· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Foreign characters
Foreign characters

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Foreign characters

I am frequently switching between two languages and I am just trying to figure out the easiest way of inserting foreign characters into text I am typing. I tried using the Apple & T command but that does not work in NeoOffice (but anyway is not that useful from a workflow point of view). So every time I need a foreign character for a word that is not automatically picked up by the speller I need to click on the International icon in the menu bar and select "show character palette". Is there any other way available within NeoOffice to insert characters through keyboard shortcuts or similar? Any ideas appreciated.
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Panther palette

Well, it's not very fast, but you can use the native Panther palette… if you run Panther anyway.
This improved palette allow to define favorite characters. If you put it in the international menubar menu (the flag), by checking the option in international Preferences, it can be poped up easily, or better stay on screen while you work, resized to its smallest and with the favorite pane selected. Then your favorite chars are at two mouse clicks.
AKAIK, no shortcut.
Max
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:

What languages are you switching between? I switch between English and several Western European Languages (Spanish, Italian, and German). In my case, I have used the Key Caps application to find the keys to press for the various accented and special characters in these languages.

If you are switching between very different languages (like English and Japanese) and are familiar with the keyboards in both languages, you can switch the keyboard from the system menu and continue typing.

Patrick
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

[quote="pluby"]What languages are you switching between? I switch between English and several Western European Languages (Spanish, Italian, and German). In my case, I have used the Key Caps application to find the keys to press for the various accented and special characters in these languages.

Patrick,

I am always amazed how quickly you respond to queries and complaints. I wished that would be the case with other software!

I am switching between English (UK) and German. I find that the native character palette is not really very useful to me. What I would IDEALLY like is that one could specify keyboard shortcuts in NeoOffice as - I seem to remember - it used to be under Windoze Words.

I have heard of Mellel Writer (haven't used it) which supposedly seems to be able to do this. However, I really value the ability of NeoOffice/OpenOffice (I used StarOffice under Linux before) to be compatible with MS Office and therefore do not want to use anything else. After all it is not only down to the writer software but also to presentations and spreadsheets.

Another issue: How do I get the scan feature work? I know I am a pain but these are the features I would like to use without having to go to MS Office.

Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
I am switching between English (UK) and German. I find that the native character palette is not really very useful to me. What I would IDEALLY like is that one could specify keyboard shortcuts in NeoOffice as - I seem to remember - it used to be under Windoze Words.

You can type all German characters using an English keyboard. If you open the /Applications/Utilities/Key Caps application, you can press the Alt key and see all of the accent, umlaut, and the other special German characters that the English keyboard supports.

For example, pressing "Alt-u" and then pressing "u" will input a "u-umlaut" into NeoJ or any other Mac OS X application and pressing "Alt-s" will input an "ezset".

Update: If you are using Panther, the Key Caps application is hidden by default. The enable it, follow the instructions in the following article:

http://www.maccritic.com/tips/article/294_0_12_0_M/

Glenner wrote:
Another issue: How do I get the scan feature work? I know I am a pain but these are the features I would like to use without having to go to MS Office.

What scan feature are you talking about? I have only used the most basic features of NeoJ (I don't use word processors or spreadsheets much).

Patrick
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
For example, pressing "Alt-u" and then pressing "u" will input a "u-umlaut" into NeoJ or any other Mac OS X application and pressing "Alt-s" will input an "ezset".

Patrick, it works like a charm! Thank you for the hint which comes in very handy to me.

pluby wrote:
What scan feature are you talking about? I have only used the most basic features of NeoJ (I don't use word processors or spreadsheets much).

What I am trying to do is using the "Insert graphics" feature in NeoOffice. So far it has not managed to find my scanner and I read yesterday in another newsgroup that since "Panther" a number of other applications seem to be unable to "see" the scanner. These applications seemingly include Word and I believe Photoshop. The explanation I found is that the Twain driver was moved from the Systems directory to the Library.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1