· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 2.1 Press Kit and Release Announcement
2.1 Press Kit and Release Announcement

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: 2.1 Press Kit and Release Announcement

It's time we really start thinking about the Press Kit (and a Release Announcement) for Neo 2.1.

* I recently added Cavallo's testimonial to the 2.1 Kit (replacing Ray's fine one from 1.1), but I'd like to see if we can't find a few shorter comments to add, too (like in 1.1). Suggestions?

* We also need to make some decision about who we're going to list in the Profiles section. It was pretty easy for 1.1; there weren't a lot of people and there were discreet contributions. Our goals for that section were to show that although Patrick (and Ed and Dan) did the programming work, NeoOffice was more than just the coders; that others—"real people"—could (and did) make meaningful contributions to the development of NeoOffice.

For 2.1, I've provisionally added a number of people (Daniel P., Armando, & Oscar, for the icons and graphics; Brett, for NeoIconer, [which I saw as part of the driving force for getting new toolbar icons, but maybe I'm wrong]; "NeoWiki Translators"; and FreeSMUG (for torrent seeding).

I propose deleting Dan Williams, Fridrich/libwpd, Max Barel, and Aelitis from the list, since they haven't done much directly for Neo in the 2.x timeframe.

Instead of my provisional "NeoWiki Translators", I want to propose adding jgd, valterb, RoyFocker, and Lorinda individually. Valter and Rodrigo brought us two nearly-complete translations of the wiki in the past year and have added a number of new articles, and Jacqueline and Lorinda have added a number of new articles and translations in both the French and English wikis. Gone are the days were 90% of the content in the wiki was written by me, and I feel these editors have made significant contributions to this worth recognizing individually.

If the user guide is in good shape by the time 2.1 is ready, I think aussie149 (Peter) is a candidate for inclusion, too.

Since this is a community project, and since picking out individuals in a community effort can always be controversial, I wanted to get some discussion/feedback on these proposals (or any other proposals folks might have).

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:

If you are going to list people to thank, I think we should thank the following as both entire Neo 2.x series would not have been possible without them:

1. Our anonymous donor who funded much of the Neo 2.1 development work
2. Our 12 NeoOffice mirror sites for handling up to 4 terabytes of bandwidth every month

Also, since the press release might get slashdotted, I would suggest that once it is ready for release, you make a copy of the content in plain HTML and I post the page on one of our servers so that we don't kill the NeoWiki or Trinity.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
2. Our 12 NeoOffice mirror sites for handling up to 4 terabytes of bandwidth every month

4 TB each, or in total? And should we list/link them individually, or is a group thanks sufficient?

pluby wrote:
Also, since the press release might get slashdotted, I would suggest that once it is ready for release, you make a copy of the content in plain HTML and I post the page on one of our servers so that we don't kill the NeoWiki or Trinity.

Yeah, we learned that lesson Wink

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject:

For the process I can also provide the copy for the media packet/press kit we released around OOoCon 2006. Unfortunately for various reasons, I did not eat my own dogfood on the document and it's in Macromedia Freehand and uses non-open source fonts so it'll require coordination with whomever needs to update it (which may be up to me to do...)

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject:

What about including the Bugzilla triage team, either as an "anonymous" group or by name?

mickeyinlalaland has been doing a lot of bugzilla triage of late, including picking up all the bugs I poked just before I had to go inactive for a bit.

andy's been one of the primary one's to check Intel specific bugs.

A number of other folks pitch in from time, to time, too.

I'm on the road a lot this next week, but I'll see if I can't write up a brief "testimonial" for you.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
For the process I can also provide the copy for the media packet/press kit we released around OOoCon 2006. Unfortunately for various reasons, I did not eat my own dogfood on the document and it's in Macromedia Freehand and uses non-open source fonts so it'll require coordination with whomever needs to update it (which may be up to me to do...)

ed

Hehe...I have an old version of Freehand (8, I think, that runs in Classic) Wink and which I find easier to use than Illustrator Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
pluby wrote:

4 TB each, or in total? And should we list/link them individually, or is a group thanks sufficient?

At least 4 TB each. That's what my server is using and it roughly equals 500,000 downloads x 125 MB each download / 14 mirrors (we run two of the mirrors).

Your call on whether to list them individually or not.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hehe...I have an old version of Freehand (8, I think, that runs in Classic) Wink and which I find easier to use than Illustrator Sad

I always was a Freehand guy myself too Smile Anyway, let me know. I can take a first pass on updating it as well and then just post for feedback...that might be the best route.

ed
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

I have Freehand 10 and works perfectly in Mac OS X... if you need something
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Up to you...it was designed as marketing material to communicate to marketing folks so in terms of end-user utility it's probably not that great. At one point we were thinking of translating it but were just like, "meh, it's marketing".

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject:

+1 for all! Cool
    Smokey's additional folks, Mystic Wikki Elves,
    Patrick's Donor and Mirrors,
    Ed's PR (even if it's in Freehand Wink )

Plus, Maybe update the Wiki Comparison pages to note"
- Flash output from Impress,

- DOCX, VBA, and other Neo 2.1 EA items!

Philip ( WOW, What a Community! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:

FH 10 Source:

http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/images/neopkv3.tgz

Note that you may need a 10.4 computer to recognize the archive to get the resource fork. If if doesn't work I can always pony up the money and make a stuffit archive (pity, yet another classic Mac OS staple that time/open source/Apple has washed up and passed by)

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Licensing on doc = GPL.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
FH 10 Source:

http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/images/neopkv3.tgz

Note that you may need a 10.4 computer to recognize the archive to get the resource fork.

I know tar-gzip runs deep in your veins, but you can really just use "Create Archive of..." in the Finder context menu, which is both compatible with 10.3 and up *and* which preserves type/creator and other Mac metadata Wink (and StuffIt Expander can decode it on 10.2).

Smokey
/use the zip, Luke ?

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Plus, Maybe update the Wiki Comparison pages to note"
- Flash output from Impress,

I though that feature was already present in Aqua Beta ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5