· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - The "Solver" in Calc
The "Solver" in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: The "Solver" in Calc

The new function "Solver" in Calc is a real enhancement. But of course, there is no help in Neo. Thus I just added an article in the wiki. It's here, only in French for the moment.

The Solver interface is only in English. It's not the end of the world, but it'd be cool to have some localization (I'm not complaining, just asking if will be possible in the future).

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Excellent article Jacqueline! Thanks really a lot!

Valter
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Solver" in Calc

jgd wrote:
The Solver interface is only in English. It's not the end of the world, but it'd be cool to have some localization (I'm not complaining, just asking if will be possible in the future)

I would think it should be possible...I believe ooo-build was working on getting a localization system in place that would interact with the patching mechanism. You may want to poke about there to see if there's anything we're missing.

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks Ed, but how can I "poke about there"?

Wonderful, Valter. Already translated into Italian. Sure, there is some magic somewhere Very Happy

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:

I put an English version here
Sorry, the images are still the French ones. I'll try to update soon.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:

Jacqueline,

Thank you so much for translating this article. Since the mathematical concepts involved are quite a stretch for me, I didn't dare try to tackle it. I have started the polishing process. (Plus, I never learned to think mathematically in French).

I do have one question in that regard, in the "Presenting the Problem" section, there is a phrase that reads "minimize profit" and I'm wondering if it should read "maximize profit." I put a comment in just under the sentence.

I just checked the French, and I'm reasonably certain that I'm right, but given that I'm a bit over my head when it comes to the content of this article, I thought I'd check.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Those kind of math problems scare me Wink I didn't really read the entire article, but it's great to see we now have documentation on this useful feature! Thanks to Jacqueline, Valter, and Lorinda for that work.

The wiki is officially growing so much that I can no longer keep up with it Wink It used to be that I looked at every change in every language...now I'm lucky if I can look at changes to the major English articles. Luckily, the team of editors is so solid I know everything is OK even if I don't have the chance to read every change Smile

Keep up the great work!
Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

Oh, I'm sorry Lorinda. Of course it's "maximize" instead of "minimize". The French version is correct. We call that "un lapsus" Embarassed

When it will be polished, I'll add images in English.

Thank you.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:

No worries. I got my left and right confused in a post in trinity yesterday--and that's in my native language!!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Thanks Ed, but how can I "poke about there"?

I wish I had some more info to offer, but I don't. I know ooo-build has been working on a localization system, but that's about it. You'll probably need to google for contacts since I really don't even know who contact. All I know is that it's come up for ooo-build but I really don't know if it's had any resolution at all.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject:

It's like they're the CIA or MI6 or something.... When I was trying to find a good "link" to link them to when writing stuff in the wiki, it proved pretty impossible.

The first hit is http://go-oo.org, which really explains nothing (it has lots of helpful links if you want to watch OOo code commits, but...). The next hit is the OOo Wiki here, which has another bit of info about how to build with ooo-build code, and a "list of unresolved issues" that "ooo-build" has with OOo.

We know it exists, but it's hard to find evidence of it Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject:

Should we put a reference to http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Optimization_Solver in our wiki page about Solver?

Valter

@jgd: I was searching for an example about applying the new solver function, so when I found your article it was natural to translate it immediately... in italian we have a proverb (?) like this "needs is the mother of inventions"...
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
Should we put a reference to http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Optimization_Solver in our wiki page about Solver?

Very good idea Very Happy
Quote:

@jgd: I was searching for an example about applying the new solver function, so when I found your article it was natural to translate it immediately... in italian we have a proverb (?) like this "needs is the mother of inventions"...

Perfectly true.

I just think that in French we are used to say "minimum d'efforts pour maximum de résultats" (= minimum of efforts for maximum of results, if translation needed). I think that it could be a good intro to the Solver Wink

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
It's like they're the CIA or MI6 or something.... When I was trying to find a good "link" to link them to when writing stuff in the wiki, it proved pretty impossible.

The first hit is http://go-oo.org, which really explains nothing (it has lots of helpful links if you want to watch OOo code commits, but...). The next hit is the OOo Wiki here, which has another bit of info about how to build with ooo-build code, and a "list of unresolved issues" that "ooo-build" has with OOo.

We know it exists, but it's hard to find evidence of it Wink

Smokey

Thanks for the links. It's not easy to find a way in this jungle! Specially for a non-developer as I am. But the long article ends with "don't get depressed"
Very Happy

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:

Valter,
I added the link in the French and English versions.
And I added a vocabulary list (only in French version, of course) to give translations and explanations of the En terms. I think that it can help users who don't read English very well.

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2