Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J now has Asian and Western European languages
NeoOffice/J now has Asian and Western European languages

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J now has Asian and Western European languages

I have just checked in a number of changes to the NeoOffice/J source code. These changes add support for several Western European and Asian language support all in the same installer.

What's more, NeoOffice/J will automatically detect which language your system is using and will use that language, if available. If you change your language no reinstallation is necessary as NeoOffice/J will automatically switch to your current language every time it is launched.

In addition, I have fixed some the following annoying bugs that were in the last release:

1. The default directory for saving documents is now $HOME/Documents instead of the buried ".../user/work" directory.

2. The default font is now much larger and the system font is used for menu's, buttons, etc. so that text is more readable and Asian text will render properly.

3. JDBC, in theory, should now work. I haven't tried this so if anyone can test it out, I would appreciate it very much.

Since these are very signficant changes (especially for those who are not native English speakers), I am planning on posting an updated binary and source sometime next week or two. Online help is messed up due to these changes since the underlying OOo code really wants each user to install only 1 language. So, if anyone finds anything really messed up, please post it to this forum.

If anyone is interested in trying this code out, check out the code using the following command:

Code:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.neooffice.org:/cvs co NeoOfficeJ-0_0_1 NeoOfficeJ

Important note: unfortunately, you will need to perform a clean checkout and build as OpenOffice.org needs to be completely rebuilt to get all of the non-English language resource files built.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject:

WOW!!

Let me repeat that...

WOW!!

This is astounding. If nothing else...a self-localizing binary, in Asian languages? Simply amazing. Congratulations. I really need to ditch my day job and work more on this. Ah, if only we could accept donations that don't go straight to Sun Microsystems!!

Really, those wanting a full internationalized OpenOffice.org should be using NeoOffice/J now. It's definitely the premiere international office suite solution available for Mac OS X, imho Smile I witnessed in person the power of the integration with the Katakana Panther input method at WWDC, and this localization is just another step in the finalization of the stake in the heart of Office v.X Japanese!

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject:

All,

I have fixed the online help problems that I mentioned earlier in this thread (and what a pain it was to find them!).

To get the fixes, do the following:

If your build is running and it has is already finished building OOo (i.e. the neojava/build.oo_all file exists), then kill your build. If your build has not finished building OOo, let it continue and kill it only after it has created the neojava/build.oo_all file.
    Execute the following command to get the lastest code:
    Code:
    cd neojava ; cvs update -A -d -P
    Execute the following command to force rebuilding of the NeoOffice/J code:
    Code:
    cd neojava ; rm build.neo_*
    Execute the following command the rebuild:
    Code:
    cd neojava ; make

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Fetching the "internationalisation" from cvs doesn

Hi,

when I try to get the internationalisation code from cvs I got the following error message:

[SchlesisPowerbook:~/SW-Entwicklung/NeoJ] thomas% cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.neooffice.org:/cvs co NeoOfficeJ-0_0_1 NeoOfficeJ
cvs server: cannot find module `NeoOfficeJ-0_0_1' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

What did I wrong?

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject:

Arghhh! I made a typo in the command line:

Here is the correct one:

Code:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.neooffice.org:/cvs co -r NeoOfficeJ-0_0_1 NeoOfficeJ

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Next problem ;-(

Hi Pluby,

now I got the following error message:

cvs server: Updating neojava/etc/user/config/registry/template/org/openoffice/Office
cvs checkout: in directory neojava/forms:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Tag: No such file or directory

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject:

Thomas,

This error usually happens if you are doing the checkout over an existing setup of directories. My guess is that you manually created the neojava/forms and neojava/toolkit directories (per the build instructions). Unfortunately, cvs really gets really confused by this.

If you have already created these two directories, you are going to have to delete them first, rerun cvs, and then rebuild these two directories using the following steps:

1. rm -Rf the neojava/forms and neojava/toolkit directories
2. run the cvs command
3. rm the neojava/build.neo_forms_patch and neojava/build.neo_toolkit_patch files
4. run make

After you get cvs to run without error, you shouldn't have any future errors as I removed the need to manually create these two directories in the latest build.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Built done, but ...

... there is no german language support. An the font size seems not to be larger than before.

Thomas

UPDATE: After trying a little bit around, I've now a bigger font size but not a german localisation. I can alter the language settings, but that doesn't change the menu language. After restarting NeoOffice/J, the language settings are reset to "default".

Last edited by schlesi on Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

Have you been able to integrate my ODBC updates? They are in IZ 16349.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=16349

Feel free to integrate them, I just haven't gotten there with NeoOffice yet.

Dan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Dan,

For my NeoOffice/J 0.0.1 build, I pulled the branch OOO_STABLE_1_PORTS of OOo on July 9, 2003. So, I have both patches.

If there has been any patches that were commited July 9 or later, please let me know so that I can include them.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:

Unicode, Unicode, when will the unicode being supported?!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject:

I don't understand your question.

NeoJ and OOo both use Unicode to process all keyboard input and to store strings.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I don't understand your question.

NeoJ and OOo both use Unicode to process all keyboard input and to store strings.

Patrick

The question is, when I try to type traditional Chinese, characters other than within Big5 encode range can not be input (the character is typed and show in the character chooser window but can't send into the doc). My system is OSX 10.3.2, and the new TCIM is support unicode Chinese characters input!

The doc I use is spreadsheet modular, and the encode I set is traditional Chinese. I already set the font used to a Unicode based Chinese font. And the same font I use can type character outside the Big5 encode range in other app like TextEdit without problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject:

This sounds like a bug in NeoJ. I usually test with a Japanese Hiragana keyboard and, with the font set to one of the Hiragino fonts, characters render properly.

Can you file a bug in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org) and list a font to use and a few sample key sequences (some that work and some that don't) so that I can try and replicate this problem? I would like to ensure that key entry and display of Asian fonts works as well as possible.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
The question is, when I try to type traditional Chinese, characters other than within Big5 encode range can not be input (the character is typed and show in the character chooser window but can't send into the doc). My system is OSX 10.3.2, and the new TCIM is support unicode Chinese characters input!

The doc I use is spreadsheet modular, and the encode I set is traditional Chinese. I already set the font used to a Unicode based Chinese font. And the same font I use can type character outside the Big5 encode range in other app like TextEdit without problem.

I had some time this morning and I tried to replicate this problem. Here is what I did:

1. In the "System Preferences" application, I set my language to "English"
2. I started NeoJ
3. Selected "Song" as my font
4. I set my keyboard to Big5
5. I typed the "~" key twice (Unicode 0x223C) and selected Unicode character 0x223C from the character palette

Using the above (either typing or selecting a character in the character palette), a square box was displayed in NeoJ.

I then closed NeoJ, changed my language to "Traditional Chinese" and did the same steps and I still got a square box in NeoJ.

Is this the problem that you are having?

If so, I found that the problem is in Java 1.3.1's font rendering. I found that I could easily replicate the same behavior in a simple Java problem.

I will have to see if I can hack into the Java VM to see why Java is restricting font rendering to the limits of the current character set.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2