NeoOffice :: View topic - Wish list for NeoOffice
Wish list for NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Wish list for NeoOffice

Many people who aren't developers have asked how they can help NeoOffice. Some people have volunteered to make small donation and others have asked if there is anything that they can buy me that I might need. I thought about this over the last few days and, since I have everything that I already need or want, I realized that small donations or gifts would be nice, but they won't really help NeoOffice.

Instead, I came up with a very short list of things that people who aren't developers can do that would really help NeoOffice. If you want to help, take a look at the following items and contact me at patrick dot luby at planamesa dot com if you can provide any help.

Update: March 2, 2005
* Donate to NeoOffice at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/donate.php - NeoOffice is a large, complex application and making sure that it works on the latest Mac OS X updates and releases is a full time job. Unfortunately, without sufficient donations, development will not keep up and Neo will grow buggier with each new Mac OS X update or release. Right now, the following two major development tasks need to be done to keep pace with Mac OS X changes and OpenOffice.org changes. These two tasks will require between US$100K and $US200K of developer time:
- Remove Java 1.3.1 dependency
- Move Neo/J to OpenOffice.org 2.0 code
End Update: March 2, 2005

* Mirror the NeoOffice binary - Interestingly, NeoOffice's biggest problem right now is that it is very popular. Downloads last month were nearly a terabyte across all mirrors! This amount of bandwidth is expensive and difficult to find. So if you have spare bandwidth (even 25 gigabytes per month), mirror the NeoOffice binary. You can mirror the binary using the following steps:
- Download the binary from http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php and verify that its MD5 sum is c7eab8bc8dc389f5b8ee01e6fa26aeed.
- If you are using Apache as your webserver, add the following line to the .htaccess file in the directory that you put the binary in. This ensures that Apache won't serve the file with a "text/plain" content type:
Code:
AddType application/octet-stream .dmg

- Send me an e-mail with a URL of the binary, the country that your server is located in, and how much bandwidth per month your server can handle and I will put your link on my download page.

* Translate the NeoOffice website - One of the big features of NeoOffice is that it supports many languages and keyboards. Right now, the NeoOffice website is fully translated into English, French, German, and Italian and is partially translated into Japanese. If you are interested in updating the Japanese translation or translating the website into a different language, send me an e-mail and I will send you the HTML files and instructions.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Harald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject:

Okay, I think I'm going to find some webspace for you somewhere at university. Just give me a few days. Very Happy
Woody1234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject:

This may be a stupid comment, but could you host NeoOffice/J as a project on java.net? I know that it is not a Java program but I do not know the rules that apply to this....
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I looked at java.net, but they have the same restrictions as SourceForge: bandwidth usage limits and extremely long legal documents. But I have applied for mirroring at sunsite.dk which does not have such restrictions.

Also, thanks to Vincent (he runs the NeoJ French mirror), I now have extremely cheap bandwidth with a French webhosting company.

I have added this new mirror to the NeoJ download page.

Patrick
nedrichards
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject:

i've stopped being a student so i can't apply anymore but if you've got a tame UK student the UK mirror service at mirror.ac.uk is fast, free and mirrors loads of cool open source stuff.
amake
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject:

The University of Wisconsin mirrors OpenOffice.org. I'm currently asking them about adding NeoOffice/J.

Edit: UW-Madison is now mirroring Neo/J at
http://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirrors/apple/neoofficej/
I haven't checked the MD5 yet, so YMMV.

Last edited by amake on Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: possilbe mirror

I would suggest you try: http://www.mirrors.pair.com/

They host many popular open-source software projects including OpenOffice so maybe they would also host NeoOffice/J

Erin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish list for NeoOffice/J

pluby wrote:
1. Mirror the NeoOffice/J binary

Why not use bittorrent? Openstep already uses it for openoffice.org.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm waiting to hear back from my host about what my monthly bandwidth limit is - I have a site that's just poetry, so I've probably got loads of monthly bandwidth to spare. I'll let you know. (This would be a UK mirror.)

- yoxi

*** update***

Well that was a non-runner, but I'm asking around. And meanwhile, maybe I've got a strong enough desire to get alienated from myself to consider learning java and helping you guys out...
Vroem
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Coral cache

Coral offers free caching of files or even whole websites. Just add .nyud.net:8090 to the hostname of any URL and coral will send the request to a cache server near you.

Example: NeoOfficeJ 1.1 Beta

More info on http://www.coralcdn.org/
keirnna
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wish list for NeoOffice

pluby wrote:
* Translate the NeoOffice website - One of the big features of NeoOffice is that it supports many languages and keyboards. Right now, the NeoOffice website is fully translated into English, French, German, and Italian and is partially translated into Japanese. If you are interested in updating the Japanese translation or translating the website into a different language, send me an e-mail and I will send you the HTML files and instructions.

Patrick

I just sent you an email, but my girl friend and I would be happy to translate the website for you.

Nathan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wish list for NeoOffice

keirnna wrote:
I just sent you an email, but my girl friend and I would be happy to translate the website for you.

Thanks for the offer. Our Japanese translations have been falling behind the other translations so I'll definitely send you the files.

Patrick
marcn
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wish list for NeoOffice

pluby wrote:
- Send me an e-mail with a URL of the binary, the country that your server is located in, and how much bandwidth per month your server can handle and I will put your link on my download page.

Re the download mirrors, perhaps it would be a good idea to show the location/nationality of each mirror, to emphasise to users that it's preferable for them to use the closest mirror?

Also, I'm not 100% sure on the etiquette, but with a bit more of a focus on directing users to an appropriate mirror, you might consider de-emphasising your own download link -- perhaps by moving it to the bottom, and separating it from the list a little?

...just a thought on incrementally reducing costs.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wish list for NeoOffice

marcn wrote:
Also, I'm not 100% sure on the etiquette, but with a bit more of a focus on directing users to an appropriate mirror, you might consider de-emphasising your own download link -- perhaps by moving it to the bottom, and separating it from the list a little?

We have been rotating the list of mirrors every 15 minutes for the last year or so. The fact that you saw my mirror at the top of the list is just coincidence.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1