2.1 Press Kit and Release Announcement

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Hi Smokey.

There is something I don't understand: should I translate just the Announcement box or the entire page?

Valter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Just the announcement box. Sorry that wasn't clear (too many leftovers from 1.1) Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:

FYI. The HTML copies of the English, French, and Italian pages are posted at http://download.neooffice.org/neojava/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.1.html.

If you want to see a specific language, append to the URL ".en" for English, ".fr" for French, and ".it" for Italian.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

When I translated, I noticed that in the "A Feature-Complete, World-Class Office Solution" section the export to LaTeX (and BibTeX) does not appear. IMO it's regrettable, because it's a very important new feature.

Is it possible to add it?

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject:

Jacqueline, JCA isn't Java Connector Architecture, but the Sun Joint Copyright Assignment. I corrected this on the announcement page on the Wiki.

Patrick, is this important enough to merge the version on download.neooffice.org with that on the Wiki ?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Oops Evil or Very Mad I'm sorry… Thanks for the correction.

Jacqueline
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Hi all,

I have translated the press release to Norwegian, but I can't figure out where to put it on the Wiki...

knutkja
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Jacqueline, JCA isn't Java Connector Architecture, but the Sun Joint Copyright Assignment. I corrected this on the announcement page on the Wiki.

Patrick, is this important enough to merge the version on download.neooffice.org with that on the Wiki ?

We are still editing these pages? These are press releases and they have already have many hits and it is very bad form for an ornanization to change press releases after you have released it.

The time to proofread these things is well before release. No offense, but creation of this press release was procrastinated until the very last minute and I'm not going to do a whole bunch of unplanned work because the community didn't make good use of the last month when this topic was started.

I was given these releases at the last second (they should have been mostly done last week at the latest) and my next few days are already jammed with work.

Edit: And why are translators modifying Micheal Meeks' quotes? His quote was "JCA". If you don't understand someone's quote, you shouldn't make crap up and then attribute it to them.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Knut, you have a wiki login, right?

If so, just make a new page titled no:NeoOffice 2.1 Annoucement (or whatever that English bit would be in Norwegian), e.g. http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/no:NeoOffice_2.1_Announcement

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Edit: And why are translators modifying Micheal Meeks' quotes? His quote was "JCA". If you don't understand someone's quote, you shouldn't make crap up and then attribute it to them.

I added "[Joint Copyright Assignment]" in square brackets (which is the proper way, in English, to indicate an addition/acronym expansion by an editor) to the English version on the wiki to try and prevent any more confusion in translation.

In retrospect, I should have realized that was confusing jargon yesterday; sorry.

I'm sorry all of this was last minute, too; it's my fault. I haven't had very much time lately, and especially this month, and was very lucky not to be working all weekend Sad

We need to get started on this a month in advance again next time (we did for 1.1 and things were a lot better).

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I added the square brackets to the Fr and It pages, as well as NDT (note du traducteur) to the French announcement. I'm not sure if a note in square brackets is the right way to indicate this in French (or Italian), but at least it's become clearer that it doesn't come from Mr. Meeks. Of course, we can't do anything to the version on the download.neooffice.org website Sad
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Knut, you have a wiki login, right?

If so, just make a new page titled no:NeoOffice 2.1 Annoucement (or whatever that English bit would be in Norwegian), e.g. http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/no:NeoOffice_2.1_Announcement

Smokey

Thanks Smokey, it's out on the wiki now!

K
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I added the square brackets to the Fr and It pages, as well as NDT (note du traducteur) to the French announcement. I'm not sure if a note in square brackets is the right way to indicate this in French (or Italian), but at least it's become clearer that it doesn't come from Mr. Meeks. Of course, we can't do anything to the version on the download.neooffice.org website Sad

What I did do is delete the "(Java Connector Architecture)" passage from my French page so that it was simply "JCA" like the other pages as the misattribution 1) shifts the whole point of his quote from "we're working toghether" to "Sun's Joint Copyright Assignment" and 2) made either him or us look like we don't know what we are talking about and since he, Ed, and I or engineers we can't really plead ignorance.

I'm leaving the download.neooffice.org pages as what they were originally frozen at: JCA and no clarification. So let's quit fussing with these pages as now I am reluctant to pull in any further translations as I have no idea whether they are translating what download.neooffice.org and trinity.neooffice.org's front have issued as a press release or not.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I was going to suggest that (removing the original mistake in the French version), but I thought you were too busy with other release tasks. Thanks for doing it Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:

What commotion... Anyway, the Dutch version is done. Sorry about the delay. Even a relatively small document takes several hours to translate and a bit more to proofread. And I didn't even go and translate the quotes (I just left them in English)..

Should I plug the text anywhere?

best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5