· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NOMu, a menu item for accessing NeoOffice
NOMu, a menu item for accessing NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: NOMu, a menu item for accessing NeoOffice

Hello,

I've just a released NOMu, a menu item related to NeoOffice. To quote myself: "Sitting in your menu bar, it provides shortcuts to all NeoOffice applications (Writer, Draw, Impress, …), the opening of existing files, and a list of documents and templates you recently opened with NOMu." I like to use it, so I thought I'd share. It's available here.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Sau gut, Leif, Astrein!

It's a very useful little tool, and nicely put together. The one thing it lacks that would make me use it as my primary access to Neo docs is a keyboard shortcut option to bring up the menu - then I could access all the options straight from the keyboard. I'm sure a man of your talents could manage that...? Very Happy

In any case, it's already very neat (all the prefs you could want, saving the one I mentioned above) - though the icon clashes with my ShapeShifter theme, so I'm probably going to have to dig in and replace it. Smile Oh, and I notice that the icon takes up a little more menu width than the other ones it's living next to - only 1 or 2 pixels, but...

Thanks for sharing this with us.

- padmavyuha

*edit* I don't know how the copyright works on this, but a little ship globe icon would be cute.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't appear to work in OS X 10.2 Jaguar.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:

No version of NeoOffice released since 2005 has supported 10.2, either.

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Now that I've pimped my copy of NOMu, my menubar looks like this:

Looks good to me... Smile

- padmavyuha (homage to ShapeShifter Pulsar theme)

PS. faffing around on the forum at this time of the morning - ah, the joys of IBS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Guest wrote:

No version of NeoOffice released since 2005 has supported 10.2, either.

Understood. It just seems like the app doesn't depend on the version of Neo itself to do its thing, but rather the OS version... It looks for an app in the Applications Folder and has the Finder or terminal app launch it.

Similar to the way there are the Dock stub apps that work for later and earlier versions of Mac OS X like OS X 10.2 if you were lucky enough to d/l them back in the day as they too only seem available now for OS X 10.3 and above.

Same thing for the person looking for the older icon set. They can't get them anymore. You would have to realize that in advance and save/rename your old NeoOffice version or a least the icon files within if you know where to look for them before installinfg the latest version if you wanted to swap them out yourself later.

I wonder if the author will make the source code available for what I consider to be a breakthrough contribution to ease of use of NeoOffice with the clever menu bar app for others to tinker with?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: NOMu, a menu item for accessing NeoOffice

lsinger wrote:
Hello,

I've just a released NOMu, a menu item related to NeoOffice. To quote myself: "Sitting in your menu bar, it provides shortcuts to all NeoOffice applications (Writer, Draw, Impress, …), the opening of existing files, and a list of documents and templates you recently opened with NOMu." I like to use it, so I thought I'd share. It's available here.

Very nice app indeed.
Thanks a lot Very Happy
Are localizations conceivable in the future?

Jacqueline
lsinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I wonder if the author will make the source code available

I might consider that in the future -- for now, the code is just too embarrassing, sorry. Wink

Quote:
Are localizations conceivable in the future?

Indeed they are, I will put up a post here asking for translations once I'm sure about the process of localization.

Thanks everyone for your comments, praise, input. I couldn't be more glad. From the ideas mentioned here, I've made up a todo list for the next version on
NOMu's website.
Leif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. That answer fits in nicely with the kind of work day I had. People who created problems for me are not really working with me to help find a solution... Until you feel comfortable releasing the code that you are "embarrassed" about, although since I can't program a lick, I sure as h*ll would not find your code embarrasing, could you throw me a bone and tell me whether you are using Applescript at all and/or what path are you calling to open the different components in the soffice.bin?

TIA
lsinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Sure, if you have specific questions, just ask! No need to compare me with "people who created problems with you".

So, to answer your question: I do not use AppleScript, I use Objective-C. Looking through my code, I found I use this method:

absolutePathForAppBundleWithIdentifier:

It's there only since 10.3, which might explain your problems. I will change it to something which had been there since 10.0 in the next version, I hope to finish it this week.

Leif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Leif said:

[b]"No need to compare me with "people who created problems with you". "[B]

True dat. My apologies. Like I said, a rough day. Thanks for replying.

The incompatible code does seem to be the problem even if I'm not a coder. Much appreciated if you could swap that 10.3 code out for the 10.0 code if possible for future versions of your dandy menu app.

Thanks again.

For now I shall need to be patient and content with the Dock sub apps for Neo/J components launch with a single click.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Not working

Hi Leif

The program looks nice in my menu bar, and it launches new documents OK. I would like to be able to use it to launch from last documents, but it doesn't seem to be finding my recent documents or templates. There are never any entries in those slots. Am I missing something? Padmavyuha's comment above about prefs suggests i may be: I have only one pref to select and that is to launch at login.

OS X 10.4.9, NeoOffice 2.1, Intel 2.1Ghz, lots of RAM.

+ Will it be possible to launch new templates at some stage?

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: lsinger

If you use the "Open..." dialog of NOMu, it will remember templates as well as documents. Reading in the list of recent documents from NeoOffice itself is a feature I will still need to tackle. Added it to the todo list.

The advantage I see in only using the documents open via NOMu is that it enables you to exactly control which docs/templates go in there, so I've not yet completely decided on that.

Leif
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Leif,

I'm sure that all NeoOffice users appreciate your efforts, and your kindness in sharing your application with the rest of us. Very Happy

Keep up the good work. We look forward to your next ... adventure in coding! Cool

Philip ( Wow, What a GREAT community! Wink )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: lsinger

Anonymous wrote:
If you use the "Open..." dialog of NOMu, it will remember templates as well as documents.
Leif

OK that works. Smile
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3