Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Missing currency symbol in language settings
Missing currency symbol in language settings

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadiuwant
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Missing currency symbol in language settings

I can set the language setting to Hebrew, but the currency symbol ₪ is replaced by a box.

How do I get the right currency symbol to display?
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject:

Did you select a hebrew font?

Thomas
wadiuwant
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply, Thomas.

OK, so after starting Open Office, I select Tools>Option.
The Options screen opens.

If I select Language Settings>Languages, the Default Currency field shows ILS Hebrew but the sheqel symbol displays a box.

If I have to select a Font, does that mean I have to select OpenOffice.org>Fonts and select a font in the Fonts field or are you referring to something else.

If it's a font in the Font field, which font would make the symbol appear in the Default Currency field. If not, I still need help.

Richard
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject:

What's the appropriate Unicode character for it? I was looking for u20AA but didn't see any valid character in the default interface fonts. The interface font itself would need to have the glyph for the unicode character for it to be rendered, else it'd be rendered as a box.

Once you find a font that has the right glyph, change the font mapping for "Andale Sans UI" to that font and that should let the glyph appear correctly.

ed
wadiuwant
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject:

But I don't seem to have Andale Sans UI.

Richard
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Ah, no the trick is that "Andale Sans UI" is the first font that the hardcoded mystic incantation buried in OpenOffice.org searches for when looking for the font to use for the user interface. I actually have no clue which platform Andale Sans UI exists on (though I'd guess windows). It also probably doesn't have the unicode character you need.

Since there's no explicit setting for the user interface font, the workaround is to use the internal font substitution. By using the font with the unicode character you need as the substitute for Andale Sans UI, you should be able to replace the user interface font with one that suits your needs.

Beware, though, this solution may only extend to the menus you see in the interface...you need to also be using a font with the appropriate unicode character in all of your documents for the proper currency symbol to appear.

ed
wadiuwant
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy That was the clue I needed. I've used Lucida Sans Regular. It's native to Jaguar, but is not there in Panther. Fortunately, I installed Panther using Archive and Install, so I still have that font.

You're really The One.

Thanks
Richard
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject:

At some point I'm going to spend time working on our 1.1.1 localizer. This is great info as it indicates I may need to look at applying changes to local configurations for the default font. Have any Hebrew Panther users found a default font that works?

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject:

wadiuwant wrote:
You're really The One.

LMAO! Really, I just have an accumulation of useless OOo knowledge Wink

In reality I'm just an arrogant bast##d and decided to give myself a corny themed nickname. Not to mention if I really was Keano Reeves I'd probably not have to work a 40 hour workweek programming...and wouldn't have to worry about an ever enlarging beer gut... Razz

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1