Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Stub Template?
Stub Template?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Stub Template?

I've been thinking about all the trinity threads in the "to add to the wiki" list, and the fact that I've been busy with translating recently. I've thought about just putting the links to the threads in the wiki, but most of them need their own page/article, and therefore maybe an explanation for why there is just a link there.

So, I tried my hand at making a template. It is Template:Stub, based on the FixMe template. I haven't added it to the list of templates yet, as I wanted some feedback on it. The way I have it set up currently, it would assign stub articles a stub category. Or would it be better to tag them as fixme?

Comments and changes are welcome.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stub Template?

Lorinda wrote:
The way I have it set up currently, it would assign stub articles a stub category. Or would it be better to tag them as fixme?

I'm of two minds on this Confused

On the one hand, it would be easier to have only one category of pages that need work (for easier scanning, etc.).

On the other, perhaps differentiating between pages that just need polish/bringing up-to-date/in sync with another language's version and pages that really have to be written completely from scratch would be useful to people (new editors might prefer the "classic" fixme as a way to get started, rather than diving in with writing an article from scratch?).

Whatever we do wrt to the category, note that there are currently pages in the "fixme" category that are really closer to stubs and should use the "stub" template....

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:

I can think of two ways to help your two minds Very Happy

One would be to add both the Stub and the Fixme categories to stubs.

Another would be to add a link to the Stub category in the text at the top of the Fixme category page. e.g. "A list of stub articles can be found here." (Can you link to category pages this way? I've ignored categories until now).

Maybe there are other options.

What do the other "wiki elves" think? (Thanks to Philip for the title!)

Another random thought: When a page is marked as "fixme," it would be nice if there was a note on the "talk" page explaining what needs to be fixed. Often times when I stumble across a fixme page, I don't know what's wrong. Obviously it would be too time consuming to do this will all 78 current fixmes, but maybe we could do so whenever we add new "fixme" notices? Or is this being done somewhere already and I've missed it?
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject:

I think that we have to see if the "visitors" or "users" go first to neowiki or here. I guess that many of them go first to the fora when have questions or problems...
While the proposal of oracle-elve-wiki Lorinda Wink will function only in the english version (if an user doesn't understand the fora in english and go to the es:neowiki and only finds a link to the fora... will produce some stomac problems!), I think that we can create a "general page" in wiki with links to solutions or answers that we have here on the fora...

I don't know if I explain correctly in english what I think Embarassed

Thanks again, Lorinda.
The Council-man-elve-wiki Rodrigo
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

One would be to add both the Stub and the Fixme categories to stubs.
What do the other "wiki elves" think?

I'm a bit confused, because it seems that "Stub" implies ipso facto "Fixme". So add both is a little redundant, isn't it ?
Quote:

Another random thought: When a page is marked as "fixme," it would be nice if there was a note on the "talk" page explaining what needs to be fixed. Often times when I stumble across a fixme page, I don't know what's wrong. Obviously it would be too time consuming to do this will all 78 current fixmes, but maybe we could do so whenever we add new "fixme" notices? Or is this being done somewhere already and I've missed it?

That's not a bad idea, only for the new Fixme articles of course. With an update every time someone adds an enhancement (on five Talkpages) ? But if you think thoroughly, all articles could be added in the "Fixme" category Wink (frightening !)

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

I think Rodrigo's suggestion is better than my idea of creating stub pages. I'll restate it here, to make sure I've understood correctly:

Instead of creating "stub" pages for the forum threads we hope to eventually turn into wiki pages, we create one page (Maybe "Other tips at Trinity"?) with links to those threads. We could either have one such page per language, or maybe just one "English" page with brief explanations in each language about the nature of the page. (As Rodrigo pointed out, the links don't help anyone who can't read English.)

In terms of my "fixme" suggestion, I hadn't thought about all 5 languages. But you are right, adding a note to the talk pages of the other languages would help us keep track up enhancement/updates.
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:

That is, Lorinda... you can explain exactly in english what I thought in spanish Very Happy

Create "Other tips at Trinity" that we can maintain "updated"
All the elve-wiki editors/translators put that page on their follow-up list (to know if we can translate or create an article, etc., etc.)
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

I agree with you, Lorinda and Roy. And I think that one page per language would be better than all the languages on the same page.

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I agree too.
I think that this need a new entry in "Tips and Hints for Using NeoOffice" page, and from there we should open the "Other tips at Trinity" page.

When do we start this? What Smokey thinks about this?

Valter
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm willing to put the page together, but when I went to do that I ran into another question. I was looking for the best place on the "Tips and Hints" page to put the link to a new "Tips from Trinity" page. The choices appear to be in the Miscellaneous category or creating a new section. If we create a new section, maybe we should just put the links to Trinity articles there rather than a new page??

This is what I get for giving in to my organizing impusles!

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject:

My preference would be for a page for these links, rather than dumping a bunch of links to trinity posts into Tips and Hints.

I'm not particularly opposed to a new section (right below the "About the Components" section) called "Tips from Trinity" or "In-Progress Tips" or something, that indicates the page in that section contains tips that are currently in post form that we hope to eventually get into wiki-article form....

I still prefer the idea of stub pages, I think, to this, in that it's easier to get started on a single article when a stub page exists than just working from a page of links, but I'll defer to the majority Wink

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject:

Is it possible to have

1) a link to a page "New articles needed" (something like that) on the "NeoOffice Tips and Hints" page

2) on the "New articles needed", links to stub pages

3) on the stub pages a link to the appropriate trinity forum and a short description of what is needed.

4) a link to the "New articles needed" in the "Contributing to the NeoOffice projects"

The two pages "NeoOffice Tips and Hints" and "Contributing to the NeoOffice projects" are in the five languages, that's nice for non English speakers.

Hope it's clear Wink

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

That sounds like a good idea. If we do that, do we still want the stub category? I'm guessing either we want to use the stub category I suggested, or use the "fixme" category (either in the stub template or just use the fix me template)

I think on the Tips page it should be referred to as "Tips from Trinity," or at least explained that way. (Maybe the section on the "Tips and Hints" page would have this title?) But I agree generally that the page should be called "New Articles Needed" or something like that.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

At long last, I have gotten started on this project.

There is a new page named New Articles Needed

I have added one tip so far.

I added a section to the "Tips and Hints" page titled "Tips from Trinity" Both pages include a note that the trinity threads are almost always in English, and suggesting that anyone needed a summary/explanation in French, Spanish, or Italian post a request at trinity for assistance. Let me know if I should strike this suggestion.... I'm relatively comfortable offering this for French, since Jacqueline, Samwise and I have been doing this fairly regularly, but maybe I shouldn't have spoken for Rodrigo and/or Valter. In the other direction, did I leave any languages out? I ran across a reference to German speakers frequenting trinity, but I'm not aware of any at the moment. Oh, yes, if Oscar were willing, I suppose we could add Dutch?

But I digress; The "New Articles Needed" page is set up so that each tip listed has both a wiki page link and a link to the appropriate thread in trinity. This lets us set up pages for easier editing, but also gives a quick link to the thread for those looking for answers. (It also means that if we are pressed for time we can leave the wiki page link "latent" but still have the link to the trinity thread.)

The Stub template now applies both the Stub and the Fixme Cateogories to stub pages, and the Stub Category page has been created.

All of this is, as always with a wiki, is open to adjustment/changes. I figured I'd get things started and we could adjust from there.

Lorinda
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

cool

Philippe ( "Questions ARE the Answers! Cool )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2