Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - My Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default
My Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uzine
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: My Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default

Hello, my Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default to open files with .doc extensions. Via "show info", I've instructed my Mac to use Neo Office as the default software to open all files with .doc extensions, but after a while, MS has got us in its stranglehold again. What should I do ? Uninstall the trial run version of MS Office (which I haven't used yet) or ... ?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:

See:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Setting_the_Default_Application

You may also want to check out other tips and usage hints on the wiki while you're there. It's got answers to a lot of these kinds of questions.

ed
Uzine
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Tnx

Thank you very much.
Uzine
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: My Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default

...however, kind Sir of Openstep, I had already done what the wiki recapitulates, and after a day or so, the settings have magically jumped back to MS Word as default.

It is THAT specific problem I'd like to see fixed. Ask here or ask MacFixIt ?
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My Dutch Mac OS 10.4 keeps setting MS Word as default

Uzine wrote:
Uninstall the trial run version of MS Office (which I haven't used yet) or ... ?

Can't see any point in keeping it, can you? In one of your other postings, you express a preference for WordPerfect which, I believe, NeoOffice can import. Word cannot, I believe.

Since Word is of no current interest you and has no future on your Mac, why keep it? If you ever wonder in the future what you might be missing (unlikely, I grant you!), M$ will have a trial version available for download.

So, dump it.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

After the 30 days of first launch, the Office trial is also useless and just occupies hard drive space. Whenever it launches it just gives you the "trial has expired" dialog.

The only thing I can think of for the Finder preference getting lost might be if you're running out of disk drive space on your system disk; that frequently results in lost preferences. MacFixIt might be a much more helpful place to try and debug that particular problem.

ed
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The only thing I can think of for the Finder preference getting lost might be if you're running out of disk drive space on your system disk; that frequently results in lost preferences. MacFixIt might be a much more helpful place to try and debug that particular problem.

Sound advice, Ed.

Win-win situation. Dump Word and gain extra disk space! Twisted Evil
Uzine
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ray. Perfect sense. However, kind Sir of OpenStep, when I open a .doc without checking the link with Neo Office first, and MS has a go for it, accidentally, I do get a warning that MS Word is about to open, but I don't get "trial expired". Also, there's enough space left here. So I guess it's another kind of corruption of my prefs file(s). Which is why I started this thread in the first place, because methought something was wrong indeed. Anyhoo : over to MacFixIt for thàt matter... Cheerio oh sailers of that beautiful HMS Neo !
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1