Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Default document on startup
Default document on startup

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottSO
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Default document on startup

Is there a way to have NeoOffice not create a new blank document on startup?
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject:

Sure, see this entry in the wiki for instructions - it's not something that's built into the application, but there's a way to get around it. Have a good poke around the wiki while you're there, it's full of good tips about installing and using NeoOffice.

- padmavyuha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Just curious, Why would you want to do that? I usually open it when opening an existing document or when wanting to write a new one?

Are you trying to load it at bootup to use later w/o waiting for it to startup later when you do need to use it?
ScottSO
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the pointer. It's a very clever way of getting around this. Truth be told however, I think I'll just leave things alone. I suspect that this mod may actually cause me more grief down the road, as I'm sure to forget how I did it the next time I need to do it. And then the search for the procedure will begin all over again.

I sit in front of a few machines regularly and so try to keep them configured as close to each other as possible, so I was hoping it would be a minor change to the plist file or something—which it is, I realize. But I'll certainly forget to do the additional steps as described in the wiki or something.

Thanks anyway.

Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
I usually open it when opening an existing document or when wanting to write a new one?

I regularly open NeoOffice to start a new spreadsheet, and so need to close the blank Writer document before I can open a new Calc workbook. I don't take any issue with the additional step to get to the spreadsheet—though I do like simpler better. The real issue for me is that I run older hardware and after the program launches, have to wait an additional 10–15 seconds for the program to create a blank document I don't intend to use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:

ScottSO wrote:
Guest wrote:
I usually open it when opening an existing document or when wanting to write a new one?

I regularly open NeoOffice to start a new spreadsheet, and so need to close the blank Writer document before I can open a new Calc workbook. I don't take any issue with the additional step to get to the spreadsheet—though I do like simpler better. The real issue for me is that I run older hardware and after the program launches, have to wait an additional 10–15 seconds for the program to create a blank document I don't intend to use.

Fair enough. I used to have/use the stub apps for Neo/J 1.0 but as I do sometimes, I fooled around too much with themes manually and was trying to do one of my many Archive & Installs to bail myself out when I made a rare fatal mistake of checking the wrong box/or failing to do so while A & Iing from the original machine OS X DVD and the next thing I knew, I was doing an install from scratch (but I didn't wipe the HD) so I had all my stuff. Or at least I thought so. I couldn't find the Neo/J 1.0 stub apps (but they must be here somewhere). Anyway, I said to myself, let me try the Neo 2.0 set and sure enough they don't work w/ 1.0 just like the read me/narrative says...

I guess what I'm suggesting is try the stub apps work around unless you aren't running Neo 2.0 or later or not running PPC.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
I guess what I'm suggesting is try the stub apps work around unless you aren't running Neo 2.0 or later or not running PPC.

For what it's worth, the stub apps work fine for me in v2.x on an intel mac.

- padmavyuha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:

Good to know about stub apps working on Intel Macs too. The wiki link above I think says Neo version 2.0 and above and only PPC so maybe it can be revised to include all Macs.
ScottSO
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

As a follow-up, I thought I'd post some about an experiment I ran trying to take the shell script idea little further. Since there's no good way to launch a shell script from the Finder, I figured I'd try AppleScript instead. And that worked—with one minor catch. Here's what I did.

I created a new script and pasted the following:

Code:
do shell script "/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin -nodefault"

Then I saved the script as a run only application. I have a folder I created call "~/bin" for storing scripts that I goof around with. So, I can now create aliases to "~/bin/Start NeoOffice" anywhere I would launch NeoOffice from except "/Applications."

It works, except that the AppleScript will stay open as though it's hung, until NeoOffice is quit.

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:

actually the 'stub apps' are just as you say, shell scripts inside of applescripts. the current ones need to be in the same folder as neo, but the ones i was working on could be anywhere.

take a look in the wiki at the icons as well as the launcher stuff i was working on. if you are interested in helping, that would be great =D

-j
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:

ScottSO wrote:
As a follow-up, I thought I'd post some about an experiment I ran trying to take the shell script idea little further. Since there's no good way to launch a shell script from the Finder, I figured I'd try AppleScript instead. And that worked—with one minor catch. Here's what I did.

I created a new script and pasted the following:

Code:
do shell script "/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin -nodefault"

Then I saved the script as a run only application. I have a folder I created call "~/bin" for storing scripts that I goof around with. So, I can now create aliases to "~/bin/Start NeoOffice" anywhere I would launch NeoOffice from except "/Applications."

It works, except that the AppleScript will stay open as though it's hung, until NeoOffice is quit.

Try to add to your AppleScript the following line:
Code:
tell me to quit

It works for me. The script launches the app and quits.

Hope this helps

Jacqueline
ScottSO
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Try to add to your AppleScript the following line:
Code:
tell me to quit

It works for me. The script launches the app and quits.

That's really curious because it doesn't work for me. And I've tried a number of combinations too. For example, running just as a script, as an application, and by clicking the "Run" button from the editor window.

The new script is now:

Code:
tell me to quit

I have to point out that my programming skills actually lie with other technologies and so I don't really do any AppleScripting—as much as I'd love too.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Since it works for you, hopefully others may have the same experience if this trick is used by anyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Hey, thanks everyone for the scripting language above. I would try to open and edit in Script Editor the stub apps for Neo 2.0 but of course it would message, "you can't, saved as a run only script" (uneditable). Let me try this and see if I can recreate the stub apps for Neo/J 1.1 that disappeared on me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just got done playing with the script above and found my Stub apps that work with Neo/J 1.1. Here the SubApps Folder was not in the Applications Folder but rather in the Neo/J Contents Folder instead. I just dragged the Neo/J Writer icon and the Neo/J Calc icon from the SubApps Folder to the Dock and they both launch from there with a single click! like before.

Thanks again, all for helping me stumble upon them again!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and in all the excitement of getting the stub apps to work again I forgot to add that the script posted by ScottSO and modded to quit by Jaquie for no blank window upon Neo launch/start up does indeed work for me. OS X 10.2.8 and Neo/J 1.1.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2