Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Keyboard combo for 'Paste and adjust style'
Keyboard combo for 'Paste and adjust style'

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
znerd
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Keyboard combo for 'Paste and adjust style'

In native Mac OS X applications, there is a standard keyboard combo for 'paste and adjust style': Shift-Option-Cmd-V. Examples include Pages and Keynote.

It would be consistent if NeoOffice would support this as well.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject:

You may be able to get close to this behaviour by customising the NeoOffice keystrokes, however as NeoOffice doesn't support the Opt (Alt) key it isn't possible to get exactly the combination you desire.

Andy
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: New Features

Hi znerd

I notice you've added a whole swag of suggestions as individual entries here. This section is really meant for a purpose: for people who may be prepared to pay for a new feature in NeoOffice. My guess is that that is not your agenda Smile Generally the suggestions here have been more major than what you are asking, ie about keystrokes that may work differently to what you expect. If I may offer respectful advice, these queries would prob'y have been better placed in "NeoOffice Support" to seek feedback from other users.

You will find that some things are different in NeoOffice, and much of that is due to the origins of OpenOffice.org, from which NeoOffice is built. If you try OpenOffice.org, you will see what I mean, and also see how much has already been changed to get to where we are. And I learnt fairly quickly here that what might look easy is actually what developers seem to call "non-trivial" Smile
Peter
znerd
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Approach towards capturing RFEs and donations

IMHO, it is wise to first determine which enhancements would help a product and then get the required money in order to cover those enhancements, for several reasons:

1) it allows you to have all enhancements in one place, giving you the added benefit of completeness;
2) the people that are willing&able to spend bucks may not be the same people that can describe enhancements;
3) a side-effect may be that more developers will be attracted, possibly first picking up some smaller RFEs, such as "put <<Save As...>> under Shift-Cmd-S".

I see several ways forward for NeoOffice:
1) Capture RFEs.
2) Get Sun's interest and get their developers on-board, avoiding duplication of efforts.
3) Interest other open-source developers and help them get started.
4) Using the RFEs, get companies to donate in order to improve the product.

I really love NeoOffice, but it still has some rough edges that make it hard for me to deploy it in commercial settings where the MS Office license fee is not an issue. So I'm doing what I think may help NeoOffice become the dominant Office suite on the Mac platform.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Approach towards capturing RFEs and donations

znerd wrote:
I see several ways forward for NeoOffice:
1) Capture RFEs.
2) Get Sun's interest and get their developers on-board, avoiding duplication of efforts.
3) Interest other open-source developers and help them get started.
4) Using the RFEs, get companies to donate in order to improve the product.

Right. It costs real money to run NeoOffice. We've been doing this for nearly five years with a significant portion funded by myself, Ed, and a very small number of key donors.

The strategies that you are suggesting made me laugh as I have heard these same suggestions in every open source project that I worked on. I particularly love the "don't duplicate effort" comment. Duplicate what effort? Neither Sun nor OOo has been able to produce anything other than "we're planning on doing it" statements. In other words, Ed and I are the only people doing this work.

And no offense but the "get companies to donate" is a variation of the oft-repeated "give me the features I want but get somebody else to pay". Sun pays good money for a few people in OOo to do just that and they have met with very, very limited success in this realm. Based on that, Ed and I have no desire to hire an expensive fundraising staff member chase after large donors.

What it really comes down to is that the prime beneficiaries of the product can have new features but they must pay for them. Sorry you don't like that, but I believe our new features program page is very clear about how our program works and why we are doing it.

We still welcome your postings, but realize that so far, all of your requests are not trivial (read cheap) work. However, to move forward, your requests need to get a lot more people expressing the same interest. At that point, I or Ed will estimate the cost and stick it up on the web page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1