· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Merge data from spreadsheet to text document
Merge data from spreadsheet to text document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osxgeek

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Merge data from spreadsheet to text document

Hi,

I'm trying to merge data from a spreadsheet to a text document. Its not so much a mail merge (I'm not trying to create a letter) but a 'list merge'. So I want to take data from the spreadsheet and present it formatted in a text document, one 'record' per line.

I've got so far by creating a new text document and selecting insert -> field -> other. I then select my data source (the spreadsheet) and drag each field into my text document. I end up with a single line in my text document with the various field names, seperated by spaces, other plain text etc.

The part I'm not having a lot of luck with is the actual merging of the spreadsheet and my 'template' text document into a new document. At present I'm entering the mail merge wizard and jumping straight to the final step (save and print document). I choose to save merged data as a single document. The document which is generated is almost what I want, but every record from the spreadsheet is inserted on a new page. What I want is a long list of records, one per line.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going about generating this list the right way. If I am, how can I prevent the merge from putting one record per page (essentially put a line break between each record rather than a page break)?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide?

osxgeek.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject:

Don't know if this is what you want or not, but here goes:

Select View->Data Sources, and select the spreadsheet you're using. Select all the records (click in the left column next to the first record; shift-click in the left column next to the last record. All records should be selected.)

In your document, click the mouse where you want to start inserting stuff.

Now click the Data to Text button in the toolbar. A dialog opens, titled Insert Database Columns. In the first line, Insert data as: , choose the Table radio button. Now, work through the dialog setting things up the way you want them. When you click OK, the table is created, and all your data are transferred to your document.

Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

You might try this:

In the Writer document, create a table, with as many columns as you have fields you want to input, and as many rows as you have records.

Insert the appropriate fields in the first row (or second row, if the first row has heading titles)
copy this entire row and paste in the next row; continue until the rows have the appropriate fields.

I'm not certain that this will work, but it is based on how Neo creates labels.

Depending on what you are doing, you might also find it easier to create a Form in Base; one of the layout options in the Form Wizard is a list akin to what you are describing. More specifically, in Step 5 (Arrange Controls) of the Form Wizard, Under "Arrangement of the Main Form," Choose the layout that looks like a spreadsheet (called "As Data Sheet").
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1