· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Installation of NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 fails on OSX 10.2.8
Installation of NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 fails on OSX 10.2.8

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Lovell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Installation of NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 fails on OSX 10.2.8

I'm trying to install NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 on a Powerbook G3 running OSX 10.2.8. I've downloaded the .dmg, mounted the image, double-clicked on the .pkg file, get almost all the way through the installer, but near the end the installer fails and I get an error message that says "There were errors installing the software. Please try again." It appears to fail when the installer script is being run.

/Applications/Utilities/Console says:

Quote:
2004-03-17 23:27:58.969 Installer[715] Setting package as non OSInstall
+ '[' '!' -d /Library/Receipts/BSD.pkg ']'
+ '[' -x /usr/bin/sw_vers ']'
++ /usr/bin/sw_vers
++ grep '^ProductVersion:'
++ awk '{ print $2 }'
+ version=10.2.8
+ exit 0
Mar 17 23:28:03 Nothing authexec: executing /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Installation.framework/Resources/runner

2004-03-17 23:30:30.568 Installer[715] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSGenericException' (reason 'The post-install or upgrade script in NeoOfficeJ failed. (code 1)') that raised during posting of timer with target 1282f60 and selector 'taskCompleted:'

Help?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject:

To get the output of the failed script, run the installer but when it fails, do not quit the installer. Instead, select the File -> Show Log menu item. If you post the output that is shown, it might give me a clue as to what is failing.

Patrick
Chris Lovell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Here's the relevant bit:

Quote:
+ chown -Rf root:admin /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/dict/ooo
/Volumes/NeoOfficeJ-0.8.2/NeoOfficeJ.pkg/Contents/Resources/NeoOfficeJ.post_install: chown: command not found
+ exit 1
The post-install or upgrade script in NeoOfficeJ failed.
Install Failed
Error detected
Name: NSGenericException
Reason: The post-install or upgrade script in NeoOfficeJ failed. (code 1)

This puzzles me, because /usr/sbin/chown is present. /usr/sbin is in my path, too.

Chris
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:

Can you execute chown in a Terminal? This will at least make any corruption in the chown executable or its permissions apparent.

BTW, /usr/sbin is the location of my chown as well.

If you can't figure out why chown won't work in the installer but it works fine in a Terminal, you can hack the installer script to make the installer work. Just copy the entire NeoOfficeJ.pkg folder (its actually a folder but looks like a file in the Finder) somewhere. Then, make the copied NeoOfficeJ.pkg/Contents/Resources/NeoOfficeJ.post_install script writable and change all occurrences of "chown" to "/usr/sbin/chown" in the script. This will work around any path issues that the installer may be creating.

Patrick
Chris Lovell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:

Copying the .pkg to my hard drive and modifying the install script worked. I still can't figure out why the installer couldn't find chown. I was able to execute it in the terminal. I guess it doesn't matter now...

Thanks!

Chris
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject:

Well just to be safe, I changed the installer scripts so that they fill explicitly put /usr/sbin in the PATH so that this problem does not occur in future releases.

Patrick
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: I got it to install on 10.2.8

It installed fine, just crashed repeatedly on launch. Repaired permissions to get it to limp along, but it behaves very oddly; spreadsheets won't display formats, and caclulations won't calculate....

Is 0.8.1 still available for download? Cheers,

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I got it to install on 10.2.8

GibHenry wrote:
It installed fine, just crashed repeatedly on launch. Repaired permissions to get it to limp along, but it behaves very oddly; spreadsheets won't display formats, and caclulations won't calculate....

Repaired permissions? I have no idea what you mean by this as the NeoJ installer runs as "admin" so it has permissions to write to everything.

How, exactly, did you install NeoJ 0.8.2. Also, did you happen to run NeoJ as root or via the "sudo" command?

GibHenry wrote:
Is 0.8.1 still available for download?

Nope. I can't afford the disk space and download bandwidth to support archiving all versions.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1