X11, and it works, but.. accents (á, é, ..) still doesn't work, so this bug seems to be alive from previous 1.1.0 version.

Wasn't it fixed as bugzilla says?

Thanks and best regards,

J.Manrique
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Erk, is that broken *again*? The problem has to do with the input encoding used for X11. I saw some patches flying around for Japanese on the porting list but will go back and check in the 1.1.1 builds. It may be working properly again in 1.1.1 RC 3 and was just broken in fix3.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
It may be working properly again in 1.1.1 RC 3 and was just broken in fix3.

Ed, I overwrote my installer test/fix3 install with the Technology Preview (RC3?) install and the accents are working properly--i.e., opt-e e produces é and so forth--in the TP. (The TP installer, however, changed the rights to my entire Applications folder so I couldn't do anything! Hooray for repair permissions!)

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4