Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Using Page Styles in a Master Document
Using Page Styles in a Master Document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Using Page Styles in a Master Document

Valter and Jacqueline:

Having finished the Master Document article translation, I decided I should translate the addition to the Page Styles article related to Master Documents.

But I'm really struggling to understand one paragraph.

Here's the Italian original: (provided for Valter's benefit; I can't do more than pick out a few words here and there based on their similarity to French or Latin)

Facciamo un esempio. Ammettiamo di aver scritto un documento dove sono state inserite delle pagine a cui abbiamo applicato uno stile di pagina da noi creato, per esempio uno stile di pagina con orientamento Orizzontale. Se adesso volessimo inserire questo documento all'interno di un documento master ci accorgeremmo che le pagine che nel documento originale erano orizzontali, adesso vengono visualizzate in verticale, anche se in precedenza abbiamo importato nel documento master lo stile di pagina Orizzontale.
L'unico modo con il quale possiamo riuscire a vedere le pagine Orizzontali nel nostro documento Master è

And here's Jacqueline's translation:

Prenons un exemple. Supposons que nous ayons écrit un document où ont été insérées des pages auxquelles nous avons appliqué un style de page que nous avons créé, par exemple un style de page orientée horizontalement. Si maintenant nous voulons insérer ce document dans un document maître nous nous apercevrons que les pages du document original étaient horizontales, maintenant nous voulons les afficher verticalement, même si précédemment nous avions importé dans le document maître le style de page "Horizontal".
La seule façon de réussir à afficher les pages horizontalement dans notre document maître consiste à

I've figured out this much:

The example concerns a document (lets call it document A) that includes at least two different page styles, one of them being a user defined page style with landscape (horizontal) orientation.

After that, I get a little confused. The preceding paragraph leads me to believe that if:
a) I had already created a master document and
b) I imported the page styles used in document A
Then when I insert document A into the master document, the page styles of document A would remain as they were before insertion.

In the paragraph in question, though, I am having trouble understanding whether the hypothetical author wants to keep the landscaped page styles after insertion or if the intent is actually to shift these pages to a portrait (or vertical) orientation when when document A is inserted into the master document.

I'm also a little confused by the last statement: "the only way to attach the hortizonal pages is to:...." I thought an earlier paragraph indicated that importing page styles was an option. (This sentence is also part of why I'm confused about the aim of the hypothetical author).

I'd appreciate any help you can provide me in sorting this out.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks Lorinda for having picked me up on that Wink
Sorry, my translation was a bit confusing.
I change the text to:

" Supposons que nous ayons écrit un document où ont été insérées des pages auxquelles nous avons appliqué un style de page que nous avons créé, par exemple un style de page orientée horizontalement (en format "Paysage"). Si maintenant nous voulons insérer ce document dans un document maître nous nous apercevons que les pages du document original qui étaient horizontales, sont maintenant affichées verticalement (en format "Portrait"), même si précédemment nous avions importé dans le document maître le style de page "Paysage" (ou "Horizontal")."

If you try to insert your document A which contains "Landscape" pages in a master document of which pages are in "Vertical" format, the pages of A are displayed in "Vertical" format. It's not what you want.

Hope now I'm clear.

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject:

I've seen your translation, and there is a little difference from what I've written, or at least from what I intend to say.
Infact you've written
Code:
In effect, the master document ignores all the page styles present in the inserted files and uses only the default style, if we have not taken care to import the different page styles of the inserted documents.
while I intend
Code:
In effect, the master document ignores all the page styles present in the inserted files and uses only the default style, even if we have imported the different page styles of the inserted documents.

The reason of this behaviuor is the "intelligent"/"smart" decision that we have explained in the above paragraph
Quote:
Suppose that two authors are working together on a book and each is to work on different chapters. Also suppose that one of the authors is in Europe and the other in in North America. The standard page size for the European author is in A4, while for the North American author it is Letter. When it is time to assemble the book, joining the chapters by the two authors on two different page sizes could present a problem. Because of that, NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org are not concerned with the page format used in the individual chapters, but instead uses as the default page style in use when the master document is created.

So, the only method I've found to do this is:
    - split your "single" document in documents that contains only one page style
    - insert the sub-files as normally done for inserting files in a master document
    - in the navigator select the file we want it has the different page style
    - from the navigator window insert a "text"
    - double-click on Text you have just inserted
    - Insert a manual break, choose radio button "page break" and choose page style you wish to have in the document

Remember that that style will be applyed from that point to the rest of the document (unless you have specified something different when you have created that page style.

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks. I enhance the Fr translation.
Every so often I still stumble over the It --> Fr translation. But I'll make progress.
(I saw that in a few minutes you have translated the "Importer des tableaux HTML dans un document Calc" in Italian, as if by magic Very Happy )

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:

It's because I had some free time just at that time...

Valter
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject:

Thank you both for the help. I've finished a rough translation of the section. it still needs some polish (including templates for the menus, etc.) But I'll get to that later.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1