Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - I can't open MS Office documents from outside NeoOffice
I can't open MS Office documents from outside NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wart
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: I can't open MS Office documents from outside NeoOffice

I recently replaced my PC with an iMac and it has been like welcoming an old, but much improved friend back into the house.

I have installed NeoOffice and so far I am delighted with it. Except for one small proble which I haven't been able to fix.

Whenever I try to open an office file from outside NeoOffice i.e. by double clicking on a .doc or .xls document I get error code "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -10660)."

Now I remember back in the good old days I could associate particular file types with particular programs. How do I get the mac to sling these office documents into NeoOffice instead of MS Office?

Hey, it may be basic, I may be over 50, but I am one of those people who would prefer to ask an expert rather than spend hours on the net. I have check NeoOffice help, Finder help, Wikipedia, general google search on the -10660 code.

Help!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject:

Maybe you can try this way:
Select your .doc or .xls document in the Finder and press Cmd-I to get the Info window.
In that window, in the "Open with" drop-down menu, choose NeoOffice.app then click on "Change All" to get all those documents opened by NeoOffice.
It should work.

Jacqueline
wart
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

Genius!

Problem solved.

I love you. If you are ever in Asquith, NSW, Australia you are most welcome to stay with me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

BTW, this error means that the application currently assigned to open these documents is still on your Mac but in the Trash (often this is a MS Office trial, but sometimes older versions of NeoOffice if someone upgraded but didn't let Neo just upgrade the older version in-place normally).

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

wart wrote:
Genius!

Problem solved.

I love you. If you are ever in Asquith, NSW, Australia you are most welcome to stay with me.
Welcome to NeoOffice "wart".

Be sure check out the NeoWiki for even more help. Especially the following links:
❖ NeoOffice Support
# Troubleshooting Tips
# Tips and Hints for Using NeoOffice
As problems are resolved we try to add the information to the NeoWiki to help others.
I refer to it almost daily. Lots of GREAT information and links to other resources.

I'm kind of scared that if this information is helpful, I'll have to visit you in NSW!
(just kidding - I'm just teasing. Although I do hope to visit Australia some time in the future! Cool )

Philip ( Hoping to visit the world, one NeoOffice user at a time! Wink )

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1