NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing
OOo 1.1.1 Fix 3 Installer Testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Whoah! Bummer that the TP installer fubared your permissions. Thankfully it was just repairable permissions and nothing more serious Smile

I'm working on the 111RC3 based installer as we speak and am using the same source patches as went into TP. Hopefully this should solve the accent issues.

Quick question tho as I misplaced my Panther CDs...

Can someone with Panther CDs provide the following for me:

1) The exact name of the CD that has X11.pkg on it (I think it shifted to install CD 2)

2) The full path to the X11.pkg package on that CD

I'm shifting the installer to defaulting to XFree for 10.2 based systems and prompting for the CD with Apple X11 for 10.3 based systems. libdl is also removed as I'm using the build that has it embedded in.

Right now the only outstanding issues I'm aware of in 111RC3 are Japanese support, potentially missing sound support (minor, IMHO), and USB/shared printing snafus (but even 103GM suffers from those). I'm pretty certain I tracked down the missing MacShared.ppd issue with the fix 3 IA installer.

In the meantime, I'm grabbing the source code for Apple X11 and plan on trying to recompile it for Jag. Online Apple mentioned that they are reminding people that, under the license terms, we can't redistribute the Jag beta build packages. They did make their source available under the XFree86 license, though, so there's nothing that says we can't redistribute a derivative Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Whoah! Bummer that the TP installer fubared your permissions. Thankfully it was just repairable permissions and nothing more serious Smile

These days I'm not sure what's a quirk in my 10.3 install and what's a bug in something else, but all's well that ends well Smile

Quote:

1) The exact name of the CD that has X11.pkg on it (I think it shifted to install CD 2)

1) Mac OS X Install Disc 3
2) /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 3/Packages/X11User.pkg
[copied from a drag/drop to Terminal.app]
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Installer stuff

OPENSTEP wrote:

I don't know that you can blame the TP installer. I just checked one of the Panther systems I installed TP on, and the /Applications permissions were fine and unchanged (I did Verify Permissions). This was Mac OS X 10.3.0. Your mileage may vary on other versions of Mac OS X, particularly if you upgraded from Jaguar to Panther.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Quick question tho as I misplaced my Panther CDs...

Remember, Panther also comes on DVD - I don't have one in front of me, so I can't tell you the full path, but you can probably guess (if you need to).

1) For the Mac OS X 10.3.0 Install CDs, the X11.pkg is on the 3rd CD.

Volume name = "Mac OS X Install Disc 3"

2) Full path = "Mac OS X Install Disc 3/Packages/X11User.pkg"

Other retail versions of Mac OS X 10.3.x may be different. I wouldn't hard code any path names into an Installer Wink

OPENSTEP wrote:
I'm shifting the installer to defaulting to XFree for 10.2 based systems and prompting for the CD with Apple X11 for 10.3 based systems. libdl is also removed as I'm using the build that has it embedded in.

Right now the only outstanding issues I'm aware of in 111RC3 are Japanese support, potentially missing sound support (minor, IMHO), and USB/shared printing snafus (but even 103GM suffers from those). I'm pretty certain I tracked down the missing MacShared.ppd issue with the fix 3 IA installer.

OK.

OPENSTEP wrote:
In the meantime, I'm grabbing the source code for Apple X11 and plan on trying to recompile it for Jag. Online Apple mentioned that they are reminding people that, under the license terms, we can't redistribute the Jag beta build packages. They did make their source available under the XFree86 license, though, so there's nothing that says we can't redistribute a derivative Smile

I'm not the expert on this one, and you will want to check the X11 Users mailing list (archives) for details, but I don't believe you will be able to completely duplicate the functionality, particularly "quartz-wm".

What version of XFree86 are you going with? Apparently I have been building OOo 1.1.x with XFree86 v4.3.0, and I thought I was building with XFree86 v4.2.1.1. I haven't tried with XFree86 v4.4.0 yet. Each version seems to have its own pitfalls when it comes to building something that will work on all users configurations.

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: TP user prefs not in ~/Library/Preferences/

I finally found the mythical 'Technology Preview' release. Geez, as much as you guys have been talking about it I had to use Google to find it.... I *really* want to get this rolled out to my users as soon as possible, so if the TP is functionally the same as the final it's better to get it sooner than later.

It's fast, works well (once I added in my MS TT Fonts collection), and I'm greatly pleased that exporting as PDF now yields filename.pdf rather than filename.sxw.pdf as 1.0.3 did. However.....

Instead of placing the user data in ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOfficeYaddaYadda it instead created a ~/.OpenOffice111. Is this now official policy for the Mac builds, or will the final follow the more Mac-like convention that 1.0.3 did?

Thanks,
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Installer stuff

Terry Teague wrote:
This was Mac OS X 10.3.0. Your mileage may vary on other versions of Mac OS X, particularly if you upgraded from Jaguar to Panther.

True, this. I myself haven't done extensive testing of the TP installer, I was just trying to apologize in advance if TP did fubar someone's permissions. No harm intended Wink

Terry Teague wrote:

Thanks Terry and sardisson! I'd never hardcode anything into an installer (wink wink).

This does raise a good point, though. In thinking of putting together the installers I've been continually going through a tradeoff in my mind of trying to make something with everything bundled into the installer or making a more "active" installer that goes on out to fetch its components. As I've found with Fondu and Ghostscript, even embedding textual URLs in the installer is Bad News (TM)...

In less then just one year of GM release most of the URLs where the original packages embedded in the GM installer were downloadede from are now unavailable or have moved, and several of the versionsn are no longer available for public download or are only on archives. So having the packages in the installer itself has definitely increased its long-term viability with this many project dependencies.

I wish I could just roll Apple X11 into it in the same way, but unfortunately that just can't happen due to licensing (not source level as it's MIT, but trademark level).

Terry Teague wrote:

Yes, the MacShared.ppd issue should now be fixed. From what I can tell in the fix3 installer it was being installed into a temporary location, but the action to move it into the proper psprint directory was failing.

Terry Teague wrote:
What version of XFree86 are you going with? Apparently I have been building OOo 1.1.x with XFree86 v4.3.0, and I thought I was building with XFree86 v4.2.1.1. I haven't tried with XFree86 v4.4.0 yet. Each version seems to have its own pitfalls when it comes to building something that will work on all users configurations.

Having seen teh commentary with things like Xinerama, esp., I can see how this occurs. Right now my build of OOo is off of 4.2.1.1. I'll go back and check to make sure this is the case. Although I'm building 4.2.1.1, I'm going to just include 4.3.0 in the installer rather then figure out the 4.4.x license Smile

ed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Mac keybindings/menu shortcuts

One other thing....

1.0.3 was 'tweaked' to have command- instead of control- be the normal meta key for keyboard shortcuts. That is, the menu says 'control-v' to paste, but in reality the Mac-like 'command-v' worked.

1.1.1 TP doesn't do this. I'm sure you realise this already, but I figured I should mention it just in case.... the accented characters that somebody mentioned earlier *do* work, like option-e yieldding é.

So, while we're on this topic, there's a glaring inconsistancy that would be great if it were addressed: All of the menu items where 'control' is mentioned should be IFDEF'd to read 'command' or the cloverleaf icon instead of 'control'. That cloverleaf icon already exists in OO as the icon in the menu beside Insert --> Special Character.

Thanks,
yvesde
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Installer stuff

Terry Teague wrote:

I came across something worth to look at if you need stuff from X11SDK:

XCode 1.1 update includes an update for it so the original installer from the CD will not work anymore should X11 had been deleted afterwards - X11User is still OK of course.

To say more about X11, having a country-style modem connection, I would surely appreciate NOT having X11 bundled with OpenOffice which is already a hudge download by itself, and I would say the same for ghostscript.

For longevity of the installer, just provide the separate packages on your own web site. The overall bandwidth can only be smaller anyway if people download only what they need.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.1 Installer stuff

yvesde wrote:
To say more about X11, having a country-style modem connection, I would surely appreciate NOT having X11 bundled with OpenOffice which is already a hudge download by itself, and I would say the same for ghostscript.

The idea is that we'll have both the full installer with dependent packages and localizations up as well as the X11 tarball up for advanced users (OOo only...uses the X11 installer or Kevin's pkg installer). The only problem with doing multiple installers is it's just that much more to test and that much more that can go wrong. Hopefully those two extremes will satisfy the advanced users who don't need everything and the new users that are already confusted by not having a drag-and-drop install process :p

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac keybindings/menu shortcuts

Anonymous wrote:
1.0.3 was 'tweaked' to have command- instead of control- be the normal meta key for keyboard shortcuts. That is, the menu says 'control-v' to paste, but in reality the Mac-like 'command-v' worked.

Ernk, I didn't realize that the command-key patch was broken. I'll check and see whether the patch wasn't moved forward or if it doesn't function properly for 1.1.1 and needs to be reworked.

ed
Aalan Charlesworth

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Happy with OOo 1.1.2 preview release

Thank you _very_ much for posting these previews. We at Sun who use Macs are very happy to finally be able to run a current release of OOo.

I don't know how much effort you saved by supporting only Panther and Apple's X11, but as far as I am personally concerned, that is an OK restriction.

When there is a tradeoff between staying current with OOo and supportng old Mac OS X releases, I would choose staying current without hesitation.
Alan Charlesworth

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, the previous post was made to the wrong thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

Rooster wrote:
Hey, I just installed "ooo111fix3rc1.dmg" on Panther (10.3.3) with Apple's X11 1.0. I only briefly looked at a couple of files but it seems to run. A couple of points (forgive me if some of these comments are dumb or off-base):

1) One thing that's been mentioned already is that the "Start OpenOffice.org" app doesn't seem to recognize 1.1.1 automagically. I got it to recognize 1.1.1b by editing my .sversionrc file in my home directory to read:

Code:
[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.1.1=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1

As you said earlier it doesn't overwrite the .sversionrc, but it doesn't seem to write anything to it either.

2) There's no weird volumes, no files named Perdition in their path or name.

3) Running it from the command line gives some weird statements in the terminal while its running e.g.:

Quote:
Warning: still couldn't load the PPD, MacShared.ppd may be missing. Will use generic printer PPD.
Could not get printer PPD file.

...so it doesn't look like MacShared.ppd has not been installed in a friendly place. There isn't any file called MacShared.ppd on my drive.

4) The Symbol font is screwy. It looks like Zapf Dingbats. This is the Symbol font I installed manually from an Adobe program (one of its required fonts) so I could port files to the non-unicode world.

Hope this helps and isn't completely redundant. Thank you so much for putting in your time and effort on this project!!!

Cheers,
Andrew
Wink Wink Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4