Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - relative hyperlink syntax in Neooffice spreadsheet
relative hyperlink syntax in Neooffice spreadsheet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backvan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: relative hyperlink syntax in Neooffice spreadsheet

What is the syntax of a relative hyperlink of a "whatever.html" webpage that is the same directory as the Neooffice spreadsheet "something.ods"? I tried just entering the Web document name (i.e. whatever.html) in the hyperlink dialog box field called "Document" but that didn't work.

Referencing the Web Document with a absolute path works just fine. But I want to move this spreadsheet and the associated Web Docs to other machines so the absolute path idea is not so good. This ought to work; I just can't figure out the syntax.

Almost forgot. I'm running OSX 10.4.9 and Neooffice 2.1 patch 1 on a iMac.

Any ideas?

This is my first post on this Neooffice forum. Wish me luck.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice and to this forum backvan,

To insert a hyperlink to a .html document in a spreadsheet cell, you can proceed as follows:

Click in the cell in which you want to insert the link, then enter =.
In the formula bar enter HYPERLINK("file:///Users/your_name/path/to/whatever.html";"text you want in the cell") and press Return.
Example:
HYPERLINK("file:///Users/jacqueline/Desktop/test/index.html";"whatever you want "). Don't forget the quotes!

You can as well use the function wizard, HYPERLINK is in the spreadsheet category.

In the cell the text "whatever you want" appears and if you click on it the .html doc opens.

Hope that helps

Jacqueline
backvan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: relative instead of absolute

What you describe here is a absolute path to the WEb Document. What I am looking for is a "relative" path. for example "./whtever.html". But that didn't work. Maybe NeoOffice doesn't support relative hyperlinks but I suspect it does. Just can't figure out the syntax

Ron
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject:

Try this way, it works for me:

1) Check out in NeoOffice > Preferences > Load/Save > General that the box "File system" in "Save URLs relative to" is marked

2) Put your spreadsheet.ods and whatever.html in a same folder, say Test folder

3) Cick on a cell in the spreadsheet and go to
Insert > Hyperlink

4) In the dialogue that opens, in Document > Path click on the Open File button on the right, then browse to your whatever.html file, select it and click Open

5) In the same dialogue, enter a text in the "Text field" in "Further settings". Clik Apply

The path in the hyperlink appears still as an absolute one, but if you move the Test folder, even to another machine, the link is automatically updated. Be aware the two files spreadsheet.ods and whatever.html must remain in the same Test folder.

Jacqueline
backvan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject:

You are exactly correct. It worked like a charm. I may be brave tomorrow and move my little test xml and brother html docs over to MS Excel and see if it works there. And that will be on Winows 2000 box to boot. I'll let you know how that goes. Wish me luck. I'll be surprised if it works. Maybe

Ron
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject:

Happy to know that your problem is solved.
Good luck with Excel Wink

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1