Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - When will NeoOffice/J be using 1.1(.1?) codebase?
When will NeoOffice/J be using 1.1(.1?) codebase?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: When will NeoOffice/J be using 1.1(.1?) codebase?

THe subject says it all.
I cannot get any information about the OOo X11 development speed. I think the most promising project to date is NeoOffice/J. So how much work would it be to make NeoOffice/J 0.9 an OOo 1.1(.1?) release?
ANd are there any plans to eventually get there?
lga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject:

Amen to that.

I just started to use Neo/J and so far it works flawlessly, and has a so much better font rendition than the X11 version that I would probably stop using the X11 version if I had 1.1.1 functionality (and better speed). And of course Java 1.4.2 would be the icing on the cake.

I am afraid that's a lot of work, though, and I guess there are far too few people working on it.

I'd like to know short and long term goals, and see a roadmap, though. That might motivate more people to help if we saw something glittering just beyond the road curve...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject:

lga wrote:

I'd like to know short and long term goals, and see a roadmap, though. That might motivate more people to help if we saw something glittering just beyond the road curve...

full ack!
Gigi Fremdenführer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject:

Here is antoher supporter of switching over to OOo 1.1.1 codebase + roadmap.
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:

A roadmap would be really nice! Even if it's just a 'sticky' post here in the forum.

Maybe you could quickly discuss the issues involved in moving to the 1.1(.1) code base, as well as to Java 1.4(.2), and when (or if) these issues may be resolved.

I know you're very busy, but these questions are sure to be asked a lot as more newcomers show up on the forum...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject:

All,

Based on the discussion, it seems to me that there is some confusion about how the NeoOffice/J development process works. From the discussion, I sense that many of you are looking for a "roadmap" or "timeline" similar to what software companies routinely provide.

These items do not exist. Why not? Well, primarily because NeoOffice/J is not developed by a company that is trying to sell you copies of their software. Instead, it is developed by one person (i.e. me) that develops NeoOffice/J in his spare time. In other words, NeoOffice/J is my hobby.

I make my living as a software consultant which leaves me with enough time to make progress on NeoOffice/J. However, I never publish timelines because if a paid consulting contract becomes available, I work on the paid contract first.

For those of you that are curious how much work would be required to move NeoOffice/J to the OOo 1.1 codebase, I have a "proposed roadmap" document available at http://www.planamesa.com/doc/proposal.html.

As you can see from the proposed roadmap, it would require a minimum of 3 - 4 months of full-time work to move the code to the OOo 1.1 codebase. Both NeoOffice/J and OOo 1.1 are very labor-intensive development projects.

Patrick
Harald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject:

I didn't want a commercial product roadmap, but some kind of plan about what you're going to do. Is your proposed roadmap something you really work on or just an outline on what you could do if you had more time?
i.e. do you intend to work on porting NeoOffice/J to the 1.1(.1) codebase?
Unfortunately I cannot help you out as I am myself working on several software projects plus university studies. But perhaps someone else here can.

I really would love to see you starting the project and perhapss release some sort of alpha when you get it compiled.

And be sure the I really appreciate your hard work. Perhaps you could make up a wishlist on Amazon so that we could buy you a book or a CD?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:

help is a problem we have been recently discussing.

there are about three programmers here, two for the OO.o/X11 and NeoOffice projects and one for Neo/J (if i forgot anyone it was not on purpose).

There are lots of people, like myself, who want to help, but can't because of lack of knowledge on programming languages. We try to help as best we can.

the port to 1.1 code base is a big project. probably about as big as the initial Neo/J project was because of all the changes. The current OO.oX11 port will help some, but there will still be many issues.

-j
Orleander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
help is a problem we have been recently discussing.

there are about three programmers here, two for the OO.o/X11 and NeoOffice projects and one for Neo/J (if i forgot anyone it was not on purpose).

I would opt for an Amazon wishlist for the programmers so that they can feel how we appreciate their work. Very Happy
lga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I agree that moving to 1.1.1 codebase would be the first thing to do. The application is much more stable and compatible with MS Office, and it is also *much* faster. I hope that moving Neo/J to 1.1.1 would gain as much.

Patrick, you write of moving to Java 1.4.2 + accessibility code. I am not clear ass to what constitutes the accessibility code, what does it bring. Apart from the mouse wheel, the thing I am most hoping for in such a move is added performance (I have a lowly TiBook/400). How much would it cost in time if you were to separate Java 1.4.2 and accessibility?

And as for the Amazon Wish List, I also propose iTMS Gift Cards (well, once we get them in Europe, anyway Razz )

Good night guys.
Harald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject:

lga wrote:

And as for the Amazon Wish List, I also propose iTMS Gift Cards (well, once we get them in Europe, anyway Razz )

Yeah, come along with something more creative than a PayPal button! Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject:

lga wrote:
Patrick, you write of moving to Java 1.4.2 + accessibility code. I am not clear ass to what constitutes the accessibility code, what does it bring.

Patrick, along the lines of lga's question, I wondered whether drag-and-drop was predicated on Java 1.4.x or if it's easier to implement in 1.4.x or just is lumped in the same category as one of the "lesser-used features." (To me it wouldn't be lesser-used; I much prefer drag-drop to cut-paste Smile)

Also, would I be right in assuming that OOo drag-drop is more or less similar to standard Mac drag-drop (within and between apps)?

I ponder and pose these questions aloud because I know you've mentioned before that the switch to Java 1.4.x would leave all the OS X 10.2.x userbase behind and wonder if--time/resources permitting, of course Very Happy--drag-and-drop might not be a nice piece of Mac-like behavior to have in a "last version that supports 10.2.x."

(I guess I should also add that it's unclear to me when this will all be relevant, so I might be just singing to the clouds....)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject:

Overall, Java 1.4.x only helps to implement mouse wheel support and accessibility. Drag-and-drop is not made any quicker or easier with Java 1.4.x.

As for Iga's question, separating out accessibility does not make the Java 1.4.x upgrade any easier. In fact, the accessibility code is really simple code. All of the effort will be fixing all of the existing code that will break due to Java 1.4.x's bugs or differences from Java 1.3.x.

In other words, there is no shortcut.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1