Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Main webserver slow (surprised?)
Main webserver slow (surprised?)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Main webserver slow (surprised?)

OK, well the ISP hosting our main webserver decided to temporarily cancel our account (without telling us, I might add...) so the primary website is now running on the backup server. Keep pantyhose on. If our ISP decides to play nice we'll flip it back to make it faster for all y'all Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Ew, evil Mad
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:

BTW I can't access BugZilla ATM ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject:

We're using the BZ server as the backup server, so all connections to www/download/BZ will sit in the same queue. I'm tweaking the server now but it's gonna be slow for some time.

Our original ISP finally allowed us access to the dir. again there, but chances are if we switch it back to them they'll just shut us off again without telling us. I'd rather have "slow" than "offline" at this point in time Smile

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Trinity seems to be buckling under the workload as well.. Another victim of her own succes.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Nah that's just because it's sharing the connection with the www backup.

We may have a new ISP by tomorrow, we may not. In the meantime, yup, trinity/BZ/www/download will all be slow.

Having to move our main site to a backup was not anticipated. Damn you shared hosting!!

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Nah that's just because it's sharing the connection with the www backup.

We may have a new ISP by tomorrow, we may not. In the meantime, yup, trinity/BZ/www/download will all be slow.

Having to move our main site to a backup was not anticipated. Damn you shared hosting!!

ed
Question Ed,
1. Did this have anything to do with the increased downloads / bandwidth used / etc?
I'm just wondering if this is a case of an ISP freaking out because of the great increase in downloads and such.
Just asking for my own knowledge. So many people use ISP's for hosting and sometimes the ISP does not work to our best advantage.

2. Did the ISP know that Neo 2.1 was being released and there was an expected increase of downloads?

Philip ( Looking for answers, in all the wrong places Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, FYI, yes it was due to our 2.1 release. We don't host binaries off of the usual download.* website; only the static webpages and the PHPs that rotate through the mirrors on the acutal download pages.

No, the ISP probably wasn't aware of our release.

Most likely what happened was that they saw a spike in our bandwidth usage...also knowing that we've had problems with their server PHP configuration before, they may not have been set up to handle the increase of an order of magnitude (!) in hits to the website and it may have caused their server to melt. It was on a shared hosting server which has not given us many problems in the past, only once before...

Anyway, they just moved our home directory to ease their server load by refusing all connections to our website. Without telling us. GROWL. The backup server is dealing, alebit humbly due to its bandwidth. Sad thing is that if we move back to our regular ISP chances are they'll just do the same thing, move away our home dir when the load gets "too much" for them, leaving our users in a lurch.

We're investigating different hosting solutions now and may get one up as early as tomorrow. In the meantime, we'll run off the backup and live and let live.

Not to argue against the ISP...until the load increased they were reliable as anything. The way the dealt with the load spike, however, is a bit disconcerting and definitely has wasted lots of Patrick's and my time.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:

For reference...the current load is sustaining at about 300-400 connections per second. Earlier when I was tweaking server settings still it was at about 2000 connections per second.

I can't guess what the load was when the ISP freaked out, but I don't blame them. Even my own werver wasn't properly configured for the load and it took a couple of hours to at least get it to the point where it didn't drop connections. The problem's no longer the server; it's just the bandwidth cap.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:

(now about at 700-800 connections per second)

Good thing is that it seems the major media outlets and digg don't give a rats' ass about us.

ed

/amazed at what a G4 can do
//amazed at how little bandwidth he has
///even with all the hits, still no girls (is anyone surprised?)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Good thing is that it seems the major media outlets and digg don't give a rats' ass about us.

There were 2 digg stories I've seen so far, but no one did seem interested in them. After all, they were announcing a free version; they weren't telling people how to pirate Neo this time Razz

OPENSTEP wrote:
/amazed at what a G4 can do

Go, G4, go!

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I guess it's not as cool unless it's illegal Wink

Now that the load is off and we got in touch with the ISP, we flipped back to the primary server. If something looks bad, just let me know here and we can switch to the backup. The ISP should now be aware of the load but it's slacked off enough Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1