NeoOffice :: View topic - Support Page and Resources
Support Page and Resources

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
You keep offering us suggestions, and we might petition Smokey to give you an official mystic wiki elf hat and wiki editing account! Very Happy

Seriously, though, as gifted as you are at finding links, it would be easy for you to add links to the wiki. The syntax for url links is very simple:

Lorinda
Shocked Oh My. There is always that ... danger.
I tried for a (non-mystic) Wiki account many moons ago. I think I got one (and forgot it?) and tried to play in the "Sandbox". My mind got all mixed up and I think I had "Drain Bamage" trying to understand all the details.

I wander off into a corner and decided that I was much better suited to doing research and re-reading the User Guides, answering some questions, and such. Given my limited time ( and brain capacity! Wink ) I decided to concentrate my efforts where I would suffer the least "Drain Bamage". (and NOT be a danger to others? Rolling Eyes )

I keep looking at the Wiki but have been working on other tasks and projects (including reading many lists on ... the other side!). That is where I get many of my ideas from (Mac Porting, Users, Marketing, various forums, etc).

If it gets to be to big of a ... problem/burder/pain-in-the... Please let me know and we will see what can be done? Duck-tape??

Philip ( Who's ideas exceed his ... abilities? Wink )

\. My wife already "suspects" I spend way to much time in the Trinity fora! Embarassed

\\ Hmmmm just adding links? BACK AWAY from the KEYBOARD! Evil or Very Mad
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Mostly I was teasing you. Very Happy

You are right that it is easy to spend "too much" time here, so by all means keep reasonable boundaries.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:

grin,

Let's hope that we all are ... careful in our lives! Balance is good? but not as much fun?!? Confused

and while I was NOT on Trinity, I found: http://www.oooforum.org/links.phtml.
Looks like they have many of the same links Shocked Smile

Philip ( Needs a little ... teasing/abuse at times! My wife says so all the time! Rolling Eyes )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Lorinda wrote:
You keep offering us suggestions, and we might petition Smokey to give you an official mystic wiki elf hat and wiki editing account! Very Happy
Shocked Oh My. There is always that ... danger.
I tried for a (non-mystic) Wiki account many moons ago. I think I got one (and forgot it?) and tried to play in the "Sandbox".

I was going to say... Razz

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Smile Pay NO attention to the man behind the ... Wiki (Smoke?) Screen! Surprised

In the words of
Quote:
W C Fields
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." Cool
Now, back to MY point of view! Laughing

I was looking at Andrew Pitonyak's web page about Macros and found this!
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoHelpOutline
Lots of links to lots of stuff. This would make a good Reference Link for the Wiki References page.
They seem to have found many sites. (and maybe we could follow some of their examples?!? Wink )

Philip ( I try to test Google searches before I list them here. It's always a surprise what "I" find Shocked )

\. and wonder why others don't do a simple ... Google search? Rolling Eyes
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

QUESTION: Is it just me, or does it seem that the amount of Guides, Documentation, References and other stuff for OOo has ...
    reached a Critical Mass Question
Almost every time I do a Google search - I find something new, more detailed than before, or details on something that was not previously well documented! It's kinda ... exciting! Very Happy
Next someone will be writing a blog about our little - NeoLight!

Philip ( Exciting - but very ... hard to keep up! Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Philip. I added it to the "Related External Links" category. (Hmm...I may end up changing that name to something more descriptive, like "Other lists of resources" or something. We'll see.)

I'm not inclined to copy over everything from their page. I know you like long lists, but in some cases I'm happier with just pointing people to a site with several resources and not trying to list all the resources in our wiki. (i.e. the OOo books at lulu.com).

But if/when I get around to revamping the module pages, that list may be a good resource for module-specific documentation resources.

Lorinda
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Thank you.

Just to be clear, I was NOT suggesting that you copy over everything. Embarassed
I think NeoWiki should include just have the most important and/or relevant items.

Like things that get asked a lot, or Key reference documents and such.
It seems that the other listing has lots more items and it can act as a excellent ... "extended" resource listing. Smile

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that "everything" should be copied.
I was just thinking about how some of their titles sounded, and key references that we don't already have.

I think you are doing an OUTstanding job and think this will help the many new users that are appearing! Don't let me ... cornfuse you. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( I owe, I owe, so off to work I go! Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject:

The initial work on the "Documentation and Related Resources" page is done. Tonight I rearranged some of the information on the "NeoOffice Support" page. I commented the entire "How do find Usage Information" section; the links are alll on the "Documentation...." page, and the other info has been incorporated into the "English Support" section at the very top of the page.

I left the old structure commented in case Smokey or other wiki elves decided the old system was better. Smile

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

At first glance, it looks good Smile

Can you fix/adapt Talk:NeoOffice Support to sync with the new state of affairs for the intro?

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks for the proofreading. I'm afraid I've never been very good at proofing my own writing. (I do pretty well with someone else's, though). In school I had to print it out, and wait several hours (preferably days) to have any hope of catching most of the errors.

I'm too tired to try to update the Discussion page tonight, but I've added it to my to-dos. I must admit that I didn't even notice it there.

I can't update the German sample, though. Ich habe zu viel deutsche vergessen!

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Thanks for the proofreading. I'm afraid I've never been very good at proofing my own writing. (I do pretty well with someone else's, though). In school I had to print it out, and wait several hours (preferably days) to have any hope of catching most of the errors.

I'm the same way Wink The number of times val1984 or Samwise corrected my mangling of "language" exceeds the number of seconds in a day, and to this day when editing articles I still happen upon errors I introduced when writing something in the wiki years ago (can we use "years" yet when talking about the wiki? It certainly feels like it...).

Lorinda wrote:
I'm too tired to try to update the Discussion page tonight, but I've added it to my to-dos. I must admit that I didn't even notice it there.

Sure; I was too tired to work through all your changes Wink I had sort-of forgotten about it, too, since it's only mentioned in the hidden translation note at the top, which I happened to read.

Lorinda wrote:
I can't update the German sample, though. Ich habe zu viel deutsche vergessen!

We can replace it with a French sample; we just happened to have a) more German speakers than French around at the time we created that page, and b) Germans driving the creation of that page. I just want to make sure we capture the slight differences between the English text and what we decided non-English pages should use.

Actually, we might want to revisit some of that text—particularly the part about the English wiki being "more comprehensive" Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject:

Praise to the Mystic Wiki Elves. Very Happy

The updated "Neo Support" page looks good and the new "Resources and ..." looks great.
Having read many of the articles available from the listed lines -- there is a LOT of Resources listed! I wonder how many people will actually take the time to ... check them out. Rolling Eyes
This will a good link to list for new users questions.
Many THANKS to all.

Question? Is there any way to ... highlight the 5 steps listed?
- Bold the links ( Resources, NeoWiki, Tips and Hints , Search ...).
Code:
 - Maybe a Box outline around the 5 steps?

I just ask because I missed the "Documentation and Related Resources" link the first several times I looked at the page. Maybe my eyes are getting getting a little ... old? Shocked

Philip ( Wheeeeee, Look at all the ... resources! Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:

New reference found
Quote:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=50952
Requests for sources of information about scripting are posted fairly often. This thread is intended as a reference for relevant sources. Hopefully, it can also serve as a source of links to information on other recurring topics.

Found reading links from Solveig Haugland: "Huge, detailed list of links for using macros in OpenOffice.org"

Philip ( WOW! ... more stuff that I don't have time to ... read! Wink )
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:

I just translated the English Resources page and added French Resources. It's [url=http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Fr:Documentation_et_Ressources_Associées]here[/url].

Pour les francophones : je ne sais pas si j'ai choisi la meilleure approche ? Si vous avez de bonnes idées pour améliorer la page (et si vous avez de la documentation à conseiller…) Merci.

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4