Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Development Plans and Support Levels for 2007
NeoOffice Development Plans and Support Levels for 2007

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject:

Also, another very, very, very important point...

Never use e-mail, trinity private messaging, or other personal contact details Patrick, myself, or anyone else here have provided in order to ask user support questions. This is extremely offensive to myself unless it's one of my close friends or coworkers/volunteers.

We have the forums and this is where user support questions belong.

My private communication channels are for my friends, coworkers, and personal business. Anonymously asking a user support question through using our private contact information is the surest way for it to be ignored and deleted with spite.

Others may do reply and provide private one-on-one support, but it's something that's frankly just totally ridiculous to even assume us to do so for friends, much less people you've never even heard of. If others volunteer to do this or say it's acceptable on a person to person basis that's one thing; I have never done so nor ever intended to do so in the past unless explicitly stated. In the absence of a public statement of desire for people to personally undertake one-on-one support, I would directly assume that any unsolicited support request received by direct e-mail or private message is not desired and will be treated as spam/spim.

This is how I treat just about everything coming through personal channels from people I don't already know these days Very Happy

Please note that this wasn't precipitated by any of the back and forth that's unfortunately occurred with some of the aqua & toolbar related bugs; over the last couple days a few new users suddenly started to assume I was a personal help desk; I am not.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I got one too. Unfortunately, it happens once in a few months that a total newbie thinks he or she can get a faster answer by PMing all of the moderators.

I tend to send back messages that explain that this is a counterproductive approach. In the most recent case, the offending user had already been pointed to the wiki by other forum regulars by the time I even saw the message....
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

Some newbies also submit support requests via the "Submit News" link from the main page...

Do you think there's any way we could make the process clearer? The server does have the registration e-mail that gets sent; perhaps we can include better instructions in addition to links to the wiki, users guide, etc.

I think that was a great suggestion, fairly straightforward to implement (although translation may be non-trivial via e-mail...), and could have a good immediate effect.

Thoughts?

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Well, who uses the 'submit news' button? I am wondering if it shouldn't just be taken of the main page.

As for the registration e-mails, I do not know which languages it gets sent in, but I am sure we can work out something out on the English version.

It comes to a point where I would consider e-mailing a 'quickstart guide' in PDf or protected ODF out with the registration e-mail to catch the usual stuff (I still have that Finnish migration FAQ stuff if someone cares).

Best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, who uses the 'submit news' button?

Patrick Wink

ovvldc wrote:
I am wondering if it shouldn't just be taken of the main page.

I agree. Or it could be deactivated, except for those who need it.
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

ED: I usually send to Patrick the spanish translation of the yellow messages that he puts on the neooffice home page.
There's another way to do that? I don't want to offend no one! Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
ED: I usually send to Patrick the spanish translation of the yellow messages that he puts on the neooffice home page.

What Ed is talking about is using PM for support requests. Web page translations are not a support request so don't worry about it in your case.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:

That isn't asking for support, that is giving it. I wouldn't worry too much Wink.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, no worries...I mean if you're answering the topic here you're probably definitely not one of the kinds of people who do this Wink

There are some people who, for some reason or another, think the world revolves around them and will happily send e-mails with their "ohmigod why don't I have the double borders? really if I had this I'd just ditch office!!! lolz" kind of question, post to multiple forums, start private messaging everyone and anyone who's answered a support question in the past, trying to contact us by AIM, calling on the phone (yes, it's happened to me...).

No offense, but I can't help but think people who think that much of themselves almost deserve to not get helped and perhaps bring them a bit closer to reality Wink

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, who uses the 'submit news' button? I am wondering if it shouldn't just be taken of the main page.
+1

ovvldc wrote:
It comes to a point where I would consider e-mailing a 'quickstart guide' in PDf or protected ODF out with the registration e-mail to catch the usual stuff
(I still have that Finnish migration FAQ stuff if someone cares).

Best wishes,
Oscar

I really like this idea. I don't remember what I received when I registered (or if I read it! Shocked ).
Items/links to include:
1. What is NeoOffice

2. What is the Scope of NeoOffice project:
"Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope."
OR Product enhancement requests!

2.1 "You should report underlying OpenOffice.org bugs in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers: http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html"

3. Troubleshooting_Tips. You MUST read this before you report problems. Pretty Please.

4. Reporting Problems and Bugs
aka Asking Questions on the Forums AND Reporting Bugs using Bugzilla

Updates for Trinity page:
Trinity list on the left side:
- FAQ - either update with current items, and/or link to Wiki
- Submit News - agree that this could be removed
Download NeoOffice on left:
- Bold items?,
- edit to "Get Latest Patch" to fit on one line
Other Websites:
- highlight "]NeoWiki" somehow, note as FAQ? or somehow note that NeoWiki is a GREAT resource of answers for NeoOffice

Philip ( You can lead a User to the Wiki, but can you make them ... read? Rolling Eyes )
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Download NeoOffice on left:
- Bold items?,
- edit to "Get Latest Patch" to fit on one line

I think whether "Get the Latest Patch" fits on one line or two really depends on your screen and window size; I see it on one line ...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:

So I want to thank the helpful people that have been evaluating bugs. However, I've noticed one small problem: evaluators who close the bug never see any of the response postings.

Generally, this is because posting to a bug does not cause Bugzilla to send you e-mail of any future postings. In order to get such e-mail, you have to add yourself to the bug's cc: list or have yourself as the person assigned to the bug.

There are some options that we can do:

1. Just ignore the response posts like we do now

-or-

2. Get used to adding ourselves to the cc: list when we evaluate a bug

-or-

3. Have me add the common evaluators to the "Developer" group in Bugzilla so that you can assign the bug to yourself when you evaluate or close it

- or -

4. Have me modify the Bugzilla code so that all posters to the bug get an e-mail

Which preference does everyone prefer?

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Personally I'm trying option 2. I'm not against options 3 and 4 though; but I don't like option 1.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Personally I'm trying option 2. I'm not against options 3 and 4 though; but I don't like option 1.

Neither do I but it is what many evaluators are doing so I thought I'd include it.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I actually regularly scan the "closed" bugs list for new comments, particularly for bugs I've closed, so I don't add myself to cc lists except of bugs I'm actively interested in (I get too much email as-is).

I think I'm really the only person not cc'ing myself to such bugs; most everyone else is doing 2.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7