Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.1 preferences folder, permissions and multi-users
OOo 1.1.1 preferences folder, permissions and multi-users

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotsopoulos
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.1 preferences folder, permissions and multi-users

I just installed version 1.1.1 for X11 and have noticed a few perculiarities.

Since I am an admin user and I installed OOo everything in the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1 got owner = "me" and group = "admin".

OOo seems to start up OK for me but not for other users. When starting as another user there is a message warning that the
"personal setting are locked" or currently in use. So I went looking for clues.

Firstly there doesn't seem to be a ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.1.1 folder.

Second, in the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1 folder the permissions are generally such that other and group never get write access.

I guess other users need permission to modify something in the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1. But that's not the way it's supposed to work. Version 1.0.3 seems to have handled multi-users properly (with an OOo folder in ~/Library/Preferences)

Have I missed a step in the set up or is version 1.1.1 still under development?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Did you install 1.1.1 via the InstallAnywhere installer available from ftp.neooffice.org or did you use some other installation method?

Multiple-user support on Mac OS X and migration of preferences into ~/Library/Preferences is presently unique to the IA based installer build. The multiple-user support is not in the standard OOo X11 based installers available from other sources as multiple user support is still very much in test. I just got it to the point where it was somewhat functional only two weeks ago Sad

ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject:

I should have mentioned that I was using the X11 based install method from a tar/gz archive. The "install anywhere" package is the mac osx based installer that comes as a dmg, right? Since it was mentioned above it is only just ready I'd like to download, test and provide feedback. Is the right file //ftp.neooffice.org/ooo111fix3rc1.dmg ?

My first impressions of OOo 1.1.1 are that it is substantially faster to start up and that there seems to be a slight improvement in the appearance of fonts. (still need to line up my test doc side-by-side).

Kotsopoulos.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject:

Yes, the dimage based installer is the one that has the extra multiple user and preferences stuff in it. That's the stuff that needs to be tested out, too. It is the ooo111fix3rc1.dmg file on the ftp server. You can read more about what specifically is in this dimage in the following topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=384

The "erasing hard drive" thing hasn't been seen yet, but I'd still avoid installing it anywhere outside of "/Applications" just in case Smile

As I get kinks worked out in the installer and update the build to the latest methods Kevin's using for his tarballs then hopefully the installer can be a bit more ready for the general public. I still haven't gotten any answer as to the IA freezes yet...

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1