Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - downloaded .dmg file "not recognized" (truncated)
downloaded .dmg file "not recognized" (truncated)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: downloaded .dmg file "not recognized" (truncated)

After well over a year of successfully downloading NeoOffice and patches using the FireFox browser, suddenly I'm getting truncated files. I didn't realize it at first, but upon double-clicking the file I would get "not recognized. Then I was pointed to the NeoOffice Wiki entry that advises to check the byte count and if it is smaller than the reported byte count on the download page, it is only a partial file. It goes on to say that certain combinations of browsers and connections can bring this about.

So fine, excellent instructions from the Wiki explain how to download the files using curl in Terminal. Nonetheless, I'd like to figure out what has changed from being able to successfully download files through FireFox to the files' being incomplete and unusable. AFAIK, nothing has changed on my computer, but I don't know what might have changed at the level of my ISP; I don't even know what intelligent questions I might ask them to begin to identify or eliminate their service as a variable.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might begin tracking this down?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: downloaded .dmg file "not recognized" (truncat

vicjoe wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might begin tracking this down?

Most likely, our patch download server is experiencing high load. It is hosted on really cheap shared web hosting so if our site or some other site hosted on that server is overwhelming the server, stuff like this can happen.

Patrick
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: downloaded .dmg file "not recognized" (truncat

pluby wrote
Quote:
Most likely, our patch download server is experiencing high load. It is hosted on really cheap shared web hosting so if our site or some other site hosted on that server is overwhelming the server, stuff like this can happen.

I begin to understand; but, I'm going to the same server around the same time when I use curl in Terminal, but it doesn't barf. I guess maybe curl is more robust in using checksums or some such?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I have never needed it myself, but we recommend curl as a backup, so I think it is more robust than plain http or ftp.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:

Browsers do tend to give up (or get confused, or both) more easily under less-than-optimal conditions; condition x causes Safari to do it, condition y causes Gecko browsers to do it, and so on. curl will also die a lot of times under these same conditions, but curl is good about resuming where it left off.

(Funny? story: the networking library in Gecko browsers supports resuming downloads, but no Gecko-based browser has yet implemented it Razz)

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1