Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Copy-Paste not working across apps
Copy-Paste not working across apps

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Copy-Paste not working across apps

A friend just installed open office 1.03 on his mac running OSX -
Open office launches and runs to run fine but does not seem to allow copy/pasting from native OSX applications e.g copy text from netscape mail into a text document in open office.
I read through the known issues and did not see anything relevant to this issue.

Here are two possible scenarios I can come up with
1. I'm a dumbass and am missing a simple tweak or doing something wrong
or
2. Since OO needs to run in X11 the it only sees items copied/pasted from within X11- it is not aware of native apps runing outside of the X server.

Has anyone encountered this? I'd really like to get my friend up & running.

Note: I'm a linux guy, not all that MAC literate at all...

TIA

Jon
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject:

Hi,

You wrote
Quote:
Since OO needs to run in X11 the it only sees items copied/pasted from within X11- it is not aware of native apps runing outside of the X server.

Which is a fair summary of the situation Sad

If you use OrobOSX (included in the OOo installer) or Apple X11 (bundled with the latest version of OSX, 10.3, only) as your X-server some copy/paste between the X and external worlds can work, but only for plain text.

Better integration between OOo and other apps is available in NeoOffice/J. Otherwise, you just have to save what you want to paste in some standard format like rtf or tiff and import it into OOo.
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:

The apple X11 app is supposed to handle the clipboard between the X11 apps and the native Mac apps. Sometimes it does a very poor job of it though. I find that hitting the copy paste buttons in swriter, and an app on the mac side sometimes doesn't do the job, pretty often I use the menu (edit copy) a the swriter level, or even the X11 menu, this seems to do the job more often than not, but it sure isn't perfect.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject:

The clipboard is definitely touch and go at times. If text transfer is failing, one workaround that I think Meinhard came up with was to use another X application as an intermediary...e.g. copy from MacOS X application, open emacs (or something) in an xterm and middle-click paste, select, then use the built-in OOo Paste command. I'm not sure if that's still the best one available, though.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1