Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Incredibly slow track changes 2.1 EA PATCH 1
Incredibly slow track changes 2.1 EA PATCH 1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Incredibly slow track changes 2.1 EA PATCH 1

Hi

I'm using 2.1 EA patch 1 and I'm getting incredibly slow redrawing when using track changes with or without the changes displayed. The CPU maxes out and my keystrokes are drawn at a snails pace while I type.

Anyone had this problem?

Ken
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen it myself, but I haven't done too much extensive work with track changes.

There have been some very nasty performance bugs reintroduced with the latest Java updates....

Did you install the latest Apple Java patches, or did you not install them?

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Incredibly slow track changes 2.1 EA PATCH 1

knussear wrote:
I'm using 2.1 EA patch 1 and I'm getting incredibly slow redrawing when using track changes with or without the changes displayed. The CPU maxes out and my keystrokes are drawn at a snails pace while I type.

Does this occur with the tracking changes turned off? I ask because spellchecking and tracking changes creates all those red lines by setting individual pixels on the screen.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Also, if the problem occurs, get a sample of the NeoOffice process using the Activity Monitor tool using these instructions and put it into bug 2126. We've been slowly wringing out each of the Java's "endless window flushing" bugs bit by bit in that bug and I don't doubt that there are a few still there.

Patrick
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject:

I have the Java for OSX 10.4 Release 5 Installed, not sure if its the newest, but it came via software update.

The problems happen both when I view the changes as strikethrough etc, and when I record - but do not show the changes as well. Neo does record all characters that I have typed, but takes a VERY long time (e.g. 20-30 seconds per sentence) to catch up on the display.

I have added samples to the bugzilla site.

I also tried it with changes off and it also refreshes slower than I type (which cant be a good thing). CPU goes to maximum when I type and slows down once it catches up.

Thanks for the help!
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:

An update to my previous post. I have tried all of the above acitons on my macpro intel desktop at work and I do not get the same behavior as with my ppcg4 laptop, which was used in the post above.

Hope this narrows the problem down.

Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:

FYI. I added you to the cc: list in the bug so that you will see my explanation of what is causing the behavior that you are seeing. In short, this is an OOo bug and it is, thankfully, not a reoccurrence of the Java bug that we fixed.

Check the end of bug 2126 for the test patch that attempts to fix this OOo bug.

Patrick
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks

I got the patches and tried them on both PPC and intel machines. The lag in updating seems to be corrected now, and the document now updates faster than I can type, so thats working great now!

Let me know if you need additional testing/sampling etc done on this.

I'll also post on bugzilla to keep the process there complete.

Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:

knussear wrote:
I got the patches and tried them on both PPC and intel machines. The lag in updating seems to be corrected now, and the document now updates faster than I can type, so thats working great now!

It is really interesting that this small OOo 2.1 change has such huge performance ramifications. Of course, it seems pretty brain-dead to me to try to repaint the screen after every single keystroke. While this change isn't really noticable on fast machines, I can see how this approach could cause a rediculous amount of CPU usage.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

That does seem pretty braindead Confused.. Excel 2004 does something like that nowadays: recalculates everything twice and gives 10 second beach balls on copying a cell (not even the pasting yet). It is a big spreadsheet, but still.

Good thing we have NeoOffice Smile.

-Oz
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Yes, this seems to also explain why I was seeing so many durned setPixel requests in my samples.

This is yet another reason I'm glad we aren't a part of OOo. We can get rid of the braindead stuff they thought was "nifty" at the time or "good for Windows" without jumping through a milliion hoops.

It sucks since now it's obvious that we have to deal with the aftermath of the shoddy engineering not only coming out of the OOo volunteer "developers", but also people who get paid to do this stuff full time.

Shocking.

ed
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Incredibly slow track changes 2.1 EA PATCH 1

pluby wrote:

...because spellchecking and tracking changes creates all those red lines by setting individual pixels on the screen.

Patrick

Damn OO.org, now I need to clean my keyboard
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:

If the setPixel junk continues to cause issues I'll go ahead and try to work on a patch that will replace it with the zigzag lines (a la Office) or the heavy underline (a la built-in Cocoa spellcheker).

ed
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:

Ed. we are (or at leat I am) really waintng for this!
What improvement that it would be!

Valter
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject:

We're going to try to solve the underlying performance issues in other ways first, however. Trying to replace wavy line drawing is a cop out because it simply avoids the problem in one case, and chances are similar setpixel behaviour is used elsewhere as well.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2