· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Package Like Gimp.app
Package Like Gimp.app

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Package Like Gimp.app

It would be more user-friendly if you packaged OpenOffice.org like Gimp.app:
http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

(I'm not a programmer, so I don't know the details or the feasability of this idea.)
Michael
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject:

I had been thinking about this too. the basic idea, which is take Start OpenOffice.org and all of its functionality, and put that into an .app program seems reasonable.

First, it would depend on code transplanting. Terry had done ALOT of work on Start OpenOffice.org, and if the code couldn't be pulled over, then the .app would have to start from scratch, which is a little too far back to step. (Terry would be more versed on this than I am)

The other is a philisphical question. (even if i can't spell it)Writing, building and maintaining an .app program for gimp is a full project. How much do we want to dedicate to the X11 version of OO.o? Personally, an aqua 1.0.3 is much more appealing than a cutting edge X11 version.

I think that Neo/J is the package for mac OO.o. Stable, well integrated into the OS, and my default word processor. Start OO.o brings X11 to the not so experienced user.

But these are my thoughts, and I am someone who talks alot, not a developer, what are other thoughts on the matter?

-j

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1