Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - So why did AppleWorks die?
So why did AppleWorks die?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: So why did AppleWorks die?

Having just gotten her back on my machine to fix a related bug...why did AppleWorks die? I mean there's a more then functional home-version of a spreadsheet and wordprocessor, and the database module's FileMaker influence is welcome.

Heh. I'm always sad to see great products get abandoned but I guess that's the way things are. If AW was still a stock install with new machines I bet you'd see less people ponying up once the expiration notice occurs on that stealth 30 day trial Office install.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So why did AppleWorks die?

OPENSTEP wrote:
Having just gotten her back on my machine to fix a related bug...why did AppleWorks die? I mean there's a more then functional home-version of a spreadsheet and wordprocessor, and the database module's FileMaker influence is welcome.

Well, the spreadsheet had fewer features than a 15-year-old Lotus 1-2-3 1.0 for Mac OS, so if you wanted to do anything more than add a few numbers (including make them look pretty), you had to look elsewhere. (I used that 1-2-3 until I moved to Mac OS X and found Neo, because AW's spreadsheet didn't improve at all from 2.0 through 6 Sad ) Otherwise, I agree with you; the word processor was very good and the database more than functional.

OPENSTEP wrote:
If AW was still a stock install with new machines I bet you'd see less people ponying up once the expiration notice occurs on that stealth 30 day trial Office install.

AW was, in the Mac OS X era (pre-Intel; haven't kept up with the new Macs), only a stock install on consumer machines; conversely, the Office trial was only on pro machines. That doesn't exactly negate your point; if it were on pro Macs, I bet many of them wouldn't pay the Office tax, though.

Smokey
/ClarisWorks 2, 3, and 4; AppleWorks 6
//Lotus 1-2-3 1.0
///WordPerfect Mac 3.1 and 3.5.x

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So why did AppleWorks die?

OPENSTEP wrote:
why did AppleWorks die?

Mysterious are the ways of THE CREATOR
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So why did AppleWorks die?

MacRat wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:
why did AppleWorks die?

Mysterious are the ways of THE CREATOR

Why do I totally get the feeling that I am the Cylon god? Or that this last episode will suck wholly?

ed

/wishes I could make cool walking chrome toasters
//probably still wouldn't be enough to get me chicks, tho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:

As a tribute to the great program that is slowly fading into the sunset I now run it on my PeeCee. The writers of that program are geniuses. There is a nice article out there somewhere on the program and its authors.

Somehow I get the feeling the buglist wasn't quite as long...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject:

And, although it wasn't released to the best of my knowledge, ClarisWorks was also the ultimate OpenDoc container app. Another great technology gone to the grave.

ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, ClarisWorks/AppleWorks was a great program in its day. Its features were a little on the lean side but more often than not, it had exactly what was needed to get the job done. One of my favorite features was the ability to use multiple modules' elements in a single document. It was great to be able to create a spreadsheet from within a word processing document. I wish there was a similar feature in OOo/Neo. I don't think anything's ever quite matched AppleWorks for integration of its various modules.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, there was Gobe, which was originally for BeOS, I think, but never really got to the Mac. Apparently, there is a Windows version still available but it is pretty old now..

Best wishes,
Oscar

\who likes integrated apps, except for the way MS Office did it, but their interface becomes even more cluttered when using a Excel in Word..

Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
One of my favorite features was the ability to use multiple modules' elements in a single document. It was great to be able to create a spreadsheet from within a word processing document. I wish there was a similar feature in OOo/Neo. I don't think anything's ever quite matched AppleWorks for integration of its various modules.

I take it you are looking for something different that Insert>OLE? I've used that frequently of late to "insert" a spreadsheet into a Writer document. It does take Neo several seconds to switch gears when you double click inside the OLE frame, and I've had to learn to be careful about how I resize the frame lest I end up distorting the print or images within it. Not as smooth as AW, but it does work. And better for my purposes as it is easier to exchange documents with folks who use Office.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I don't think anything's ever quite matched AppleWorks for integration of its various modules.

I'd say Ragtime[1] does match, or is even better. Not my kind of office application, but you can very easily mix everything into one "container".

[1] http://www.ragtime-online.com/
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Ragtime's one of the original Mac guys IIRC...amazed to see it's still around! I'll have to check that out Smile

ed
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject:

... and why WordPerfect for Mac died?
I miss "reveal codes"... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:

If you poke around and have classic (or sheepsaver) you can still find the old WP 3.5e installers lying around. Still a nice little program.

Also found they got rid of ragtime solo. Meh, guess I'll have to deal with a trial Wink

ed
human
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I was very disappointed when Corel decided to cease developing WordPerfect for the Mac. It was a great program; I used it to write my master's thesis. It was certainly a nice gesture on Corel's part to give away the final version as a thank-you to its customers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you poke around and have classic (or sheepsaver) you can still find the old WP 3.5e installers lying around. Still a nice little program.

Also found they got rid of ragtime solo. Meh, guess I'll have to deal with a trial Wink

ed

Yep. got that installed (WP 3.5e) but rarely use it. And Ragtime too but again rarely use it, kinda funky looking. Always use Neo/J or if I'm in a real hurry, AW.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1