· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 0.82 soffice.bin crash
0.82 soffice.bin crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: 0.82 soffice.bin crash

Hi, I've been using 0.7 through 0.81 without problem, but 0.82 fails to launch every time, saying soffice.bin crashed. (The final line of crash report mentions ApplicationEnhancer which I think is some shareware I had installed before 0.81, could that be the cause?)

regards,
John McKeown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Contd

Sorry - I should have said this is on OSX 10.32 (and just tried with same result after 10.33 upgrade) on an iMac.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I can't guess why NeoJ is crashing. If you can file a bug in Bugzilla (see http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) and attach a full crash log to the bug. The crash log will at least tell me which place in the code the crash is occurring.

Patrick
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: 0.8.2 crash on launch; Calc won't calculate!?

I also had NeoOffice/J crash on launch 3 times in a row. I repaired permissions and restarted, whereupon it launched successfully, but the spreadsheet module acts weird: Number formats, though still applied, don't display the applied format, and formulas visibile in cells don't calculate.

Specifically, I have a deposit ticket spreadsheet. The date is formated as "March 19, 2004," with a default value of =NOW(), which displays correctly. As soon as I enter 3/19, that's all I get; previously, that would display as formatted, but now it won't.

Also, numbers typed into a cell display left-aligned (like text), without the commas specified in the cell formatting.

Worse, the calculation which totals the deposit [=SUM(CheckList)], won't total; it just shows zero.

Suggestions? Cheers,
--
Gib Henry

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Gib,

Two points that I have:

1. It is impossible to fix crashes without real data (i.e. the crash log).

2. Mucking with installation (as you have discovered) can really mess things up.

Trying to troubleshoot your modified installation (I still don't understand what permissions you are supposedly repairing) is not something that is reasonable since your modifications are likely to be causing the strange behavior in NeoJ.

Instead, I suggest that you reinstall NeoJ 0.8.2, file a bug in Bugzilla (see http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/, and attach your crash log when it crashes.

With a crash log, I at least have a reasonable chance of fixing the crash and posting a patch.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: check SystemUIServer ?

This post may be completely off topics, but...
Some time ago, I experienced a session where Neo/J crashed many times in a row. I was unable to characterize the reason nor to reproduce it. I posted a thread in this forum about my suspicion concerning memory limit overflow. I'm still not sure of what happened, but I noticed afterward that the SystemUIServer process was hung.
One can check it using "Activity Monitor" application. Hung applications are displayed in red. Quitting a red SystemUIServer automatically restarts it.
This is only, once again, a clue and may be unrelated to Neo/J crashes but is worth checking.

Also, there has been suspicion that after updating Neo/J, some older cached file/library can come in the way. I can't figure how, but sometimes a reboot helps.

Sorry if I am completely out.
Max
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: check SystemUIServer ?

Max_Barel wrote:
Also, there has been suspicion that after updating Neo/J, some older cached file/library can come in the way. I can't figure how, but sometimes a reboot helps.

This might be a possible cause. When I develop, I constantly rebuild and copy in new libraries and Java code into NeoJ to test my changes. Every once in a while, NeoJ will crash on startup and leave no crash log right after I copy new files into NeoJ. But after such a crash, it starts fine.

My theory has been is that Java is not updating its Java class cache. Java caches the Java class files in memory so that Java will not have to reload class files that you have already loaded at least once. My guess is that Java, on certain occasions, does not update it cache and so I am running new C++ code with old Java code which causes a crash.

Fortunately, rebooting comletely clears the Java class file cache.

Patrick
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.82 soffice.bin crash

John McKeown wrote:
Hi, I've been using 0.7 through 0.81 without problem, but 0.82 fails to launch every time, saying soffice.bin crashed. (The final line of crash report mentions ApplicationEnhancer which I think is some shareware I had installed before 0.81, could that be the cause?)

You said the magic words - Application Enhancer (APE) is well known for causing instability in applications, particularly OpenOffice.org (on which NeoOffice/J is based). The appearance of APE in a crash log stack traceback is the clue.

I suggest you remove APE completely until you are satisified that it is not some other problem causing the crash with NeoOffice/J.

Regards, Terry
Rooster
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: upgraded just fine.

Patrick,
Just to let you know, my upgrade to 0.8.2 went just fine and everything seems to be running okay.

Cheers,
Andrew
Neville Rowe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Crash on Startup

I've just installed v0.8.2 and am getting the same problem - it's crashing with 'The application soffice.bin has unexpectedly quit' message.

In console.log I'm getting an undefined symbol which I would guess is the root of the problem

dyld: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin Undefined symbols:

/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/libsw641mxp.dylib undefined reference to ___vt_17SwTransparencyGrf expected to be defined in /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/libsw641mxp.dylib

Any ideas ?

This is v0.8.2 with patch-2 applied, running on a dual-cpu G5 running 10.3.3. Never run OpenOffice or NeoOffice/J before.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject:

Can you post the full crash log in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/)? I am curious which thread is crashing and what is happening in the other threads.

I just checked the binaries and that symbol exists. So, my guess is that the crashing is caused by one of the following two possible issues:

1. Your installation is corrupted. This is not likely to be the cause, but you can see if this is the issue by reinstalling NeoOffice/J 0.8.2 and then installing "patch-2".

2. If the crashing still occurs after reinstalling NeoOffice/J, then I suspect that having dual CPUs is part of the problem as I know that OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 would sometimes crash on older dual CPUs.

You can verify if dual CPUs is causing the problem, but it requires a little bit of effort. Here are the steps:

1. Download and install Apple's latest CHUD tool from ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/.

2. After installing CHUD, open the System Preferences application and you will see a new icon at the bottom called "Hardware". Click on this.

3. In the "Hardware" panel that appears, unclick the second CPU's "Nap" checkbox to turn off your second CPU.

4. Run NeoOffice/J and see if it still crashes.

If you are able to try the above, let me know if it stops NeoOffice/J from crashing. This will, hopefully, give me some idea as to how to fix this bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Neville,

If you are able to try turning off your second CPU using the CHUD tools and that stops the crashing, let me know and I can post a patch for you to try out. The "missing symbol" error that you posted really narrows down what I think could be causing the crash.

Patrick
Neville Rowe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Turning off 2nd CPU works

Cor, doesn't it look good. I've not tried actually doing anything with it yet but having turned off the second CPU it now starts fine repeatedly. However if I now turn the 2nd CPU back on again it works fine also - I presume there is something being cached somewhere which meant the cache got populated correctly in single-CPU mode and is now being used correctly in dual-CPU mode. I might be able to find that out next time I reboot this box.

You asked about the CrashReporter log - it doesn't say any more than was in my previous note however for completeness sake here it is. I'd put it in bugzilla if it had a full thread / library report but since it doesn't it doesn't seem worth while.

Neville

Host Name: Neville-Rowes-Computer.local
Date/Time: 2004-04-07 14:18:03 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.3 (Build 7F44)
Report Version: 2

Command: soffice.bin
Path: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin
Version: 0.8.2 (0.8.2 Build 641)
PID: 2336
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin Undefined symbols:
/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/libsw641mxp.dylib undefined reference to ___vt_17SwTransparencyGrf expected to be defined in /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/libsw641mxp.dylib
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:

Neville,

I think that you are right that after running in single CPU mode, double CPU mode works because Mac OS X has cached the library in memory. I expect that when you reboot, the crashing will reoccur.

Since the crashing stops in single CPU mode and its crashes in Mac OS X's library loading code, my theory is that Mac OS X's library loading functions are not thread safe.

I have posted a patch for you to try out. If you can try the following steps, this will tell me if the patch works or not:

1. Switch to dual CPU mode and reboot.

2. Run NeoJ and see if it crashes (I expect it to). If it does not crash, uninstall the CHUD tool, reboot, and run NeoJ again. If NeoJ still does not crash, stop here and let me know.

3. Download my test patch from http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-0.8.2-patch-experimental.tar.gz. Install the patch using the same steps as "patch-2": http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

4. Run NeoJ and see if it crashes. If it does not crash, reboot and run NeoJ to confirm that it does not crash.

Thanks for your help,

Patrick
Bronson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J crashes on startup

I am running OSX 10.3.3 on a G3, 300MHz, 512M RAM.

I am suffering the crash on startup problem, despite Patch-2 and numerous reboots.

I have a crash log.

Unfortunately Bugzilla hates me and will not accept my login or send me a verification of my password.

... just trying to help out with this crash on startup thing.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2