Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo J and OSX 3.3 Font Book
Neo J and OSX 3.3 Font Book

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Neo J and OSX 3.3 Font Book

First off, Many thanks for Neo J, installed beautifully.
Not confident enough on my new Mac to install the patches, so apologies if it has been fixed.
I had only Neo J write and font book open to make up a new collection of fonts that I had on both Mac & PC that Neo J could read and use. Made & named the new collection, but although it looked as if the fonts were being added they did not show up. Tried a few times with no luck so tried to delete the new collection without success.
Quit both then reopened font book, all the collections I had previously made up had gone. Remade them plus the new one, No worries as long as Neo J was asleep. zzzzzz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject:

NeoJ only updates its list of fonts when it first starts up. So, if you add fonts in FontBook while NeoJ is running, you have to restart NeoJ before NeoJ will see the new fonts.

In theory, it is easy to identify when FontBook adds fonts. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get Java (which NeoJ uses for all font drawing) to recognize when fonts have been added. Sad

I would encourage you to install the patches as they fix many annoying bugs that have been found since NeoJ 0.8.2 was released. In essence, NeoJ is always getting fixes and improvements and patches are the simplest means to get those fixes out to everyone.

Patrick
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply,
I obviously didn't make myself clear. I was only making the collections of previously installed fonts in Font book for my own use, Neo J had already loaded all the fonts it could. ( I have several that it doesn't like) I had Neo J open just to check which ones were OK.
The problem is that the OSX 3.3 Font Book will not make up user collections of installed fonts while Neo J is open.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Applying the patches

Although applying the patches might seem complex from reading the instructions on the download page (or perhaps these Very Happy, but these are more-or-less plain English), it is really fairly simple.

1) Download the patch file; make sure that your browser does not automatically "decode" the patch (or let another application do so); the patch needs to have the extension .tar.gz

2) Open the folder(s) which contain NeoOfficeJ and the downloaded patch file (default for the former is /Applications; for the latter I think it is the Desktop).

3) Open the Terminal--in /Applications/Utilities; shortcut for opening this folder is shift-command (aka apple)-u

4) At the terminal prompt--looks something like
Code:
[your-computer-name:~] yourname%

Type
Code:
cd
followed by a space; then drag the NeoOfficeJ icon into the terminal window. (This will "fill in" the rest of the command, i.e., the path to Neo/J.) Hit return.

A new line/prompt should appear and it will indicate that you are now in NeoOfficeJ.app:
Code:
[Krak-des-Chevaliers:/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app] smokey%

5) Type the following:
Code:
sudo tar zxvf
followed by a space; then drag the patch file icon into the terminal window. (This will "fill in" the rest of the command, i.e., the path to the patch to be applied.) Hit return.

Be very careful with sudo! It can allow you to do dangerous things if used improperly--possibly even break your OS.

6) You will be asked for a password; enter your administrator password (your login password if you are the only user on your Mac) and hit return.

The patch will be installed--you'll see some lines like
Code:
Contents/MacOS/libdtransjava641mxp.dylib
and then a new prompt.

7) At this point, the patch will have been successfully installed. You can quit the Terminal and throw the patch away and enjoy a newly-improved Neo/J (the first launch after patching may take longer than usual as things are updated).

I'm sure someone could whip up an AppleScript or shell script that could do this with one double-click, but it's beyond my meagre scripting abilities--and it's only two lines of commands to "remember" Very Happy

Here's my terminal session for installing NeoOfficeJ-0.8.2-patch-4.tar.gz--yours will look similar

Hope this is helpful rather than confusing Smile
Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject:

Sue,

Sue wrote:
The problem is that the OSX 3.3 Font Book will not make up user collections of installed fonts while Neo J is open.

I cannot replicate this problem but maybe I am missing some detail. Here's what I did on my 10.3.3 machine (note that I have NeoJ "patch-4" installed):

1. Open NeoJ and wait until it is fully started up.
2. Open Font Book and create a new, empty collection called "MyCollection".
3. Select the "Web" collection and drag the "Arial Narrow" font to the "MyCollection" collection.
4. Quit Font Book.
5. Restart Font Book

After doing the above, the "MyCollection" collection had "Arial Narrow" in it. Let me know if I am missing any steps.

Also, if you don't run NeoJ but, instead, run TextEdit, do you experience the same problem?

Patrick
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick, No Problems making up collections with Text edit open.

Hi Smokey,
Many thanks for all the info. Have downloaded patch 4 but the Tar file is 4.tar, No gz. How do I stop it being unpacked as I also have a Contents folder containing the info plist and folder with 6 items?
I prefer most downloads to unpack so just need to know how to stop it being unpacked for the patch and how to reset it back to default. I'm using Safari but have IE available. OK you guys, stop laughing Smile I'm on my own here and my 'Panther missing manual' isn't much help with this.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject:

With IE, Control-click on the patch link (this is like right-clicking on Windows). This will bring up a popup menu. Select "Download Link to Disk" and this will save the patch file without it being unpacked.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Sue wrote:

Many thanks for all the info. Have downloaded patch 4 but the Tar file is 4.tar, No gz.

I *believe* that when someone else had this problem, Patrick mentioned that using
Code:
sudo tar xvf

(+space and dragging the patchfile.tar onto the Terminal window) instead of
Code:
sudo tar zxvf

will work. (i.e., dropping the z)

I've just tried the above and it does appear to work properly.

Sue wrote:
I prefer most downloads to unpack so just need to know how to stop it being unpacked for the patch and how to reset it back to default. I'm using Safari but have IE available. OK you guys, stop laughing Smile I'm on my own here and my 'Panther missing manual' isn't much help with this.

No laughing going on here at all Smile We're a big family and want to make you feel welcome.

The solution to the unpacking problem should be to open Safari preferences (Safari menu: Preferences; or command-,), go under the General "pane" and uncheck the "Open 'safe' files after downloading." (If this doesn't work, settings in Stuffit Expander will need changing, too.)

FYI, there's currently some debate whether having "Open 'safe' files" checked (the default) is a security hole. See http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/playground/security/diskURLscheme/ for a good summary of the whole vulnerability and links to different sites claiming having the box checked is dangerous--or irrelevant.

Hope this helps!
Smokey
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Guys,
I downloaded link to disc rather than messing around with Safari & Stuffit. Patch 4 installed, Neo J & Font Book are playing nicely again Smile The info & the clear screen shot were a great help, thanks again Smokey.

JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject:

FWIW, most compressed downloads will be handled by Stuffit Expander (but not all, e.g. .zip files are now handled directly by the Finder). If you launch Stuffit and then open its preferences, you can choose for the app to prompt you to choose the location for the un-stuffed files before it decompresses them. Obviously, once you are prompted, you can cancel this for e.g. the patches for Neo/J and this will leave the downloaded file untouched. Not as "convenient" as having Stuffit work entirely in the background, but more useful than disabling all Safe applications in Safari.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1