Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2017? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing
OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing Reply with quote

OK, this is a thread concerning testing the native installers for OOo 111 fix 3. These are the installers that do not require X11 to run. They also will check for and install any of the additional software needed to successfully use OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11).

Here are my main goals for the new native installer:


    1) Functions on both 10.2 and 10.3 from a single installer. No 10.1 support.
    2) Works for Apple X11 Public Beta, Apple X11 Panther, XFree86.
    3) Fixed multiple user support.
    4) Fix all addressable installer crashes.
    5) Fully functional uninstaller.
    6) Has a relevant and accurate README listing known issues and any workarounds.


I'm' thinking we'll need to test on permutations of the following conditions under which the installer may be run:


    - Operating System: 10.2.x, 10.3.x (latest)
    - Previously installed OpenOffice.org1.0.3 versus never installed OOo.
    - Previously installed X11 system versus no X11 system.
    - Installed BSD tools versus no available BSD tools.
    - Single user account (e.g. same account for install & launch) versus multiple user account
    - Local home directories versus network home directories.
    - Installing over network versus installing locally.
    - Installing into paths with spaces versus no spaces.



I just uploaded a first pass at a 1.1.1 Fix 3 installer. This is only for testers! It's in that "may erase your hard drive" stage, but I need people to make sure that that won't happen. I haven't tested this in nearly any of the above configurations and definitely haven't tried the spaces in the path. That one could potentallly destroy a hard drive, so we need to have a brave soul check it Shocked

This "Release Candidate 1" installer is available from ftp.neooffice.org and is named ooo111fix3rc1.dmg.

MD5 sum: 22a21871923460b8f0888ef7ca389525

Testers should have a login/pass (PM me if you forgot). All others will have to compete for 2 anonymous download slots. I don't want to push this out onto the main OOo mirror network until it's at least been through a good smoke test on multiple configurations to make sure it won't hose anyone's computer.

OOo gurus...check to make sure that the build can launch, the installer installs MacShared.ppd in the right place, has appropriate psprint settings for the user-selected page size, doesn't overwrite pre-existing sversionrcs, has an appropriate default preferences setting for Macs (e.g. appropriate printer settings, helper apps map to /usr/bin/open), font conversion success/failure, Start OOo configuration, et. al.

Importantly check the contents of your /Volumes directory in a Terminal before installing, after installing, and after launching OOo 111 for the first time. Check to see if it contains a directory named "perdition" in it. That's the name of the hard drive on which the installer was built, and I've had a bear of a time weeding out some bugs in the OOo configuration file massaging and installer settings that caused the install to want to find a drive name perdition Evil or Very Mad If you've got one living around before you install, it's from similar bugs in the older Neo and OOo versions...please nuke it or move it out of the way before trying the new 111 RC1 installer. And if you happen to have a hard drive named perdition...well, I guess renaming it would be the only way to test it.

Work that I still need to do in the installer besides fixing any bugs are to flesh out the uninstaller, do automatic prompting for Apple X11 installation off of Panther CDs, removal of Apple X11 public beta instructions for Jag and related configuration files.

Also...should we bother trying to do an automatic installation of XFree86 for Panther? I was thinking that it may be best to just drop it and only support automatic installation of Apple X11. If an advanced user already has XFree86 installed on Panther, it'll do the appropriate configuration files and support, but the installer will guide new/inexperienced users straight to Apple X11. We can include manual XF86 instructions in the readme. Thoughts?

I'm going to punt on localized native installers until after I can get English out of the door, but I'm pretty sure Riccardo has the fix3 X11 native installers ready for all languages. Looking at some of the stuff Patrick did in Neo/J I'm sure I can get the Localizer to function a lot better this time Smile

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terry Teague
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing Reply with quote

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, this is a thread concerning testing the native installers for OOo 111 fix 3. These are the installers that do not require X11 to run. They also will check for and install any of the additional software needed to successfully use OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11).
...
Work that I still need to do in the installer besides fixing any bugs are to flesh out the uninstaller, do automatic prompting for Apple X11 installation off of Panther CDs, removal of Apple X11 public beta instructions for Jag and related configuration files.

Thanks for finding the time to put together an IA Installer. I was thinking of looking at how the Apple Mac OS X Installer could be used, but I hadn't found time to do that.

As soon after I get over my current work crunch (probably in a couple of weeks), I will be working again on a version of "Start OpenOffice.org" for OOo 1.1.1/Panther. I am hoping to make it more bulletproof for first time users, and I was thinking of things similar to what you are suggesting above, as regards "do automatic prompting for Apple X11 installation off of Panther CDs" etc.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Also...should we bother trying to do an automatic installation of XFree86 for Panther? I was thinking that it may be best to just drop it and only support automatic installation of Apple X11. If an advanced user already has XFree86 installed on Panther, it'll do the appropriate configuration files and support, but the installer will guide new/inexperienced users straight to Apple X11. We can include manual XF86 instructions in the readme. Thoughts?

I think your plan is good. In case you haven't been following the news lately, XFree86 v4.4 is almost ready for release, with a new license agreement, that you should at least read :

http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html

Regards, Terry
Back to top
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing Reply with quote

Terry Teague wrote:
I was thinking of looking at how the Apple Mac OS X Installer could be used, but I hadn't found time to do that.


OK, here's the underlying issue on the Apple installer...

There are a couple of things that require user feedback for the install process, most prominently the choice of default paper size. Other choices are, for true clean installs, choice of X11 operating environment and window manager.

In Apple Installer, I was unable to find a way to get these in...it seemed like all the options had to be done through the "Customize" button and secondary checkbox panel. The only other solution I could come up with in my head was to write up a preflight script in AppleScript studio (or equivalent) that would do the graphical prompting and dump responses into environment variables, essentially doing the UI prompts outside of Installer. Any thoughts on these approaches?

Aside from configuration detection, I've moved most of the post-processing into shell scripts and out of InstallAnywhere specific actions to leave open a migration to Apple Installer if we can figure out a good way to get those UI issues down. We should be good to go as metapackaging as well as the only non-Apple Installer sub-installer is the XFree86 installer, but that's easy to repackage into Apple Installer too.

Terry Teague wrote:

I am hoping to make it more bulletproof for first time users, and I was thinking of things similar to what you are suggesting above, as regards "do automatic prompting for Apple X11 installation off of Panther CDs" etc.


Rock on! Dude, let me know if I can help and if I'm not in a drunken stupor definitely let's coordinate so we don't wind up trying to reduplicate effort Smile

Right now the only Start OOo thing the installer I put together is trying to do is to massage the initial org.openoffice.Start.plist file. Basically, the IA (or whatever) installer will be in possession of paths to the initial OOo install location and the X11 environment of choice. There's a half-a*$ attempt to try to write this information into the property list to kind of guide Start OOo to those install locations on its first launch. I'm fairly certain I'm doing it wrong, however Rolling Eyes

Terry Teague wrote:
I think your plan is good. In case you haven't been following the news lately, XFree86 v4.4 is almost ready for release, with a new license agreement, that you should at least read :

http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html


Yup, I've been following the license spat. My inital thought was that OOo X11 (or whatever) should still target 4.3 as it is most likely going to be the future basis for Apple X11 until licensing is resolved, if ever.

As to the new license, I don't think it would directly affect OOo as we distribute it as it's compatible with SISSL (though IANAL). My thought for axing XFree 4.4 was just more pragmatic. Panther users will already have X11 on a CD, so why not just use that CD instead of requiring another download?

I can only think of two cases where this assumption may fail. One is computers that shipped with "Software Restore" disks and not a full set of Panther CDs. I, a Cube fetishist, haven't yet purchased a machine that came with 10.3 preinstalled. Would those machines still have X11.pkg on a well-known CD? The second would be users in a corporate setting where their IT department has the CDs but the user doesn't, but of course, being a user, still wants to install software without letting their IT department do it for them. I think both cases could be solved by doing a curl as the Panther Apple X11 installer is still available for download from Apple. Again, that would probably require some custom UI elements and the like...

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mishakim
Agent


Joined: Nov 12, 2003
Posts: 10
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: dlcompat sub-installer failure Reply with quote

one install problem so far: dlcompat didn't install.
After the message saying it was launching, the next message to come up is that libdl Install failed & the dlcompat installer did not complete successfully. It says to "remember to authenticate the dlcompat installer ..." but that installer never provided any UI through which one could authenticate it--nothing appeared in the dock, no other windows between about to install and failed to install.

I knew it was already installed, so I tried telling the 1.1.1 installer to skip it, but it didn't like that because it's not in /usr/local/lib, which didn't exist. I didn't know which libraries I should symlink, so I downloaded the stand-alone installer from it.osxgnu.org, after finding that the URL in the error message (scweb.sandiego.edu) was no good.

Since 1.0.3 was working fine with it in /usr/lib, which I presume is where 1.0.3 or some other installer put it (I don't remember which), would it be possible for 1.1.1 to look in /usr/lib and create the appropriate symlinks itself?

once that was cleared up, the rest of the install completed successfully. here's my setup, I'll report later with any problems in running 1.1.1:
10.3.2 with latest security update, Apple X11, BSD tools, previously installed 1.0.3 and NeoJ. Install was on the main user account, but I'll try running under a secondary user. Install was local with no spaces in paths.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...ok, I'll run through and look at the dlcompat installer. I did not try out that one on Panther. On all of my boxes I already had it installed in /usr/local/lib, so the dlcompat installer was never fired off.

The specific osxgnu package that's being used right now is "DLCompat-20020913-10.2.pkg" if anyone wants to test it separately with Apple Installer. Also of a good note is that I can remove the 10.1 compatibility for dlcompat in the installer. This may not be a problem with that package, per se, but rather may be with the way the installer's sublaunching all the other installers. I'll check into that. Did you have to run through any other of the extra installers (e.g. esp ghostscript?)?

Panther also includes its own libdl, IIRC, and I'm pretty sure that'd be the one in /usr/lib. The installer already tried to make symlinks for previous installed dlcompats, but only looked in /usr/local/lib. I don't think we need to install libdl on Panther systems at all.

A quick fix to get the installer to turn over would be to do the following:

Code:

sudo sh
mkdir /usr/local/lib
ln -s /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib /usr/local/lib/libdl.0.dylib
ln -s /usr/lib/libdl.dylib /usr/local/lib/libdl.dylib


I'm pretty sure the executable should run without needing to do the above as /usr/lib is implicitly on the default library search path.

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mishakim
Agent


Joined: Nov 12, 2003
Posts: 10
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, still have a problem with libdl: when I try to run 1.1.1, it fails because it can't open /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib, which doesn't exist.

I had installed the older dlcompat 105050, since that was the one the error message had said to get. Now I've installed the 20030629 version from osxgnu.org, but still have no libdl.0.dylib anywhere and still can't run 1.1.1. Where should I get the 20020913 version you mention, and will that install libdl.0.dylib, or should I just symlink something I've already got to that file?

I also can't run 1.0.3 anymore, because of problems with .sversionrc -- is that to be expected?

[update:] I created a symlink from /usr/lib/libdl.dylib to /usr/lib/libdl.0.dylib, and now 1.1.1 runs, though with an error /usr/bin/lpc: no such file...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mishakim
Agent


Joined: Nov 12, 2003
Posts: 10
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

installing on second machine, similar initial setup: OOo 1.0.3 installed, only libdl was libdl.dylib in /usr/lib, which is a symlink to libSystem.dylib, itself a symlink to libSystem.B.dylib

1.1.1 installer failed b/c dlcompat wasn't authenticated, but again provided no means to authenticate. Installed DLCompat-20030629, that satisfied the installer which then ran successfully.

1.1.1 ran without the libdl.0.dylib problem I had on the first machine; the only errors I noticed were a bunch about not being able to get PPDs for some printers; my xterm doesn't have a scroll bar, so I can't scroll back to see if I missed any others

FWIW, I ran directly from the command line, since StartOpenOffice.org hadn't worked on the first machine; don't know if it would have worked on the second one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishakim wrote:
though with an error /usr/bin/lpc: no such file...


That's actually not an error, but rather something that's validly output by the OS X printing code in OOo (even though it's reported as an error). Dan would be able to give the specifics on it, but he has said it's OK. We actually don't use lpc.

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: More on libdl Reply with quote

I'll go through on a clean machine this weekend and start looking into various libdl configurations on Panther boxes. We may need to create that symlink for /usr/local/lib after all.

On the box where it didn't work, did you see any errors from dyld? I'm wondering if there is something wonky with the version number of the one included with Panther that makes us still need the old one.

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terry Teague
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing Reply with quote

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, here's the underlying issue on the Apple installer...

There are a couple of things that require user feedback for the install process, most prominently the choice of default paper size. Other choices are, for true clean installs, choice of X11 operating environment and window manager.

In Apple Installer, I was unable to find a way to get these in...it seemed like all the options had to be done through the "Customize" button and secondary checkbox panel. The only other solution I could come up with in my head was to write up a preflight script in AppleScript studio (or equivalent) that would do the graphical prompting and dump responses into environment variables, essentially doing the UI prompts outside of Installer. Any thoughts on these approaches?

Aside from configuration detection, I've moved most of the post-processing into shell scripts and out of InstallAnywhere specific actions to leave open a migration to Apple Installer if we can figure out a good way to get those UI issues down. We should be good to go as metapackaging as well as the only non-Apple Installer sub-installer is the XFree86 installer, but that's easy to repackage into Apple Installer too.

You are thinking pretty much the same things as I was thinking - AppleScript Studio preflight scripts, metapackages, etc.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Right now the only Start OOo thing the installer I put together is trying to do is to massage the initial org.openoffice.Start.plist file. Basically, the IA (or whatever) installer will be in possession of paths to the initial OOo install location and the X11 environment of choice. There's a half-a*$ attempt to try to write this information into the property list to kind of guide Start OOo to those install locations on its first launch. I'm fairly certain I'm doing it wrong, however Rolling Eyes

Sounds reasonable. In case it wasn't obvious, here is the meaning of the major fields in the plist (it is just a User Defaults database, so you can use defaults write org.OpenOffice.Start <field> <value>).

Code:
   <key>oooversion</key>
   <integer>1</integer>

Index into the list of OOo versions in "~/.sversionrc". In your case, most likely the default value of 1 will be what you want.

Code:
   <key>xserver</key>
   <integer>3</integer>

Type of X11 server : 1 = XDarwin, 2 = OroborOSX, 3 = X11.app.

Code:
   <key>xserverpath</key>
   <string>/Applications/Utilities/X11.app</string>

Full path to X11 server application bundle.

Regards, Terry
Back to top
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry: thanks for the descriptions of the keys of the plist!! I dig it rotten!! Smile

OK, so this is a logistical question: if a user who already has been using OOo installs 1.1.1, should their Start OOo plist's choice of default OOo be changed to the newly installed 1.1.1, or should it be left at 1.0.3? The way I'm thinking of doing the installer, there isn't an "upgrade" path, but rather a side-by-side path. E.g. OOo 1.0.3 would be left on their system, and there would be two instances of the Start OOo app. So if they started the one inside the 1.1.1 folder, if the preferences weren't changed it's still point to the 1.0.3 folder (or other OOo install location).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terry Teague
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1fix3 Installer Reply with quote

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, so this is a logistical question: if a user who already has been using OOo installs 1.1.1, should their Start OOo plist's choice of default OOo be changed to the newly installed 1.1.1, or should it be left at 1.0.3? The way I'm thinking of doing the installer, there isn't an "upgrade" path, but rather a side-by-side path. E.g. OOo 1.0.3 would be left on their system, and there would be two instances of the Start OOo app. So if they started the one inside the 1.1.1 folder, if the preferences weren't changed it's still point to the 1.0.3 folder (or other OOo install location).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

ed

Around the time OOo 1.0.3 was released (and I added support for multiple versions of OOo in "Start OpenOffice.org"), I switched the default version in the "Start OpenOffice.org" popup menu from OOo 1.0.1 to 1.0.3. I suspect I will change the default to 1.1.1 when I release a version of "Start OpenOffice.org" for OOo 1.1.x.

The "Start OpenOffice.org" preference file ("~/Library/Preferences/org.OpenOffice.start.plist") is global to the user - any changes you make for one version of OOo will affect any other version of OOo. (I suppose I could change the preferences in the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org" so it could be possible to have different settings for different versions of OOo - think a dictionary of keys per OOo version, rather than keys per OOo version).

In fact, you need to be careful what you do to the users's "~/.sversionrc" file. I can't remember if newer versions of OOo (or more specifically "setup") append to an existing "~/.sversionrc" file, rather than overwrite it. I personally have multiple copies of "~/.sversionrc", always make a copy of this file before I do a new install, and then merge any new URLs into a "~/.sversionrc" file that contains support for multiple versions of OOo. I have many side-by-side versions of OOo, and switch between them (usually 1.0.3 and 1.1.x) regularly with (one copy of the) "Start OpenOffice.org" (application), without problem.

I misread your post originally, hence some of the comments above. But I basically agree with your plan - can't hurt to document and perhaps Alert the user that you are doing the "upgrade".

Regards, Terry
Back to top
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how helpful of a report this will be....not much of an OOo guru, but I wanted to play with the Arabic support Smile

But I was unable to get the installer to completely "load"...the progress bar on the splash screen (as the installer is launching) gets to about 80% and then it quits under my main (admin) user. I have the OS's crash log, if that will be helpful.

However, I was able to get it to install using my "testing" (non-admin user), after figuring which directories needed to be created and given write permissions. I think I have 1.1.1 running after swapping some folders and plists between accounts....

OS 10.3.2, previous 1.0.3 install, 2 users (admin and non-admin) on the system, previously installed Apple X11, BSD subsystem, local home directory, installed locally, 2 spaces in the volume name but nowhere else.

Smokey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mishakim
Agent


Joined: Nov 12, 2003
Posts: 10
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: More on libdl Reply with quote

OPENSTEP wrote:
On the box where it didn't work, did you see any errors from dyld? I'm wondering if there is something wonky with the version number of the one included with Panther that makes us still need the old one.


I haven't had a chance to do any testing other than getting it to run. Up to that point, no errors other than not finding the .0. version in /usr/lib
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
OPENSTEP
The One
The One


Joined: May 25, 2003
Posts: 4752
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
But I was unable to get the installer to completely "load"...the progress bar on the splash screen (as the installer is launching) gets to about 80% and then it quits under my main (admin) user. I have the OS's crash log, if that will be helpful.


Yes, please send along the crash log. This is similar to problems that other users have seen with the 1.0.3 installer. I'm going to check out ZeroG's website. IA 6 is out which may solve some of these issues, which is good. Unfortunately, our license is probably only for IA 5, which is bad Sad

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.04 Seconds