· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Microsoft
Microsoft

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Microsoft

Does Microsoft care that it gets people offside before they even use its products, I wonder? I have been mucking around with virtualisation, which has required me to re-install Windows XP a few times on my computer. The one copy on the one computer. This requires a draconian process called reactivation, where MS does its best to make you feel like a criminal and a naughty kid all at once. You have to actually call a number, stand in queue, then explain that you own a legit copy of this program and the reason you need it reactivated is that you are using it on a mac, and you are using virtualisation. OK, they usually give up at that point and accept that you must be telling the truth - or maybe they have never heard of a mac in call-centre-land.

Now here's the incredible part: The "customer service" rep dictates to you a reactivation set of numbers: in eight groups of six. At least I think it was eight. That's nearly fifty numbers to type in, get wrong, whatever. Our experience of MS suggests that such things are likely to get worse rather than better. How long before they make you type in a 100-digit code? And this is for people who are legit owners of their product! Thanks for buying from us, and we will continue to treat you like the valued customer you are?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

This sort of thing is why the Windows machines I look after all have Windows 2000 installed..

-Oz

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that sucks! I don't ever remember having that kind of problem with XP on Virtual PC, but perhaps it was different since perhaps to Windows VPC seems like the same machine?

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1