Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Features proposal: QuickTime video support
New Features proposal: QuickTime video support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: New Features proposal: QuickTime video support

This thread was split from the main New Features thread.

Patrick,

I'm just picking off the top of my head but how about -

1. Audio / Visual. I think I remember Ed thinking about Quicktime support for Neo - or something like that.
That would be a Mac unique feature!
It might also address the long standing Issuezilla(# ??) problem with playing audio's through an entire PowerPoint/Impress display. I see requests for that almost daily. It's a point that holds a LOT of people back from using Neo/OOo suite.

2. I need to find Ed's old post about future possibilities....

3. Mozilla email links (Thunderbird / SeaMonkey). Hmmm

- Mac Spell Check - we already have something (in one form or another) via Language packs,
- Mac Address Book is nice -
but I use SeaMonkey and would much rather have full access to Mozilla address book.
(works with option #3 above)
Others may prefer Mac OS Address book. flip a coin....

I'm looking for features that are not already (partly) addressed by the current code base.
Something we don't have when moving away from MS Office. (Audio is the first one that comes to mind Idea )

Philip ( drat, now I have to go research something, again! Rolling Eyes )

<quick edits >
Neo & Quicktime
Neo & Video
Neo & Sound

Last edited by LemonAid on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
1. Audio / Visual. I think I remember Ed thinking about Quicktime support for Neo - or something like that.
That would be a Mac unique feature!
It might also address the long standing Issuezilla(# ??) problem with playing audio's through an entire PowerPoint/Impress display. I see requests for that almost daily. It's a point that holds a LOT of people back from using Neo/OOo suite.

You know we already support sound, right?

In any case, this is an area that might be worth putting out there. However, I think it might be way too big as one item and I would probably recommend breaking into two separate pieces that are put out sequentially (that is, don't try to fund the second piece until the first is piece already funded):

1. Implement the display of video support using the QuickTime APIs. We already play the sound using the QuickTime APIs so we have already handled the loading and tracking of both movie and sound files. In this piece, we implement the fussy task of drawing the movie frames to Java's underlying native window.

2. Modify the OOo Impress application code to continue playing the previous frame's sound.

The reason I'd recommend putting the second piece second is that 1) it is possible that OOo may fix this while are trying to fund and develop piece #1 and 2) Ed and I are not very familiar with the OOo Impress code so we would need to do research to scope this out.

Patrick
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject:

I would argue for Quicktime video support. The lack of video support in Impress is a real deal breaker for a lot of people.

Another thing that would be nice, if possible, would be the ability to import pdfs into Writer. Many people use pdfs of figures in their documents.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Actually, and this may be what Rob_06 meant, I am more interested in being able to use plugins in general than Quicktime in particular.

I know one can get a DivX and WMV framework for Quicktime, but I was hoping the Mozilla plugin code would be of some use here. Though I think I asked about that earlier and got a lukewarm response...

Best wishes,
Oscar

rob_06
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I have voted for this Mozilla bug 287345 to be fixed so that it works.

The idea of plugins for QT and alike sounds like a good idea. I have no idea how possible it maybe.

Cool
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

To me, QT seems like it may be feasible as there is a QT for Java framework that may have already solved the issues with drawing to windows managed by the Java VM.

I think a generic Mozilla-compatible plugin mechanism may be too much for us to tackle...older Mozilla plugins are CFM PowerPC and want QuickDraw contexts, and I really don't know if we could handle newer ones either. Hacking QuickDraw/Cocoa to behave with the Java VM is not an easy task.

Of the thoughts, I'd think that a QT plugin might be the most feasible. In theory, alternate QT codecs may work as well, but I am not sure...I have played only minimally with QT for Java.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

If a users installs Perian, DivX, and Windows Media Components, QT should be able to play most of what is out there.

Best wishes,
Oscar

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

Just to say: installing Perian and DivX together, they can conflict with each other.

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Just to say: installing Perian and DivX together, they can conflict with each other.

- padmavyuha

Where did you get that info from ? What kind of problem(s) can it cause ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:

FYI. A test patch is now available that implements movie and scanner support. More details are in this forum topic.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1