Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Inserting special characters
Inserting special characters

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgspencer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Inserting special characters

I'm a lawyer writing an appellate brief. When I insert the character for section, §, it disrupts my spacing; that is, when I insert the section character, the page looks like some of the lines are double-spaced, while the lines with the character appear to be 2.5 spaced. Any help is appreciated.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:

What version and patch level are you using? (The current patch is patch 5).
Are you using any test patches?

What font are you using? Does changing fonts affect this?

Does the same thing happenin in other programs (e.g. Text Edit, Appleworks, etc.)?

Lorinda
rgspencer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Inserting special characters

2.1 patch 4.

Using Courier New. Tried it in times new roman, same thing happened.
rgspencer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Oh, not using a test patch.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

So far I have not been able to reproduce this, unless the section symbol is a larger size that the surrounding text.

If this is happening when the section symbol and the text are the same size, could you post a small screen shot that displays the spacing issue? If you can't use the appellate brief in question for the screen shot, you could use something some lorem ipsum text.

You should also download and apply Patch 5 (see the "Get the Latest Patch" link to the left). I'm running Patch 5, test patch 3. Test patch 3 is one of a series of patches working on improving text layout speed. That might be the difference, or it might not.

You didn't tell me whether or not the same thing happens in other word processing applications on your system.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:

By the way, I'll be off-line for the rest of the week. Hopefully someone else can be of assistance if you can provide the information I requested. I'm afraid I won't be available until Monday June 11 at the earliest.
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

Tested Fonts: Courier New and Times New Roman
No line space issues using "§"

Check the formatting of style sheets: do you have indents for "§" or is it part of a numbering preference.

Or did you just manually key in "§" (option 6) or use the menu bar: Insert->Special Character; make sure the "§" is in the same font/size as your entire document; the first time I inserted the special character I did not pay attention to the font selection in the pop-up window for special characters. The font Apple Chancery was used but it too did not affect line spacing.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1