Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - sporadic chrashes: memory limit overflow ?
sporadic chrashes: memory limit overflow ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: sporadic chrashes: memory limit overflow ?

Patrick,
Recently, while working on a 12 pages file, each one with a big picture inserted (± 1000x1000px, linked), I experienced sporadic but frequent enough crashing. The crash log showed different stack crawl each time. Most of the time it's in libvcl641mxp.dylib, sometime in libjvm.dylib.
As these are not reproducible crash, I wonder if this can be related to some sort of memory overflows.
Some time ago, you instructed me to raise the Java machine limit. IIRC this is no more necessary by now because the default limit should be sufficient. Anyway my system (10.3.2 512Mb ram) has, most of the time, 1Gb of swap (2x64+128+256+512 files). When I worked on that file I saw (and hear!) for the first time a second 512Mb file created.
Therefore I'm suspecting that the 512Mb java limit is not enough in some case.
What do you think? Is it useful to raise the -Xmx512m limit? How much?
Max
Edit: was with 8.0 patch-4, just dld patch-8.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Max,

You can raise the maximum by editing the NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup script and changing the -Xmx512m to -X1024m to raise the limit to a full gigabyte of memory. If that doesn't help, then the problem may be that all of those swap files are actually reserved for other applications and when Java actually tries to use another block of its 512 MB of memory, the virtual memory manager needs to grab more space and there isn't any disk left to create a swap file in.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Max,

Does "patch-1" or "patch-2" reduce or eliminate the crashes? Bug #69, which I fixed in "patch-1" would, in many cases, eventually cause NeoJ 0.8.1 to crash.

Or was the issue solved by raising the maximum memory limit?

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does "patch-1" or "patch-2" reduce or eliminate the crashes? Bug #69, which I fixed in "patch-1" would, in many cases, eventually cause NeoJ 0.8.1 to crash.

Patrick,
I'm sorry to say that I had no time to download and install 0.8.1 nor its two patches. I will, ASAP.
But crashes I experienced were so sporadic that it's very difficult to test. For example, I saw this bug several times: after a text file is modified, if one use the page-down then the page-up button (under the lift) to navigate into the file, Neo/J crashes. As I'm not able to fully qualify and reproduce this bug, I can't add it to bugzilla.
About memory limit this is the same, not enough testing to answer.
Anyway, as I have a work to complete using Neo/J (not the same graphic file that caused all crashes), I try to minimize virtual memory use, quitting any background application not useful for the task. Looks like it helps. Not sure.

Max
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1